Old 20 April 2012, 13:23   #1

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Flatacraft .....3 or 4 ?

As Friday afternoon in an office are generally not overly productive in my working week I'm falling into the trap of boating websites....

So , as I've been looking at a few small toys/projects to keep me amused I'm wondering of course about SR4s and now Flatacrafts....

I know they are not SRs, but anything to look for if I end up buying one to thrash over the summer and generally abuse and then sell on after I have given it some TLC ......

Pete
Old 20 April 2012, 15:36   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Pete

Not sure where to start really as I've quite a lot of knowledge stashed away about F4s because I grew up with them. My Father had one of the very first ones.

The only thing I can think of that's really worth checking is the strength of the inner deck moulding. The later boats used the 'spraying into the mould method' and some were very thin in places and split quite extensively.

The early and later boats can be identified by the grab handles and other small bits and pieces, but it's too complicated to detail here.

If you've still got my number give me a shout if you need anything.

My father actually had three over the years, and the pictures below actually show me growing up with them. I inherited the last one and wish I still had it. The only reason I sold it was to get a bigger boat that was more comfortable on a longer run.

Nasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RNflat1.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	67340   Click image for larger version

Name:	RNflat2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	67341   Click image for larger version

Name:	RNflat3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	67342   Click image for larger version

Name:	RNflat4.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	67343  
Old 20 April 2012, 15:46   #3

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Cheers Nasher - I had been looking through your days of high fashion in those pics before I posted ....

I think your number went when various phones have been dropped / sunk etc . I reckon its got to be an ideal toy to leave in a marina for peanuts and not worry if the tubes scratch against the pontoon etc .

Were/are they hypalon ( I assume so to have lasted ) ? Woudl make fixing one simpler.

Will be looking over the next month or two for one that can take a bit of TLC but also a bit of a bashing without too much worry ( and of course cost ). Of course the ideal would be a 'proper' SR4 - back to back seats etc - but quality costs and is rare. Something just appeals to me about back to back seating.

I reckon they are cheaper as they can take a smaller engine - have a shallower V than an SR so can 'go' with less HP but hopefully will sufferless transom problems as a result ....

If you see or hear of one let me know !

Pete
Old 20 April 2012, 15:50   #4

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Thought of some more.

Jockey seats seem to ruin them as it transfers your weight upwards out of the hull, plus I like the 'little sports car' feel you get as standard.
the standard seats also make it a true 4-seater, which you'd struggle to do with jockeys unless two passengers were on the tubes.

The last one had a Suzuki 45hp on it at first, which was great.
I swapped it for a 55hp and probably ruined it. It was very quick but less balanced and a bit stern heavy afterwards, plus it used to chine walk really badly until I put some Dole Fins on it.

Nasher.