Boat name: Fandango
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
MMSI: 232028101
RIBase
Eurotunnel / ferry to France in August

Hi all

I usually trailer the boat over to France with Eurotunnel, but I'm considering taking the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre as a way to reduce time on the road and avoid the August craziness at Eurotunnel Folkestone.

The Ferry looks a bit pricer (considering Eurotunnel plus extra fuel/tolls) but puts usfurther into France (destination is Bordeaux), but I have heard that disemabarcation can be a lengthy due to French passport control.

Any experiences of using the Ferry in busy periods with a trailer?
Old 31 January 2020, 17:00   #2

Town: London
Boat name: Paradiddle
Make: Ribcraft 6.8/Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 200/Evinrude
MMSI: 235071824
From my 3 times experience of taking the rib to France by Ferry from Liphook, we did Portsmouth to St.Malo. I don’t remember disembarkation being overly difficult in fact on a motorcycle last year, it was probably longer. The rib and bike both in August. As an aside, will a rib with an A frame get on the Chunnel Ok ?
When we’ve done the ferry, height was definitely considered when loading. Also don’t forget to ditch any flares....we didn’t the first time.
Old 31 January 2020, 21:33   #3

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark241 View Post
From my 3 times experience of taking the rib to France by Ferry from Liphook, we did Portsmouth to St.Malo. I don’t remember disembarkation being overly difficult in fact on a motorcycle last year, it was probably longer. The rib and bike both in August. As an aside, will a rib with an A frame get on the Chunnel Ok ?

When we’ve done the ferry, height was definitely considered when loading. Also don’t forget to ditch any flares....we didn’t the first time.

Look at Newhaven/Dieppe, our preferred route of choice. No frills, laid back, quick disembarkation, 4 hour crossing. Join the Camping & Caravan club for £30 & get 10% discount on the crossing.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote