Old 26 October 2020, 09:24   #1

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Dive Bottle Rack at Bow?

I'm refurbing a 7.4m Delta and as it will sometime be used for scuba diving I'm looking to mount some deck fixings for my bottle rack.

Ive fitted quite a heavy outboard (max for boat) and want to keep weight forwards also wanting to keep 6ft clear rear deck space for potential to camp on the boat at times.

The boat will have dual console and 4 x single jockey seats installed so I'm thinking of mounting the bottle rack forward of the console, broadways across the boat.

It fits well here I can still deploy the anchor and open the console hatch easily enough however I'm thinking the motion at the bow might be a bit excessive for something like this and my concern is either the whole thing complete with dive cylinders being ripped out of the deck or the likelihood of cylinders breaking free.

Anyone else had much experience of ribs with forward mounted bottle racks, pros and cons?

thanks
Old 26 October 2020, 09:29   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
I'm refurbing a 7.4m Delta and as it will sometime be used for scuba diving I'm looking to mount some deck fixings for my bottle rack.

Ive fitted quite a heavy outboard (max for boat) and want to keep weight forwards also wanting to keep 6ft clear rear deck space for potential to camp on the boat at times.

The boat will have dual console and 4 x single jockey seats installed so I'm thinking of mounting the bottle rack forward of the console, broadways across the boat.

It fits well here I can still deploy the anchor and open the console hatch easily enough however I'm thinking the motion at the bow might be a bit excessive for something like this and my concern is either the whole thing complete with dive cylinders being ripped out of the deck or the likelihood of cylinders breaking free.

Anyone else had much experience of ribs with forward mounted bottle racks, pros and cons?

thanks

No experience as such, but I’d share your concerns re. The weight & mechanical forces on the mountings. The other thing to consider is access, will you have enough room to get the bottles (rigged?) Past the console to the kitting up area without lifting them onto the tubes, easy to drop one over the side.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:17   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
I'd say you're plan is sound...although another option might be HEAVY DUTY anchored points and ratchet straps especially if only a couple of sets of gear?...ultimately everyone configures their own RIB to suit themselves and thier usage.

If you need a Rack and with keeping the Camping option it's probably a forgone conclusion anyway...plenty Lager Ribs do have passenger seating in front of the Consul with little or no detriment...although the Consul (may) be but a little more aft.
The High Bow sheer on the Delta and its overall size will help together with heavyish engine may well will help ballance the RIG with forward mounted Bottle Rack.....
Weight towards the aft of any RIB is to be avoided ...whereas weight on the nose is only really of consequence in a BIG following seas when stuffing the Bow off a "Biggie" is the Danger .....when you probably won't be diveing anyway
I dived in all sorts of weather for years in RIBs some a lot smaller ...who didn't even have a Bottle Rack....we got by.
Go for it

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:40   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
we lay ours down on the deck with ratchet straps across and if possible retaining pieces to stop movement
Old 26 October 2020, 13:47   #5

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger 2
Make: Delta / Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 7m +
Engine: Various
MMSI: -
Good point ref moving them to the back, but with a few bodies onboard it shouldnt be hard to pass them back. We only dive single 15s anyway normally. Havent dropped one yet, but there is always that risk. I think I might go for it, the fixings I'd use for the bottle rack can easily have M10 male eye bolts wound into them and then the rack could be left at home and exchanged for some foam matting and ratchet straps instead to secure cylinders flat, or indeed, any other things that need securing down.
Old 26 October 2020, 13:54   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver 1 View Post
Good point ref moving them to the back, but with a few bodies onboard it shouldnt be hard to pass them back. We only dive single 15s anyway normally. Havent dropped one yet, but there is always that risk. I think I might go for it, the fixings I'd use for the bottle rack can easily have M10 male eye bolts wound into them and then the rack could be left at home and exchanged for some foam matting and ratchet straps instead to secure cylinders flat, or indeed, any other things that need securing down.

My last RIB had a 6bottle rack fitted by Ribcraft during the construction. It had 8 x M10 big heads glassed into the deck to hold it down.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 08:47   #7

Town: Beckenham
Boat name: No Name
Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard Suzuki 30HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
we lay ours down on the deck with ratchet straps across and if possible retaining pieces to stop movement
Same here Jeff. I only carry one tank ratchet strapped to the deck. Centre of gravity low, not in the way. Even use it as a foot stool.
Old 27 October 2020, 14:48   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I've dived with a few that have front end cylinder racks, they work well as long as there are enough people on board / kit / weight at rear to counter balance.

When diving with mine I have a cylinder attached to each seat back with a strap, allows for good support in a balanced location.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2020, 17:36   #9

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
My previous RIB (it was only 5.4m) had a bottle rack infront of the console. I always felt the console should have been further forward as the boat always felt light in the bow as I never had bottles on it! Can't see it being an issue on a boat your size though.
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote