Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
emergencySMS

It has been banded on here many times, and it is regularly repeated in the RYA handbooks that when at sea with limited mobile phone signal it is more likely that a text message will get through as opposed to a phone call. The other day therefore I decided to investigate this further: was it simply a case that when in trouble, texting 999 could replace a phone call? It is not I discovered, for first of all you must register you number with the services, and better to do that now at home than have to try and remember the instructions on how to do it when capsized mid-channel

So, for anyone interested, the instructions to sign yourself up to the (free) service are as follows:

Quote:
To register using SMS text messages you must:
Send the word 'register' in an SMS message to 999
You will then receive SMS messages about the service
When you have read these SMS messages reply by sending 'yes' in an SMS message to 999
You will receive a SMS message telling you that your mobile phone is registered or if there is a problem with your registration
More info here: http://emergencysms.org.uk/index.php

Describing its relevance to us a bit more: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=59071
Old 10 April 2011, 10:19   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Gothi, an interesting post although I don't ever recall it being discussed here in the past and certainly not many times. Do you know if a phone is out of range of its own service provider if sms to 999 can be routed via competitor masts as per voice calls?
Old 10 April 2011, 10:26   #3

Town: Surrey
Boat name: Fugly & Rokraider 1
Make: Pac 22 & Porter 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Ford 250 & jet,DT140
That is a very useful piece of information, thanks for posting it.
Old 10 April 2011, 10:53   #4

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Gothi, an interesting post although I don't ever recall it being discussed here in the past and certainly not many times. Do you know if a phone is out of range of its own service provider if sms to 999 can be routed via competitor masts as per voice calls?
Yes I believe so - a 999 will go via any available network. If you bring a phone down here with a UK sim card in, it will say "Emergency only" or similar, depends on the phone, and you can call 999 but nowt else.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2011, 11:50   #5
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Yes I believe so - a 999 will go via any available network. If you bring a phone down here with a UK sim card in, it will say "Emergency only" or similar, depends on the phone, and you can call 999 but nowt else.
Steven,

Yes I know thats what happens with voice calls here - I'm just not sure if that happens with texts? I should maybe have waited to register my phone until I was in an Emergency calls only area and tried sending the registration sms! I'll do that with Mrs P's phone.
Old 10 April 2011, 12:05   #6

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
I don't ever recall it being discussed here
Me neither.

Interesting post though I shall have a play after lighting the BBQ, it should not be too hard to convince my phone that I am in France.
Old 10 April 2011, 17:52   #7

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Cheers for that and well done for not mentioning the "O" word!
Old 10 April 2011, 19:21   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
That is so on my phone too but it will only allow dialling of a number when it's in that mode rather than allowing full access to the texting service, perhaps it's different on different phones.
A good post though Gotchiguy.
Old 10 April 2011, 20:01   #9
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
I tweeted this a few months ago... I registered my phone took 8 hrs for aknowledgement...

I been told it does not matter if you use 112 or 999 as both are routed the same way, and the modern day tech they can track you very quickly...

They tell you they will acknowledge your 999 request, unless you get this message assume it not gone through.

Was designed for the Deaf , but can be used by anybody...

Most important is to pre register your phone in advance.

Regards

S.
Old 10 April 2011, 23:35   #10

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Yes I know thats what happens with voice calls here - I'm just not sure if that happens with texts?
Now you mention it I don't think you can send texts at all on any of mine the only option is an emergency call. No idea if you can text 999 or not - it wouldn't work here anyway.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2011, 06:30   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR View Post
I been told it does not matter if you use 112 or 999 as both are routed the same way, and the modern day tech they can track you very quickly...
I was told by my local Dr that 112 can be tracked quicker than 999?
Old 11 April 2011, 07:37   #12
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Chewy I believe thats an urban myth. According to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number your phone is programmed to recognise both numbers as emergency numbers and routes them automatically - its doesn't actually dial it effectively says to the cell tower "this is an emergency call route it to the emergency services", rather than saying "please connect this phone to number 999".
Old 11 April 2011, 07:43   #13

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Engine: Yam 225
Nice backup option, however, not much good when your out of land based cell tower range, and cant be used for triangulation/DF by the CG/RNLI.

Not a replacement for a VHF.
Old 11 April 2011, 08:03   #14

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Quote:
Maybe he was referring to mobile calls vs landline calls?
Old 11 April 2011, 09:19   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Funny you should say that!
Old 11 April 2011, 09:23   #16
SPR

Quote:

A a Quote from Keith Colwell RNLI Divisional Sea Safety Manager South of England:
...there appears to be some confusion about whether it is better to use 112 than 999 since it allegedly gives a better position fix. (In case you didn't know the 112 phone number is the European wide version of 999).
I just thought I would share this information from the South Division DDI about how 999 and 112 calls are dealt with by the emergency services in the UK.
'The mobile phone system is networked for emergencies whether you are orange, vodafone, or any other network - all the masts will connect you if you call 999 or 112 - immediate priority is given and both numbers are exactly the same bar the buttons pressed.
112 was taken up in 2005 to come into line with the EU and 999 was only kept to stop all the old folk getting confused!
When a 999/112 call is received by the MRCC it goes through to the emergency phone. At the same time it is picked up by the operator of the 'Incident Management Computer' who starts a new log. This computer immediately opens a mapping programme which centres on the area thought to be where the call is coming from. The computer by the emergency phone does the same and flashes up data such as mobile type, signal strength, network receiving on. It also gives a circle or oval with the casualty in the middle and a radius (or two for an oval) - the smaller the distance, the more accurate the computer believes it to be.
Critically, the system works on signal strength not on 'direction finding'. This is fantastic if the caller is on a boat in a bay with three masts around it or on a mud flat with good coverage but if they are on a beach with a cliff behind them, (Whitsand Bay) they could be shielded from the nearest mast at Tregantle and a good/ better signal may be picked up from a mast further to the west. This would give a poor position. It is one of the many skills of a good Coastguard to question the caller properly to get as much, quality information as possible to help validate the position or reduce the area of doubt.
I have spoken to ,the watch manager at Portland who has in turn requested 999 and 112 checks to be done by Portland, Belfast and Thames Coastguards. This has been done to confirm that there is no difference in the quality of data that can be gleaned from each number and there is NO difference. He has spoken to their technical man and until recently an active CG on watch. He can see no reason for 112 to have any benefit over 999. '
So there you have it. It dosen't make any difference if you call the Coastguard on a mobile phone by either 999 or 112.
Of course, what would be better is to use a marine VHF so that everyone (in range) can hear but you know all about that already.
This was posted on RNLI-Extranet January this Year, i have removed peoples names from it for privacy...

Regards

Scott
Old 11 April 2011, 09:39   #17
SPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starovich View Post
Nice backup option, however, not much good when your out of land based cell tower range, and cant be used for triangulation/DF by the CG/RNLI.

Quote from:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250330
TERMINATION OF SEARCH & RESCUE (SAR) FIXED SHORE BASED VERY HIGH FREQUENCY DIRECTION FINDING (VHF DF) SERVICE
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

What is VHF DF?

Direction Finding uses the signal transmitted by a radio to indicate its bearing. Very High Frequency (VHF) includes the frequencies used by mariners.

Why are we terminating the Service?

The current infrastructure became operational in the mid 1980s. An operational analysis concluded that there was no longer merit in having a shore based VHF DF capability given the provision of the availability of the service on mobile SAR assets and the steady advent of new technology for locating vessels.

Don’t we have to have a VHF DF capability?

The International Aeronautical and Maritime Search And Rescue (IAMSAR) manual states that an RCC must have certain basic capabilities before it is recognised as having responsibility for a Search and Rescue Region (SRR). DF and position-fixing stations are listed as being required. IAMSAR allows for these to be either shore based or mobile.

How else can a VHF DF bearing be obtained?

All RNLI AWLBs and SAR aircraft have a VHF DF capability. Aside from locating a vessel by their nature they may be able to render assistance. The MCA SAR aircraft can also DF on 406MhZ (EPIRB). This capability may become of increasing importance with the use of PLBs inland.

Who have we told?

Our partners in Search and Rescue and Maritime stakeholders have been informed.

Do other countries have VHF DF?

Few other countries have fixed shore based VHF DF. These tend to be for Vessel Traffic Services (VTS). The Channel Navigation Information Service (CNIS) provided by MRCC Dover has VHF DF and is not affected.

Is DF being removed to save money?

Although cost has not been the driver behind our plans to terminate the fixed shore based VHF DF arrangement, replacing the current infrastructure would incur a capital cost of £8m with support costs of £16m over 10 years. It is judged that this would represent poor value for money.

The MCA is currently renewing the UK shore based DSC infrastructure for both GMDSS A1 (VHF) and A2 (MF) (30nm and 150nm from the UK coast) at a cost of £5.5m.

How else can a Vessels position be obtained?

The Global Maritime Distress Safety System (GMDSS) has the requirement for SOLAS vessels to carry two independent means of distress alerting with a position being in the distress message. These are Digital Selective Calling (DSC), and Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs). The majority of VHF radios available to leisure users since 1999 have a DSC facility. The cost of EPIRBs has fallen over recent years and we have seen a corresponding increase in take up, including amongst leisure users. HM Coastguard can also respond appropriately to other new and existing non-GMDSS alerting and locating devices. In addition, all vessels over 300 GT and an increasing number of small craft are now fitted with the Automatic Identification System (AIS).

When will the DF be removed from MRCCs

The equipment will be removed when convenient after 31st December 2010.

You will need two lifeboats with DF or the SAR copter to get a DF on your location now, if this cut went ahead.
Old 11 April 2011, 15:33   #18

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Registered, took just minutes, sensible looking service until all the assembled dross of the mobile phone generation abuse it.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote