scm

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Lynx 1, 2, 3
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 275
Design Cat of boats!

Hi All,
Having now had a good read of the proposed Inland code from the MCA. I have a design question: The following is from the code with regard to the stability test:

Unless a boat to which this Code applies is completely in accordance with a standard production type (refer to relevant part of BS/EN/ISO 6185-1,2,3:2001), for which a certificate of approval has been provided for the tests, the tests detailed below should be carried out...

My question is that my boat has a CE cat, which is C. Does this mean that it conforms to the above ISO? It also has an RCD but to dark to see at the mo!!

Many thanks
Stuart
Old 24 January 2004, 18:10   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
I would guess so but, as in my case, I bought just the bare hull/tubes, rated at CAT B. If this was the state of the boat type for assessment, it may then have to be reassessed after final build and be reclassified. This may be standard practise and it would be interesting to see what category is applied to final, ready for launch, boats of the same type. If the type plate was the same, it would be worth asking the question again.
Of course, the assessment may take place on a completed boat with the highest, likely in practise, GC and then there is not a ploblem for all other builds. (I'm a bit cynical, and doubt if this is the case.)
However, since ribs are often custom built, I feel it would be reasonable to ask of the company, what is its category at completion.