Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker View Post
One thing that ribnobs do better then you hard uns..... websites

Well, I won't deny that the lanky streak of piss AKA Johnny 'limp wrist' Kennett has a fairly popular site here, but he has a five year head start on some of the more classy and upcoming UK hardboat sites, so we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out eh.

As you all prefer the 'like for like' approach, JK has a way to go to catch OSO, a site for shiny 'tupperware' (you know tupperware, it's the bit that turns your rubber dinghy into something that actually planes) they have well over 50 thousand members. how do you account for that?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/index.php
Old 08 September 2007, 21:07   #82

Town: East Coast
Make: Chaudron 33
Length: 6m +
Engine: Black uns
MMSI: dunno wot this iz
Why is it RIB's never caught on in the USA?
They seem to hate them, if i'm working across in Houston, the guys who are there in the office that are in to boats tell me they just don't like them because they are just damm ugly, there has got to be another reason,
Can any one answer that?
Old 08 September 2007, 21:08   #83

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Fuller View Post
Well, I won't deny that the lanky streak of piss AKA Johnny 'limp wrist' Kennett has a fairly popular site here, but he has a five year head start on some of the more classy and upcoming UK hardboat sites, so we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out eh.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/index.php
Oh Jonny... didn't daddy give you enough money when you were younger ? I think I've found your dummy somewhere
Old 08 September 2007, 21:08   #84

Bang
Old 08 September 2007, 21:09   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Oh Jonny... didn't daddy give you enough money when you were younger ?
He didn't give me any! never has....maybe that's where we differ.

Quote:
I think I've found your dummy somewhere

Oh good, haven't seen Manos for ages.
Old 08 September 2007, 21:24   #86

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Tell you what Jonny, hope you have all your i's and t's crossed, and kill cord inserted, cos 'if' a 'ribnobbur' pulls you from the water, spluttering, god forbid, and its a risk we all face,.. this thread will haunt you..The sea has taught me a healthy respect for my craft & crew, hard, soft or whatever. You wont be so scathing or so bold then
Old 08 September 2007, 21:27   #87

Quote:
Tell you what Jonny, hope you have all your i's and t's crossed, and kill cord inserted, cos 'if' a 'ribnobbur' pulls you from the water, spluttering, god forbid, and its a risk we all face,.. this thread will haunt you..The sea has taught me a healthy respect for my craft & crew, hard, soft or whatever. You wont be so scathing or so bold then
well i'm quite new to all this, so i guess it's more of a probablility, than a possibility. just hope it's one of the superstars from this thread that's able to save me.

BTW, do I sense a crumbling of the SOH??
Old 08 September 2007, 21:28   #88

Town: East Coast
Make: Chaudron 33
Length: 6m +
Engine: Black uns
MMSI: dunno wot this iz
No No No you've all got it wrong,
If you stick in at school little john get a good job save up one day you will be able to buy nice hard boats, If you DON'T the only thing you'll be buying is some tractor rubber inner tubes which you can stick on an old hard boat and kidd on your cool.
Old 08 September 2007, 21:31   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinddog View Post
No No No you've all got it wrong,
If you stick in at school little john get a good job save up one day you will be able to buy nice hard boats, If you DON'T the only thing you'll be buying is some tractor rubber inner tubes which you can stick on an old hard boat and kidd on your cool.

.....TAXI!!!
Old 08 September 2007, 21:40   #90

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 50
Oh Johnny Don't Stop

Please
Old 08 September 2007, 21:43   #91

Town: Christiansted.V.I.
Boat name: Froggy
Make: Avon SeaRider
Engine: Johnson 50
Oh Johnny Don't Stop

Please post a phot of your boat. We don't care if a shot of you in your "leggings" is included. I just want to see the rig.
Old 08 September 2007, 21:49   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
Please post a phot of your boat. We don't care if a shot of you in your "leggings" is included. I just want to see the rig.
ok.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bf28_1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	29888  
Old 08 September 2007, 22:51   #93

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Come on Johny don't be shy lets see that "Classy" Leviathan in all its gleaming glory .

And how can the americans think ribs are crap or ugly when thier famouse for hardley davidsons and cadilacks. They don't know the meaning of purpose just pose
Old 08 September 2007, 23:07   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
And how can the americans think ribs are crap or ugly when thier famouse for hardley davidsons and cadilacks. They don't know the meaning of purpose just pose
Whilst I'd be the first to agree with respect to Harleys, Cadies, and most of the production lake boat dross, when they take something a little more seriously, they do it quite well.

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...che_2.wmv.html
Old 08 September 2007, 23:31   #95

Quote:
Whilst I'd be the first to agree with respect to Harleys, Cadies, and most of the production lake boat dross, when they take something a little more seriously, they do it quite well.

yes the space shuttle springs to mind , Oh and don't mention friendly fire ,But hey they make bloody good guns and bowie knives .

http://media.boatmad.com/gallery/v/m...che_2.wmv.html
Nice vid classic example of American commentry "Go bob wow they got the Horsepower and the handling, and did he say 6-8 foot seas must have been the bit they didn't show "the boat didn't make it that time ", must be why they still measure in feet and inches .6-.8m doesn't sound half as impressive
Old 08 September 2007, 23:34   #96

Quote:
Nice vid classic example of American commentry "Go bob wow they got the Horsepower and the handling, and did he say 6-8 foot seas must have been the bit they didn't show "the boat didn't make it that time ", must be why they still measure in feet and inches .6-.8m doesn't sound half as impressive
I actually think the estimate of 4-8 feet was a bit off, more like 3-5, but..how the hell do you get .6 -.8M from 6-8 feet??
Old 08 September 2007, 23:41   #97

Quote:
I actually think the estimate of 4-8 feet was a bit off, more like 3-5, but..how the hell do you get .6 -.8M from 4-8 feet??

I didn't .6-.8m was about how that sea looked to me , or better described as glassy with a well spaced gentle swell. then they hit the 4 footer and nearly flipped it
Old 08 September 2007, 23:46   #98

Quote:
I didn't .6-.8m was about how that sea looked to me , or better described as glassy with a well spaced gentle swell. then they hit the 4 footer and nearly flipped it

I expect if your 4 metre zero freeboard rib were in amongst those swells, instead of a 41 footer, with a height from keel to deck of over 7 feet, they'd look more like 3-5 feet. As it is, you'll just have to imagine it, along with the thought of approaching a 5 foot swell at nearly 100mph. actually, I rather think it's unlikely anyone on this site has the first idea what that might be like.

so you keep battling the 18" chop with ya 25mph dinghy, and feeling like a warrior
Old 09 September 2007, 01:01   #99

Quote:
I expect if your 4 metre zero freeboard rib were in amongst those swells, instead of a 41 footer, with a height from keel to deck of over 7 feet, they'd look more like 3-5 feet. As it is, you'll just have to imagine it, along with the thought of approaching a 5 foot swell at nearly 100mph. actually, I rather think it's unlikely anyone on this site has the first idea what that might be like.

so you keep battling the 18" chop with ya 25mph dinghy, and feeling like a warrior
There ya go again biggin up up yours puttin down mine , Adrenalin is not all about Horsepower and speed .
No i haven't seen huge swells in a rib , But i do know what a very big swell feels like and looks like with yer ass at sea level , holding a 2m paddle upright in my hand outside the outer hebrides and around the Butt of lewis gave me a very good way of estimating wave height . and how far down the trough of a wave is as you start surfing down from the crest. A 5 m sea kayak was all I needed then to experience that . No horsepower and a 58cm beam . 41 foot and nearly 100mph
Old 09 September 2007, 08:08   #100

Quote:
There ya go again biggin up up yours puttin down mine , Adrenalin is not all about Horsepower and speed .
No i haven't seen huge swells in a rib , But i do know what a very big swell feels like and looks like with yer ass at sea level , holding a 2m paddle upright in my hand outside the outer hebrides and around the Butt of lewis gave me a very good way of estimating wave height . and how far down the trough of a wave is as you start surfing down from the crest. A 5 m sea kayak was all I needed then to experience that . No horsepower and a 58cm beam . 41 foot and nearly 100mph

Wassn'y talking about mine! you seem a little tetchy!...... but..WOW what an action hero you turned out to be! I'm in awe! ... Tell us some more about your encounters, I for one am rivited.