Old 19 April 2003, 20:15   #21

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
CH, I know you mean well but you do go on a bit sometimes. RCD

Why would not having insurance cover prevent you going offshore?
I've said it before... Do your own thing and do it safely.

So, there is a conspiracy between you and DD. Do tell.

JW.
Old 19 April 2003, 20:16   #22

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Engine: GM Diesels
So are we talking all three tanks, in line, tandem style under the floor? Presumably the tanks are flat-ish, between the longits.
Old 19 April 2003, 20:25   #23

JF. I don't care. Tell how you would do it.
Were you a difficult child?

JW.
Old 19 April 2003, 20:37   #24

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally posted by jwalker
I think DD was winding you up! You gotta keep your eye on him!

JW.
As if I would
Old 19 April 2003, 20:38   #25

John, I'm not being awkward, but I need to know why your having 3 tanks! Is extra long range a big issue? If your thinking of wieght/ballance (re: moving engine FWD) if that's the case I would have a different answer!
Old 19 April 2003, 20:43   #26

JF, Make a hole, drop in a tank and shove it back, drop it another and shove it forward, drop in the last one = smallest hole in deck.

But I'm also after alternatives that might work.

JW.

Where did John come from. Are you testing now? Wrong
Old 19 April 2003, 20:48   #27

JF. 300 miles from Peterhead to Scandinavia. Long range could well be an issue.

JW.
Old 19 April 2003, 21:22   #28

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: To Exi
Make: new sib 4 man
Length: 8+ft
Engine: Mariner 4hp long shaft
JW no conspiracy just a valid remark in my oppinion.

And yes I do mean well,and if by demonstrating that there are lots of considerations to take into account, when attempting to fit out your own boat in todays regulated RCD world, then in an attempt to try and help somebody who may underestimate the complex issues here,I feel It may be of help to them.

As we all are trying to save money and sometimes fitting a boat out can seem attractive but it can be a long and ardious process unless skilled.The end result can be a loss in both finance and time.

I will watch and learn from the expertise available.

On the insurance question then my list of reasons for never attempting to go offshore in a boat uninsured for me and family/ friends would fill this page.

But Good luck with it.
Old 19 April 2003, 21:41   #29

OK.
My opinion is always to keep things as simple as poss, so the stuff on an earlier post about valves and shifting fuel around is for me, out of the question.

The reason I wan't to know about range (I reckon you'd need 80 galls to safely cover 300 miles) is that my first option for layout would be to keep the tanks, and thus the main mass of changing weight (full to empty) as close to the quiescent point of the boat as you can so that it's handling is changed as little as poss by the changing from fully loaded with fuel, to completely empty.

If you have have three tanks, all in line and with the minimum parts=simple theory, ie, a large link between each tank, gravity feeding toward the rear, by the time your down on fuel your fuel mass will have shifted well aft!

On the other hand, if you can get your 100 galls in two tanks with a large flexi link between them (at the bottom of course) amidships (somewhere around the quiescent point) this would be, IMHO more favourable, I would then incorporate a bow ballast tank, as far FWD as I could which would be filled/emptied with sea water, race boat style(on the move) to 'tune' your ballance in differing seas. pipe your fuel supply and return to the rear tank, nice and simple.

I would fill from the rear tank, possibly from within the engine compartment as mentioned before, and have a large, say 1" breather from each tank(front top of course) which would go to a vessel of some kind to allow froth to dissipate, from this I would vent to the outside of your console, I would hope this would go some way to avoiding foam blowing out of said breathers!
Having said that, ribs don't lend themselfs to easy venting! on my real boat, the vents overboard, just below the rubrail amidships cause no trouble even if on the odd occasion they splurt a bit!
Old 20 April 2003, 06:16   #30

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
What on earth is RCD????

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse

But one little point worth mentioning here is The Hull if it has a rcd cat B Ce mark .....put through the tests To show conformaty to RCD cat B compliance.
Jon, I tried to read your article in that singularly useless rag called RIB International a few weeks ago. You know, the one called "The Road to RCD". I finished it but it meant nothing to me as I don't know what RCD means.

(Obviously the laughingly-titled "editor" assumed the whole world knows what it means because he didn't explain the initials once. Totally sloppy work.)

RCD - what the hell is it? And do I give a damn?
Old 20 April 2003, 08:22   #31

Who's gonna be referee here LOL.

My boat niether meets, nor has an RCD tag! We all have differing opinions on RCD, for me, it don't matter a shit! for some it's everything! I feel the only concern I have is how conformity to RCD may affect Insurance in the years to come.
"Recreational Craft Directive"!!!! by meeting this (european) directive, and having passed the various tests too prove such, means your boat will carry a "CE" marking to prove it meets these rules, and would be categorised for it's suitability for different sea states and for it's use in certain areas, ie coastal or way offshore. we are led to believe it's origonal idea was to equalise trade within europe (and UK) by getting a standard set of rules accross the board, so if you buy a french boat, or an italian boat, it's spec would be recognisable accross the continent and thus trade would be fair and easy.
I expect i've got some of this wrong, but I need not worry as my pal Mr Coats will I'm sure straighten me out (with respect to RCD anyway)
Old 20 April 2003, 10:18   #32

Morning all ,OOPs Have I been Bad again

Recreational Craft directive is also known as RCD if that helps .

As far as the title of the artical goes,unfortunatly that wasnt down to me,You will have to take issue with Mr HS for that one.

I am of the oppinion that some of the standards that are incorporated into RCD CAT B document are worth having as with most things not all are valid.

It is understandable why unless you are buying new today why it is of no significance,as to get an older boat through the regs for today would cost a considerable sum,and there is no real point as you are still allowed to use them in whatever Sea area you wish,for the moment.

I am of the oppinion that one should take note of them and personaly if buying from new should take them seriously and ask questions about them and ask for copies of stability curves ect as maybe in the future,The insurance companies may charge a premium for your intended use to keep you still be covered, if your in a cat C boat and want to use it in a cat B area.

Weathere your interested in it or not is out of my control. One can always ignor my comments on this subject as I am glad to say its a free world.

So Be happy you non conformers
Old 20 April 2003, 10:31   #33

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyhorse
So Be happy you non conformers
that sounds a bit kinda "ist", RCDist I geuss, bit like racist! next thing is, only "conformists" will be allowed in the clubs, or out of our houses after dark! harbour masters will carry a badge with a swasticker on it (is that how ya spell it)
Old 20 April 2003, 10:40   #34

Absolutly No ist intended,

Just what I beleive is good advice to somebody buying a new boat Today for the family,or a secondhand boat built after 1998 that maybe they want to use offshore.
Old 20 April 2003, 11:26   #35

OK JF. Thanks for your thoughts.

JW.
Old 20 April 2003, 11:27   #36

I've just looked back - it's DD who started off all this RCD stuff. Folk are right, you're obviously a trouble maker DD. Your mother must have spoiled you as a lad.

JW.
Old 20 April 2003, 11:59   #37

JW,
I've done a quick pic to explain wot I mean
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank-setup.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	2003  
Old 20 April 2003, 12:25   #38

JF That looks like a similar 2 fuel tank system that we are having installed in the eurocommuter.There may be some shut off valves somewhere and not sure where the breathers are but we have two tanks that I do know and two fillers,I think we can isolate either Tank off from the other and run on both or either one.The fillers are built into the transome housing so any spills go into splash boxes outside the hull
Old 20 April 2003, 14:37   #39
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
CH
Now that you have mentioned the Eurocommuter again, can you tell us anything about it's delivery timescale?
I bet you are nearly beside yourself with excitement aren't you?
Old 20 April 2003, 14:46   #40

Brian.They should of started this wk,but Its been delayed till middle of June for the start date, as they have an extra order for a boat tagged on to there Coast guard boat order.

They still recon she will be ready for Seattle boat show in September so we shall see ?

And yes I am looking forward to using her after all the work that has gone into sorting out all the stuff,but seeing as you asked I am little unhappy at haveing to wait a yr for my dream boat.Especially when the weather is great and all I hear is everybody going out and enjoying themselves on there boats.

Its frustrating but thats the price I have to pay for getting what I want. I have used this time as a usefull period to make what I believe are slight alterations to the original spec to incoroporate what I believe are good ideas into our new spec