Old 17 January 2005, 11:17   #1

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Deck layout

Just building my new rib and been working on hull designs and getting a good allround rib that the interior has just been forgot about. i was hopeing people could advise on deck layout (whats best and why) it is a 6m and will be used by me mainly (wanting to go fast) and family every other week (in sunny season).
Old 17 January 2005, 11:56   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Central position for the helmsman a third of a length back from the bow and then single or double jockeys side by side behind.
Old 17 January 2005, 12:49   #3

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Have a look at........

..........www.boatsandoutboards.com in the RIB section where you'll get 100's of ideas. Personally I'd favor twin jockeys for you and a partner to enjoy the fast rough stuff, with a bench seat behind and a forward facing seat attached to the console for the family and kids when it's sunny. Take a look at these (for sale by the way on the above site) !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BEM184.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	10078  
Old 17 January 2005, 13:17   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Agree with Meme, good quality seats from Bembridge, but also those jockey seats from Outhill are very nice if a little (very) expensive, perhaps you could mould something similar to the JC5T

Any photos of the new hull ?

Pete

http://www.outhill.com/seats.htm
Old 17 January 2005, 15:34   #5

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
I agree with hightower with the exception of I wouldn't have double jockey seats and go for singles but double up (i.e. instead of 2 doubles...have 4 singles).

I now wish I'd had four singles rather than a double. The reason is that if you have three people on board then either perched at the front or back of a double on your own is very hard to hold onto if your flooring it through a bit of rough stuff.

For me, I needed deck space so the space saved by the double pods was worth it, but if I was purely cruising then I'd have to go single pods. In fact in a few years time I may change the doubles for singles anyway.....but need to re-coup some pennies first!
Old 17 January 2005, 15:45   #6

great to get the ideas flowing.

pete7
will post pic of new rib when the first is releast from the mould.

pettal
good point about double and single jockeys.
Old 17 January 2005, 15:46   #7

whats best single width console or double???????
Old 17 January 2005, 15:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower
Central position for the helmsman a third of a length back from the bow and then single or double jockeys side by side behind.

why do you think single console in central position with jockey is better???
Old 17 January 2005, 18:03   #9
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeewayComposite
You don't have to have a single console for central helm. I have the Outhill CC9 console and JS6? jockey seat which I have centrally mounted. It helps if I'm on my own as my weight in on the centre line of the boat so it doesn't lean to one side. Then 4 single jockey seats behind the helm would give loads of seating (you could also fit a console with a forward seat).

This is how mine is setup (6.5m). I need the deck space for diving hence no other seating but you can see how much space behind the helm seat you should have for other seats and space in the front for a forward console seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture 03511.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	10085  
Old 17 January 2005, 18:34   #10

Town: Fareham
Quote:
A centrally positioned helm is always going to be better than one to the side because as you mentioned in your first post, you'll be alone in the RIB quite often and if you're to the side the boat it might lean to that side, espetially in a smaller RIB and then these's a question of having a central position for visability as well. You could choose a single consol or a double with a single central jockey, with the latter you'll get more protection from the spray and have more room for instruments, nav gear ect.

Don't know what the asthetics would be like though, but look at the pic above to get an Idea. I think it's cool! Like the McClaren of the boating world.

I guess the choice is yours though!
Old 17 January 2005, 18:42   #11

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
whats best single width console or double???????
Ah come on Lee, surely you know the answer to that !

Did you get my email I sent in reply to your PM?

Only problem with using a double width console with a single jockey is that you need a surface mount throttle, and it might also look a bit odd?

Tim
Old 17 January 2005, 18:53   #12
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim
Only problem with using a double width console with a single jockey is that you need a surface mount throttle, and it might also look a bit odd?

Tim
Don't see using a surface mount box as a problem. Infact I found it easier for routing the cables under the deck (and yours will be routed under the deck won't they!!?! ) as they were already inside the console. This also helps to protect the cables as external control boxes are not waterproof. Also the increased space means you can spread your guages and gadgets around for a more pleasing and easier to use layout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture 0331.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	10086  
Old 17 January 2005, 22:58   #13

Tim,
i know you like the single width console but just testin the popularity

Tue,
i think im starting to warm to the jockey in the central position for my self but when taking family and friends out is it un-social?? and just a little worried that its not using the deck space to the max??

just thinking this might be a good debate to hae a vote on?? i think im no clearer in my head what i want to go for.
Old 17 January 2005, 23:07   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Just building my new rib and been working on hull designs and getting a good allround rib that the interior has just been forgot about. i was hopeing people could advise on deck layout (whats best and why) it is a 6m and will be used by me mainly (wanting to go fast) and family every other week (in sunny season).
In your case I would have a side by side console with two single seat pods, plus a wrap round bench seat behind, and a seat on the front of the console for family use in calm conditions.

Side by side seating shouldn't be a big deal when you're on your own, and it's much more sociable when you've got company.

John
Old 17 January 2005, 23:09   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
side bt side

is also very good for training , letting people drive your boat. if you do go for side by side make sure the throttle is centre console or in the region of
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2005, 01:29   #16

Town: Sydney
Make: Gemini
Length: 5.05
Engine: 85hp Yamaha
any way to make a bench seat more useful in the rough...

This is all very interesting...

I have a central 2 man jockey moulded into my console and a bench seat behind it.

one of the limitations of my rib is that in the rough stuff, the bench seat is a bloody liability so effective seating is down to two people...

so i have been considering changing it for two more jockeys but am struggling to find the room... its only a 5.05m - then i see you guys recommending a rear bench seat - so my question is - is there a way to make a bench seat into a more useable piece of kit to make it comfortable during the rough stuff?
Old 18 January 2005, 07:01   #17

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
make sure the throttle is centre console or in the region of
After some agonising () we like the idea of a throttle set on the right side of the console because of WOT considerations, seating position and clearing the console for other kit.

missus
Old 18 January 2005, 07:50   #18
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardH
so i have been considering changing it for two more jockeys but am struggling to find the room... its only a 5.05m - then i see you guys recommending a rear bench seat - so my question is - is there a way to make a bench seat into a more useable piece of kit to make it comfortable during the rough stuff?
For an out-and-out offshore cruising boat I would still go for jockey pods, but a good bench seat is more family friendly, and still usable. The critical things is that it should give some lateral support -- a "two person bucket seat" would be a better description really.

K4+ make a good one which they use in their RIBS. They also sell them on their own for a very reasonable price: http://www.k4plus.com/shop.asp?catid=3

There are bound to be others around too. I've seen at least one Ribcraft fitted with one.

If it gets really rough then they will get uncomfortable, but if you have decent grab rails on the back of the front seats then the rear passengers can stand up relatively securely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackeens
After some agonising () we like the idea of a throttle set on the right side of the console because of WOT considerations, seating position and clearing the console for other kit.
I'm with you on this one. Keeps it out of the reach of the passengers too!

John
Old 18 January 2005, 08:10   #19

Town: St Peter Port
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: XS-Ribs
Engine: 2 x 225hp Optimax
I'm all for the double console except in rough conditions and you need to get up to the bow.

The problem generally.....(I'm not saying this is so on the bigger ribs) is that because of the width of the console there is either no foot room to get past the console, or very little meaning you have to balance on the tubes.

Fine if your a mountain goat, but try doing that in 2-3ft waves when your on your own and the boat shifts round whilst your at the front and then trying to keep your balance when the waves are hitting you beam on.

Admittedly it doesn't happen often, but I've had to do it often enough and with a single jockey there's plenty of room to move back and forwards.

Another plus is when your mooring up on your own it makes jumping on and off from the helm position much easier. Also recovery of diving kit from two or three divers all on one side makes movement and storage of kit easier and quicker (especially when hovering over a breaking reef).

But!!! If your a fair weather traveller, you will be accompanied most of the time and your just gonna be cruising then I'd go for the full width double console as all of the above is taken out of the equation if you have a willing and able "deck hand" with you!!
Old 18 January 2005, 09:24   #20

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tue
Don't see using a surface mount box as a problem.
Just re-read my post. It does seem a little negative without an explanation! I was thinking along the lines of if you have an outboard that comes with a (perfectly good) control box, then you would have to shell out more money to get a surface mount control box and all the bits to go with it like starter key and kill cord stuff etc. I considered getting a surface mount for the Tohatsu I bought but I was told its better just to get a dedicated tohatsu control box to save the hassle of all the wiring (which I have no idea about!)

With a side mount, you also have more room for electronics, but then with a surface mount, you would have a double width anyway!

Tim