Old 16 May 2011, 08:31   #1

Town: Syston
Boat name: TT Excaliber
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 10hp
Dye/Paint/Cleaner

Hello all

I have a Avon 280 rover rib and its looking abit tatty now, and I've desided to have ago at tidying it up for the summer (if we ever get one)

So far I've re-finished the keel and inside, repairing all the beching marks and giving it a paint in the stuff I use at work (2k solvent base and clear coat)

Question is what cleaners for hypalon have people had good results with? Also I've been looking on the internet and it would apear that you can get paint or dye for hypalon... do either work, without flaking off?

Thanks for reading all!
Old 16 May 2011, 09:23   #2

Town: Rosas
Boat name: Conqueror
Make: Valiant
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 150hp Merc
Send a message via Skype™ to Courageous
Hi J88 and welcome to these hallowed halls. I'm sure the "cleaners" will be along soon but in the meantime my boat was very tatty having been sunk for a while and left neglected for over 2 years in the spanish sunshine. The guys here pointed me towards traffic film remover. It gave me amazing results! It took away all of the milky surface and all of the tar and general dirt which was well ingrained. My boat is not hypalon but they say it works fine with hypalon too! Get scrubbing!

No experience with the paints but guess after they have been painted there's no going back......

HTH
Old 16 May 2011, 11:12   #3

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
This stuff works well for cleaning tubes.. Pro Marine Ribshine - Only £6.95 - Force 4 Chandlery

I would only do a small section at a time and use plenty of water to wash off.
Old 17 May 2011, 11:13   #4

Town: Syston
Boat name: TT Excaliber
Make: Avon
Length: under 3m
Engine: Mercury 10hp
ahhh ok traffic film remover is something I use at work alot, good stuff thanks for that
Old 25 May 2011, 12:41   #5

Town: Perth
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100 Yamaha 4-stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by J88GTM View Post
ahhh ok traffic film remover is something I use at work alot, good stuff thanks for that
I tried a number of "boat cleaners" but never traffic film remover (whatever that is). I asked a local RIB dealer for advice and he recommended a brand of cleaner that was $55! I had reason to talk to one of the guys in their workshop about a quote for some other work I needed and happened to ask the mechanic what they use to clean the tubes. He tols me to use a house cleaning product called "Jiff", also known as "Handy Andy". That, a few Scotch scourers and a bucket of warm water and I've got the best results out of all the expensive marine cleaners I've tried.

I would now like to paint my registration number which has faded. Any ideas on what paint to use, it's a PVC Zodiac tube.

thanks