Old 31 October 2023, 12:25   #21

Boat name: Bluefin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69cmw View Post
So are you saying that a boat trailer manufacturer puts on a 1500kg axle and that’s the total max load of trailer and boat he recommends. But DVSA say you can disregard what the axle is rated for and bang on 20% above it?
Utter pish or I’m reading it totally wrong 🤷
I would suggest you look at the DVSA rules before dismissing it as pish 😉

‘Variable loads’ is designed to capture the variables within the load, and with regards to a boat this includes the fuel and equipment loading at any given time.

I didn't even know about the rule until my son was with me and I mentioned to him about the weight as we passed over the weighbridge, and he told me about the 20% rule. This stuff is his normal day job as he has worked for the ‘ministry’ for many years.

On the Rapide trailer, (which is a build for Ribcraft), they fit a 2T hitch, but then put a 1.5T knott axle on it !
Old 31 October 2023, 12:36   #22

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
I would suggest you look at the DVSA rules before dismissing it as pish [emoji6]

‘Variable loads’ is designed to capture the variables within the load, and with regards to a boat this includes the fuel and equipment loading at any given time.

I didn't even know about the rule until my son was with me and I mentioned to him about the weight as we passed over the weighbridge, and he told me about the 20% rule. This stuff is his normal day job as he has worked for the ‘ministry’ for many years.

On the Rapide trailer, (which is a build for Ribcraft), they fit a 2T hitch, but then put a 1.5T knott axle on it !

I will stand by my pish comment, the way I read it is you are saying it’s ok to overload a trailer by 20% above what it’s plated for [emoji848]
Old 31 October 2023, 13:46   #23

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Length: 6m +
Engine: 225 optimax
Common sense would dictate some flex on weighbridges. Unless they are calibrated frequently I’d guess there will be some variance there between bridges
Old 31 October 2023, 14:22   #24

Quote:
I will stand by my pish comment, the way I read it is you are saying it’s ok to overload a trailer by 20% above what it’s plated for [emoji848]
No, it ONLY applies to variable load trailers, certainly boat and car trailers come into that categorisation.
Old 31 October 2023, 14:32   #25

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
No, it ONLY applies to variable load trailers, certainly boat and car trailers come into that categorisation.

Ok, I should have said boat trailer since this is a boat type forum [emoji6]

You are saying I can get a 1500kg rated trailer and load it upto 1800kg which is 20% more and that’s ok?
Old 31 October 2023, 15:37   #26

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
One thing I would add is the braked trailer v the unbraked. I use two RIBs one my own which is a Tornado 5m on an unbraked trailer and the other a 6m Tornado on a braked trailer and as many know the braked trailer is a pain with its rubbish shoes and adjusters.
Dave
Dave, which Tornado do you have? From memory, there was a 4.9m which was built for the MOD in fetching black tubes and grey hull, which Tornado then sold a few in orange. This was quite shallow and light. Next up used to be the 5.1m followed by the 5.3m.

Pete
Old 31 October 2023, 22:39   #27

Quote:
Ok, I should have said boat trailer since this is a boat type forum [emoji6]

You are saying I can get a 1500kg rated trailer and load it upto 1800kg which is 20% more and that’s ok?
No, of course it is not OK to tow an overweight trailer, they handle badly due to the limited suspension, and the brakes are not good unless adjusted to perfection.

I was just pointing out that if you are ever pulled with a boat trailer that is less than 20% overweight, then you are not going to get an overweight ticket and a £300 fine. However, if you had an accident with a 20% overloaded trailer, then I assume that the full weight of the law would apply !

My situation is being resolved. By reducing the weight of the 585, it will still leave me on the upper limit of the trailer. A friend owns a small business that builds aluminium trailers, so he is building me a 1800kg ali trailer, complete with ali axle.
Old 02 November 2023, 07:10   #28

Town: Hythe
Boat name: To be confirmed
Make: None
Length: no boat
Engine: None
Thanks all,

Very helpful comments and plenty to trawl through…

I do like the Ribcraft 585.

I live near Yeovil and once had a walk around the factory.

Tags
rib