Old 24 February 2005, 17:40   #1

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
Chalk up one for the USA

FYI: The US of A just added one more RIB to our diminutive fleet. I went to Marblehead, MA a month ago to look at Ribcraft RIBs. The folks there and the RIBs were so impressive I bought a 6.5m w/ aluminum hull. I am looking forward to spring, though it's a long way off. I am grateful for all the info I have thus far gleaned from this boards. Thanks. later. j
Old 24 February 2005, 17:48   #2

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing some piccies.
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 February 2005, 17:56   #3

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Jklingel,

I'm a rib wanna be living in California. Let us know how the fishing goes back east. Are you gonna go after blue fin tuna? :-)
Old 24 February 2005, 19:55   #4

Town: Novato
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4
Engine: Yamaha 30
Correction:

"rib owner wanna be"

I do not wish to be a rib in this lifetime.
Old 24 February 2005, 21:44   #5

Town: Marblehead, MA
Boat name: Bouncy Pumpkin
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 90 E-TEC
You may make all of five of us now! Congratulations. One of these days I've got to stop in there and poke around. It's all of 5 minutes from my house! Anytime anyone comes to Marblehead to visit Ribcraft, drop me a line and I'll show you around town. Or at least to the best sailor's imbibing establishments

When do you take delivery, and where will the RIB reside?
Old 25 February 2005, 00:24   #6

Town: Fairbanks
Boat name: Medved
Make: Solar
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 Tohatsu
MMSI: 007
more on my RIB

Louise, Smokie, Tucker: Yes, pics will go up as soon as I do something fun like smack some nice sized waves, catch a fish, or see some interesting shoreline, etc. Columbia Glacier will be one of the first trips; I've been here over 30 years and have never seen it; sad. I will get the RIB as soon as Ribcraft has it built, which I hope is the end of May or earlier. (SOMEONE put the arm on those boys in Marblehead for me. Adam Moore, specifically! He da man!) the boat will reside in Fairbanks, Alaska, far from the east coast. Sorry, no blue fin tuna, but halibut and shark will be sought ASAP. As for "5 of us now", HEY! I saw one in Valdez last summer, so there may be 6! It is interesting: several folks I know have heard that I bought a boat, and when they ask I tell them "a RIB". All goes silent, and I get glazed eyeballs staring at me. "Oh. A RIB. Yeah. OK...." later. j
Old 25 February 2005, 19:32   #7

Town: Norwalk
Boat name: no name
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
RIB Rendezvous

Hi Jklingel,

Below is some information about a RIB Rendezvous tentatively scheduled for August 6th down here in Long Island Sound. Can you make it?

Take care and good luck with your new boat,
Barry

================================================== ========

Hello all,

A group of us here in the States are in the preliminary stages of planning a RIB Rendezvous.

We're leaning toward August 6, 2005, for this first annual Long Island Sound RIB Rendezvous (LIS R & R). High tide in the Norwalk area is at 1:01PM that day so it will just make it easier for boats to pull up on the beach at our first stop, Sheffield Island. There are also moorings just off of the island dock and anchoring out is always an option.

Tentatively:

Starting at Veterans' Park in Norwalk, Connecticut, we'll head out to Sheffield Island about 10:30AM. VET's park has great launching facilities ($15.00 launch fee for out-of-towners). We will stay on Sheffield Island for enough time to get a tour of the lighthouse and enjoy some barbecued RIB's and other stuff prepared by my brother the chef. While on Sheffield, there will also be time for sea-stories and I will give a little talk about the area and where we will be headed once underway again. I would think that 2 1/2 hours on the island will be more than enough time.

Then we are off to the Huntington Harbor Lighthouse located over on the north shore of Long Island, which is about 6 miles across the Sound from Sheffield Island. We will pass Green's Ledge Lighthouse on our way out of Sheffield Island Harbor and also get a nice view of the Eaton's Neck Lighthouse located at Coast Guard Station Eaton's Neck as we head into Huntington Bay. Once at the Huntington Harbor Lighthouse, a tour of this wave-swept site should only take about 30 minutes. After our tour, we will then head into Northport Bay and ultimately dock at the Northport Village docks in Northport Harbor. While in Northport, our group will be able to get another bite to eat or something to drink - Main Street has many shops and restaurants and is convenient to the waterfront.

Our departure from Northport will be around 6:00PM or so. Heading back across the Sound, we will take the eastern approach through the Norwalk Islands back into Norwalk Harbor. This route will take us past the Peck Ledge Lighthouse. Next stop - back to the boat ramps at VET's Park and then once the boats are hauled out, on to Donovan's tavern in South Norwalk. The SONO Waterfront Historic District is just a short walk across the Washington Street Bridge from VET's Park and has many shops, restaurants and the Maritime Aquarium.

The Sheffield Island rental fee will be $250.00 for up to 25 guests, and I think $450.00 for larger groups. I have yet to negotiate a landing fee/contribution arrangement with the Huntington Lighthouse group or determine a price to cover the refreshments that will be provided at Sheffield Island. Also, with many events such as this raising money for worthy causes, I'm thinking that this event should benefit a tsunami relief organization such as the Red Cross. I have contacted our local chapter and am awaiting information regarding fund raising events. In addition, the Sheffield Island and Huntington Harbor Lighthouses are both operated by non-profit organizations.

Please keep in mind that as of this early date, this itinerary is tentative for sure. I am just now contacting the lighthouse organizations, possible sponsors and hotels in the Norwalk area. I will provide more details as things develop.

Any interested Ribsters can contact me on this forum or shoot me an e-mail directly at www.soundnav@hotmail.com.

"Put some excitement between your legs - ride a RIB"

Soundnav
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Soundnav
Find More Posts by Soundnav
Add Soundnav to Your Buddy List