Old 24 February 2021, 10:19   #1

Town: Argyll
Make: Ribtech
Length: 5m +
Engine size Ribtech 5.35??

Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please, I want to change my engine for a younger outboard and I am tempted by the economics to downsize. I have a 5.35 ribtech I estimate is 1999 or there abouts I currently have a 1996 90hp Mercury 2 stroke that absolutely flies. I am considering moving to a new 60hp mariner 4 stroke and I have been offered a good trade on price.

There is another motor available 2016 75 mariner with 900hrs on it but regularly serviced.

Couple of things, I want to be able to water ski behind it but it's not the main use of the boat and speed isn't my priority. Would the boat be able to take the extra 25kg of the 75 from the 90? The transom is rated for 90 but I'm concerned this is specifically related to 2 stroke.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Peter
Old 24 February 2021, 10:36   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD99 View Post
Hi all, looking for a bit of advice please, I want to change my engine for a younger outboard and I am tempted by the economics to downsize. I have a 5.35 ribtech I estimate is 1999 or there abouts I currently have a 1996 90hp Mercury 2 stroke that absolutely flies. I am considering moving to a new 60hp mariner 4 stroke and I have been offered a good trade on price.

There is another motor available 2016 75 mariner with 900hrs on it but regularly serviced.

Couple of things, I want to be able to water ski behind it but it's not the main use of the boat and speed isn't my priority. Would the boat be able to take the extra 25kg of the 75 from the 90? The transom is rated for 90 but I'm concerned this is specifically related to 2 stroke.

Cheers

Peter

Performance wise, going from an old school 2t90 to a modern 4t60 will be disappointing. You will have to change “it flies” to “it’s good on fuel”[emoji6] What’s the boat rated to?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2021, 10:38   #3

90hp stamped on the transom.
Old 24 February 2021, 10:57   #4

RIBase
Quote:
90hp stamped on the transom.

Sorry I missed that in your original post.
Controversial but here goes:- I’d be looking for a nice used or even new etec 75/90. They are out of production so you might pick up a bargain from a dealer with old stock. They are going to be supported by BRP for the next 10 years. You need to be prepared to get minimal/zero residual after 10 years, so factor that into the price you pay. What you will get is a clean/economical/lightweight/minimum maintenance lump with buckets of torque for pulling a skier.
Or you could go for a 90/4t. Whatever you put on, won’t give you the same grunt as the 90/2t. But that’s Greta for you[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 24 February 2021, 18:19   #5

Apologies for the ignorance but what would be the benefit of getting a 75 etec over the 75 mariner that's local to me?

Used outboards are like hen's teeth at the moment and I have been quoted lead in times for new ones of up to four months!

Reliability is my main concern as I can't get an auxiliary on the back.

Thanks for the help

Peter
Old 24 February 2021, 20:00   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Apologies for the ignorance but what would be the benefit of getting a 75 etec over the 75 mariner that's local to me?

Used outboards are like hen's teeth at the moment and I have been quoted lead in times for new ones of up to four months!

Reliability is my main concern as I can't get an auxiliary on the back.

Thanks for the help

Peter

The Etec is a DI 2 stroke, I’m assuming the Mariner is a 4 stroke. Weight for weight the Etec will give more grunt & “probably” be lighter. Pulling a skier is about low down torque, which the Etec will have in spades compared to an equal hp 4t.
Old 25 February 2021, 07:15   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Stick with the 90 until it goes bang...look after it and should see years of service yet a while. 4 strokes are a little more economical but they are more complicated so ��. The 2 stroke puts a fizz in me dingle that tge 4's don't...consider the weight too...Let the thread know what you do....real useful information then.
Old 25 February 2021, 15:48   #8

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
them old mercury 2 strokes are very reliable if maintained .if its a good one and you look after it you could still be using it in 10 years time. the new 4t are lovely and quiet and the exhaust fumes dont seem to get you when ticking over or going slow but for the actual experience of hooning about in your rib there wont be £6k worth of improvement if you swap and if you go down to a 60hp it will feel like you have taken a backward step .if it was me id keep what you have if your outboard has issues thats a different thing
Old 25 February 2021, 22:01   #9

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:

Cheers

Peter
If you're thinking of investing in a completely new motor (ie spending a few Grand ...on an already oldish Rig) personally I'd give consideration to "moving on" what you have now "as is"..and putting the extra money to another better used Set up which does suit your needs more closely (that you can try out before you Buy!) ...and may well be a better Boat/Engine combo ...as well as investment longer term

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 21:49   #10

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I think any move from a 90 to a 60 you will regret. I'd say if you are used to a 90 2/S you will be disappointed with a heavier 4S with only 2/3rds of the power.

What's your thinking behind the change? I'd keep to a 90 whether 2/S or 4/S.

Tags
rib