Old 13 May 2021, 17:46   #1

Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Cost of patching a tube

Would anyone be able to give me some idea of the cost of getting a patch put over a small (less than 8mm) cut in a tube?
Old 13 May 2021, 17:52   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Look up poly marine for a DIY repair
Old 13 May 2021, 18:16   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansbo View Post
Would anyone be able to give me some idea of the cost of getting a patch put over a small (less than 8mm) cut in a tube?

The cost shouldn't be you're first concern IMO....which even if you get done professionally won't break the bank....getting a good permanent repair by someone competent (Hopfully unobtrusively) would be.

Often repairs may be camouflaged by "strategic" placement of things like name patches/handles/kit pockets/ect and depends largely on location of damage.
My advice would be get an experienced pro to do it properly and have peace of mind..
Nothing looks as bad as a Bad poorly completed repair...even if it holds air!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2021, 18:24   #4

Thanks, yes definitely getting a professional repair done. Will be giving Ribshop in Hamble a call tomorrow to see how soon they can do it unless anyone can recommend an alternative in the Southampton area?
Old 13 May 2021, 18:27   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The cost shouldn't be you're first concern IMO....which even if you get done professionally won't break the bank....getting a good permanent repair by someone competent (Hopfully unobtrusively) would be.

Often repairs may be camouflaged by "strategic" placement of things like name patches/handles/kit pockets/ect and depends largely on location of damage.
My advice would be get an experienced pro to do it properly and have peace of mind..
Nothing looks as bad as a Bad poorly completed repair...even if it holds air!

What he said! It doesn’t cost much and unless you have lots of experience, I’d get it done professionally.
Old 14 May 2021, 09:02   #6

By the looks of it I can’t get a proper job done for a couple of weeks, is it worth fitting a temporary emergency patch or are they not up to the job? I’d only be going on rivers rather than open water, so less risky if it fails
Old 14 May 2021, 09:44   #7

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Narcissus
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: Optimax 225
Agree with the guys above.

It's not hard to do, sometimes even quite a large patch, but there is certainly a bit of technique and learning to doing a nice job that'll last - and you don't want to mess up your P&J while you learn since it can make a terrible mess.

I had a 4M searider once that looked like a proper patchwork - and they all leaked. So we stripped off all the patches and re-did them all, in some cases stitching before applying the patch, sometimes replacing one large with 2 small, sometimes vice versa.

Still looked a bit patchwork at the end, but with strategic positioning and a tidy job, it looked OK and held air properly. But that was a low value boat that really needed re-tubing, so it served as good learning platform.

I know they're old & wet, but I still have soft spot for the old seariders.
Old 14 May 2021, 10:01   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stansbo View Post
By the looks of it I can’t get a proper job done for a couple of weeks, is it worth fitting a temporary emergency patch or are they not up to the job? I’d only be going on rivers rather than open water, so less risky if it fails
I'm not sure what you mean by "emergency patch" but if you keep the patch fairly small, are careful and tidy with what you do - the pro would be able to remove the patch with a heat gun without much bother. A proper repair uses 2 part glue. Most chandlers sell a cheap kit with one part glue which isn't as good, but would be ideal for fixing yourself before a pro redoes it. There are some people here who have used a clear self adhesive tape for quick fixes - I always assumed they were "get you home" rather than go out to sea with them but someone may be able to comment on how long they might last on an 8mm hole.
Old 14 May 2021, 14:15   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
tear aid is a good easy repair which lasts no glue required, IMO its not rocket science to do a simple patch poly marine have how to info on their site, if you were on hols for two weeks and got a tear first day?