Old 30 January 2016, 10:52   #1

Town: Buckie
Make: Carson RIBs
Length: 9m +
Carson RIBs

Hello everyone,

Thought I would start a thread to introduce our new business partnership with Barry Carson, the designer of Carson RIBs. Probond Marine Ltd has started producing the Carson range of commercial rigid inflatable boats. Initially we are offering the Carson 420, 520, 550 & 600 models with plans to increase the range in the near future.

For those who haven't heard of Carson RIBs they were designed and built by Barry since the early 1980's and are in professional service in over twenty countries worldwide. They have several defining features including a unique gull wing hull design with square bows, all collars are mechanically attached and the larger boats have stainless steel reinforced transoms.

Our boats are manufactured at Probond Marine's workshop in Aberdeenshire with Barry running all southern sales from his office in Southampton.

I have attached some build pics of the 600 demo boat, as you will see the hull structure is substantial Also attached is a pic of the Carson 420 hull before we dropped it off a Henshaws for the collar build.

For any further information including brochure downloads either give me a shout or head to the website
Home where you can find more information and our contact details.

Colin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0116.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	110561   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0121533.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	110562   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	110563   Click image for larger version

Name:	G0061575.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	110564  
Old 30 January 2016, 11:22   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Hi Colin,

Good to see Carson RIBs back in production.

Give Barry my regards when you see him.

Duncan from number 24.
Old 30 January 2016, 11:24   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome aboard! Are you specifically targeting oil and gas or is Aberdeen just a coincidence?
Old 30 January 2016, 13:35   #4

Thanks guys they are great boat designs so I'm glad to be able to bring them back into production. I will pass on your regards, however I'm sure Barry will be along at some point to say hi.

Poly no not targeting oil and gas specifically I just happen to be based in Aberdeenshire but with Barry down south and our base up in Aberdeenshire we should be able to cover the UK.
Old 30 January 2016, 19:08   #5

Length: 5m +
Hi Colin, looks a nice design. Can you let me know the benefit of the square bow over a more pointed one. I've seen square on some ribs but most appear to have pointed.
Thanks
Chunk
Old 30 January 2016, 19:23   #6

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
that one hell of a square bow as said,Im guessing pretty wet in a following sea poss?
Old 30 January 2016, 19:43   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Hi Colin, looks a nice design. Can you let me know the benefit of the square bow over a more pointed one. I've seen square on some ribs but most appear to have pointed.
Thanks
Chunk
Hi Chunk,

The square bow comes as a direct result of the Carson Deep V Gull Wing hull design. The hulls have pronounced chines and spray rails which provide a very stable and dry ride, in addition the "pram" bow helps prevent stuffing in heavy seas.

The resulting square bow provides additional buoyancy & useable forward deck space and allows the operator to shunt other vessels and safely load/offload personnel over the bow.

Matt having been out in some pretty rough conditions i can say the boats provide a very dry ride for all onboard. I will hopefully get some footage up on our site showing the boats capabilities.

Colin
Old 30 January 2016, 19:51   #8

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Nice one. Good luck in your venture and will look forward to some good videos !!
Old 30 January 2016, 20:56   #9

Thanks Colin, makes sense.
Wish you all the best.
Chunk
Old 31 January 2016, 18:21   #10

Town: Southampton
Make: Carson
Length: 10m +
Carson RIBs

Hi All and best regards to you too Duncan (at No 24 * big grin). Nice to see you're still on the rib scene.

I see Colin has announced the news about Probond Marine taking up the baton and now building various Carson RIB designs. It's been a while since I posted anything on here, September - November 2012 as I recall.

Until recently Fawley Marine down in Cornwall built the Carson 600, most going to commercial customers and the rest to leisure users. They also built the Carson 900 and keep their own 900 'Pressman' for charter use. Aside from in house build Carsons have also been built by several other companies including Hoyle Marine Ltd., CDC Ltd., both on Merseyside, Northshore Yachts Ltd. in Itchenor, Steelkit Ltd. in Wales (larger alloy hull versions) and others elsewhere including Ireland where it all began in the early 80s. In addition Skuaribs in Derbyshire built their SK6 and RB6 sports ribs on a Carson design(Rib Magazine and other reviewers were extremely impressed). The current Carson 520 and 550 are a newer improved version of the Skuarib. Seastart in Hampshire build the Carson 750 and variants and have several 750s in their own breakdown and recovery fleet, easily spotted with their distinct livery of bright yellow and black. Another 750 variant of interest these days is my own old Quickstep previously discussed on this forum, now almost twenty years old and still going strong. This has a stepped hull and cabin. She is now an expedition boat with new owners and can be found these days in far Northern waters and on their blog papayarcticadventure.

I see the square bow has drawn some comment. This distinctive feature has been a mark of all Carsons from the outset and proved over three decades to offer many advantages. Colin has already pointed out some of the benefits. In practice there are no real disadvantages except perhaps to some traditionalist's eyes. It combines well with some other Carson design features such as the pronounced spray rails carried well forward as can be seen in the photographs.

When I introduced this design feature in the 80s many competitors at first criticised it but without good grounds, then later copied it! Now it is quite a common feature on many commercial and military ribs. Another point to consider is this. With a conventional pointed bow on a rib it consists mostly of a narrowing tube filled with air on a narrowing pointed hull with relatively little reserve buoyancy that arguably is also wasting boat length and space that cost the owner dearly in initial cost and later in storage and mooring fees. As an example, the Carson 420 was primarily designed as a small workboat and later adopted as a small police boat. After extensive trials the Royal Hong Kong Marine Police found this little rib far safer and more able in the rough sea conditions of Hong Kong and surrounding seas than the Searider 5.4s they previously used. Replacing the Seariders with Carson 420s offered savings on deck stowage space aboard their patrol ships, half the cost and able to launch and operate more often in rougher conditions. Little wonder it remains probably my favourite baby out of the range. In addition Carson 600s were carried on their larger ships for longer range patrols off the mother ships with a crew of three in anti smuggling and rescue operations. Again the square bow feature proved very advantageous.

For the future there are a couple of new designs on the way including cabin options and more stepped hulls in larger sizes. Watch this space.

More details of all this can be found on Probond's website with accompanying photos.

Tags
rib