Click Here to Login

Old 20 August 2012, 16:13   #1

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Day out from Felixstowe Ferry or Orford Quay

Posted before earlier in the year (SIB section) about having a day out from Felixstowe Ferry, probably keeping in the Deben. Not too many replies so thought I'd try here.

Hope to finally get that way in a week or so, also wondered about launching at Orford Quay and having a careful run up towards Aldeburgh then maybe Snape if tide is right.

It's a family trip in a SIB using transom wheels so need a slip or hard slope to avoid a long push in soft sand or mud but a tiny slip that is no good for a car/trailer is OK.

Our needs are a nearby car park, toilets/wash tap, hard launch area, cafe/pub or shop and not too much danger for a 3.5m SIB with 15hp.

Any local info appreciated.

Any other ideas from Felixstowe right round to Cromer considered but hate launching off a beach into a big swell/breakers.... well I'm OK but family hate it and the return can be "interesting" if the wind gets up.
Old 20 August 2012, 20:04   #2

Town: Kings Lynn
Boat name: Blow 'N' Away
Make: Coastline
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
The last time I went to Orford ( 2yrs ago) the gestapo were reliving a guy of a large amount of cash for launching a small speedboat

Orford Quay Orford[slipway] - Boatlaunch

One day your life will flash in front of your eyes...Make sure it's worth watching!
Paul Cannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2012, 16:41   #3

Town: Cambs
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
I launch from Suffolk yacht harbour sometimes and go round the coast. Fantastic when the weather iis good but watch the entrance to the deben at Felixstowe ferry when wind against tide it gets very lumpy and the sea gets very confused because of the shallows. It is hard to see channel markers when it's lumpy so a chart plotter is in my view pretty much essential. you have to go a surprisingly long way offshore before turning south to Felixstowe and Harwich unless you're happy going over shallows and steep waves.

Never been too scary but it's tossed our six meter plus rib about and It takes a lot of concentration and throttle control to keep the bows in the right direction and not too skyward!!!

Worth a trip up the river past waldrongfield and up to Woodbridge, very pretty indeed. Enjoy
Old 22 August 2012, 07:45   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Wellingborough
Boat name: The Whim
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 hp outboard
MMSI: 235003347
We launched RIBs at Felixstowe Ferry for years but it became too much hassle, and parking with a trailer can be a pain. When we visit the area these days we use the facilities of Suffolk Yacht Harbour at Levington, which has a really good slip, and we've never had any issues with parking.