Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 04 September 2009, 22:08   #1

Town: Helsinki
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude
Exported a RIB to Finand (new mebmer here!)

So, As I promised to Olly that I'll write a story how it all went...

Background: As I live here north, in Finland there are not very many options available, considering RIB boats, and buing one here was far too explensive for me this point of time. I've had a "rib" once. It really was a shitty one (sorry for U brig owners), A brig 450, rigged with all 25 horsepower Johnson... I don't actually want to talk about it. It's gone now....
I use boats for diving and wreck hunting. So I wanted a rib that was over 5meters, but not more than 6meters. Easy launch, easy to tow, but to able to carry 2-4 fully rigged technical divers from point a to point b. But also a boat that would be stable enough when driving with speeds under 3-4 knots when towing the sidescan sonar fish.

Choices: I didnt have any preferred model when I set the advertisement. But soon I realized, that someone writing a WTB advertisement from Finland to mainly British forum, does not get many replies. I got some and thaks for those. You all were in my mind when I was finaly arriving to UK territory. But then I tired to be active on buying side and in ebay. After many thougths I made my mind quite strictly to Avon SeaRider 5.4's. They seem to be something I was looking.(They are very rare here, only ones I've seen are in military use)... I did see also boats outside this forum, but condition vs. pricing did not met. Most of the sellers did not take me seriously, did not answer their phones or something. but I saw 5 different boats, and I was not forced to buy one, unless the price and condition meets. Nobody wants to call back to foreign number even you set a voicemail... But thats how it sometimes goes.

What I got: I got the searider that Olly had been refurbishing. It had some wounds, but overall it seemed to be in ok condition. So She left to fraraway north with me. Even Olly felt a bit sad, that I didn't care too much about his pride and joy, the Evinrude, tha he had brought back to life ;o) All I wanted was the boat!

How did it go: After the very first towed kilometers, to get the lightboard for the trailer, we broke the bearing, from right side of the trailer... With a lot of imagination, on a saturday night...we managed to build a new bearing from old bearings, and washers...(washer we took out from Ollys other seariders, yammie's propeller axle) Anyway, we got the lightboard working, bearing fixd, and I was ready to hit the road. After the first 300 km on the royal brotish ground, I was still very concerned about the bearings... I tried to get a spare one, but getting one on sunday, was a bit problematic... But I thought that if it lasts for 400 km, it will last some more, until I get to Germany, where I know the places where to get spares. So it went... that bugfixd bearing lasted from Portsmouth to Stansted, Stansted to London, and from London to Dover... From Dover I got ferry to Boulogne. No problemos, France highways, following the Belgium, and Netherlands... And I forgot the whole issue... There I was driving along, no extra sounds etc.
I spent a night in germany, and ofcourse I slept in the boat floor in sleeping bag (Car had alarms, boat did not) Then we went on, through germany...
But in Nothern Germany it started to happen.... I was happy to arrive there, buy some cheap beer to bring home, sleep in a hotel, with guarded parking lot....
Everything went fine until in the morning... Some one needed desperatly vw transpoter headlights, extra chromebumper and really wanted to take a look inside the cabin, through co.driver door, pickin up stereos, fire extinguisher etc. even the trailer had been lift off from the ball, but my extra steel lock had kept it connected to carbody.... So there I was... forced to take a ferry from Rostock to Helsinki, because of lost headlights etc. BUT Still happy about the stupidity of the theft...
I would like to send priceless greetings to the guys who attacked my car! The trunk was filled with beer, but also holding underneath of all camping equipment, two pieces of scubadiving rebreathers + a lots of other very valuable diving gear. worth 20K Eur...

The finnish legislation: You can import a boat without any extra taxes paid. This one was easy, I even got her registrated yesterday... but the trailer is going to be a hard part, well see more next week. In Finland thre are strict rules for trailers, and even class 01 neds to registered...

But the boat, how is she doing? As I said, she has now finnish registration number painted to tubes... I have glued the wounds she had. And my opinion is thart seems to be in a better shape I excepted. Tomorrow well go to the sea, finally. Lets see Olly, how the Evinrude runs...

Future: She was originally comissioned as diving platform to north sea, now she well get back to her old duties. Serving as diving platform again.
After cople of months the baltic sea will be frozen, so she will go into my garage for some new modifications. Iam planning to build an a-frame to suit my needs, an autopilot system because of the sidescan sonar towing and so on.
Some minor fixes to tubes & hull,but I want to keep her look "a bit sunburst" not to get anybody interested to stealing her....

So, meanwhile the winter comes, I might be interested of some electornics, mainly radar stuff which is quite pricy here in finland. Offers welcome.

If someone is interested about the diving stuff... We host a website called www.regulaattori.com Go there and take a look.
Maybe I post some pictures abour the boat in the baltics if someone is interested.

// Antti
Old 05 September 2009, 08:12   #2

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Great story - good luck with your new toy
jeff
Old 05 September 2009, 16:46   #3

Town: Rotterdam/Stockholm
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda
Thanks for witing everything down, Antti.
Two years ago I lived in Holland and bought a Humber in UK as well - around Cornwall it was! I bought it through Ebay and when I showed up to collect the boat the seller thought I was crazy and had not expected me to come at all, because of the distance. But the boat was nice and I could not find such a boat in Holland. For me the trip back was easy, nothing went wrong except for a jockey wheel coming down and touching the ground on the motorway, which is a scary noise the first time. 1000 km went fine and it was a great test for the trailer...

Now I live in Sweden and am considering buying another one (the Humber is a bit too small, this time I'll go for 5.8 - 6.5 m) and of course there is much more for sale in UK than in Sweden. As I go to Holland frequently, the distance from there to UK is not too bad.

How did you do with the trailer? Did you just drive it home without license plate? Or "make" a plate? In Holland (and I think in UK as well) the trailer can have the license plate of the car (if the weight<750 kg), but in Sweden every trailer that goes faster than 30 km/h needs its own license plate. That's actually the only issue I see now in getting a new used boat from abroad, since I don't feel like driving to UK with an empty trailer - one time a long trip is enough! Another option for me would be to buy a boat, leave it in Holland and then get a registered trailer from Sweden to pick it up, but that's still a long way driving "for nothing".

Best,

Stefan
Old 05 September 2009, 16:59   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahiltune View Post
Some one needed desperatly vw transpoter headlights, extra chromebumper and really wanted to take a look inside the cabin, through co.driver door, pickin up stereos, fire extinguisher etc.

Bet its JSP off here trying to make his VW not look so van like!

Can't believe someone would take them, thieving gits.
Glad you got back ok.
Old 05 September 2009, 20:29   #5

Town: Helsinki
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Engine: Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanV View Post
How did you do with the trailer? Did you just drive it home without license plate? Or "make" a plate? In Holland (and I think in UK as well) the trailer can have the license plate of the car (if the weight<750 kg), but in Sweden every trailer that goes faster than 30 km/h needs its own license plate. That's actually the only issue I see now in getting a new used boat from abroad, since I don't feel like driving to UK with an empty trailer - one time a long trip is enough! Another option for me would be to buy a boat, leave it in Holland and then get a registered trailer from Sweden to pick it up, but that's still a long way driving "for nothing".

Best,

Stefan
Technically speaking I just loaned the trailer ;o)...It had the GB plates behind it. My plan was to start speaking only Finnish if somebody asks something, and then just offer money ;o)

As I had that burgulary, I was also after that incident stopped by german police, and they did look the plates etc. but the also said, that everything is ok. I was just loaning the trailer!

On the finish side I am not allowed to tow it, unless it is empty!!! There is a law in finland for towed "equipment" that as long there is nothing carried on it it can be towed 60kmh... so I need to get the it registered now to get plates.
Old 06 September 2009, 10:31   #6

Town: birmingham
Boat name: dawnraid
Make: ribcraft
Engine: ob 200hp
rib to finand

first of all very well done as a diver myself i have gone onto othere site you certainlt know what you are doing. the caves & mines are very impressive .deep tech diving & vidio is not simple.
Old 06 September 2009, 17:16   #7

Town: Assendelft
Boat name: Raptor
Make: Osprey xr20
Engine: Merc Opti 150HP
Hi there,

Great story, and great adventure.
About telephone calls and emails: i've got the same isseu.
Most sellerds think that you're not serious cause your'e a foreigner.
I know of 4 people of the dutch powerboat forum who have travelled down to the UK for a RIB and 1 who collected a outboard and another one imported an outboard.
Problem in the netherlands is that there a lot of bleu water boats.
Nice for the family with a picknick............
I'm searching for a non nonsens RIB which can take serious waves without beeing affraid of damage.
So UK is the place to search.
It's nice to see that there are more RIB "lovers" around the world that have a look in UK