Old 25 February 2005, 03:23   #1

Town: Perth
Boat name: Zephyr
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x 50hp Johnson
Delaminating Deck on a Searider 5.6m

Hi All,
I am just in the final stages of negotiating purchase of a 5.6m Avon searider rescue RIB. It has brand new military spec hyperlon tubes and new 2x50hp Johnson outboards fitted. The hull seems extremly good for its age with no major rapairs or obvious problems. However I have noticed that the deck is delaminating. Being a Rescue rib it has bouyancy fibreglassed beneath the deck. Does anybody have experience with this kind of problem with these boats. Having the water ballast system I am a bit concerned that the marine ply in the deck has deteriorated from below. The seller has agreed to replace the deck. Is this necessary? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
cheers,
Benzai
Old 25 February 2005, 06:45   #2

Town: vienna
Boat name: --
Make: avon
Length: 4,7
Engine: Mercury 500
Send a message via Yahoo to dodl
Hello,

I do not have experience in this special case, but to me, replacing the deck on a Searider seems to be a tough job. When i look into the hull through the big hole at the transom, it looks pretty weird. Not the classical hull-stringer-deck system.

If there really is a marineply core in the deck laminate, you are right, i also would be concerned about the plywood.

On the other side, if they really replace the deck an do a good job, why not? Then you have a great boat with new tubes and a new deck.
BTW, if you eventually will have some photos, i would be VERY interested to see the work on the searider deck an how to replace it.

cu
martin
Old 25 February 2005, 09:19   #3

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Plywood

The deck does have plywood in it.

Not sure how the deck is secured onto the hull though? With no access it must be bonded on and then the top laminate put in place then gelcoated?

Big job but if done properly by someone who knows what they are doing should result in a good boat.
Old 25 February 2005, 13:29   #4

Town: Nr Faversham, Kent
Boat name: C Rider
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 80
Personally that sounds like alot of work.
To lift the deck would need the console and possibly the tubes out of the way?
Ok if you are able to do the work, but make sure the purchase price reflects this work.

Looking up the hole on mine, it looks like the underside of the deck was glassed over and sealed before being bonded to the hull. There is no obvious point to break away the deck from the hull. I would be tempted to leave it and add a new ply deck over the top, then glass it over to seal it.

Best of luck whatever you do.

Tim'mers.