Click Here to Login

Old 11 February 2008, 09:42   #1

Town: Auckland
Boat name: No Soft Option
Make: Zodiac MK4HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Can you help me with my valves ??

Kia Ora from down under. Be for I start I want to complement you fellas on a wicked forum. Its my new favourite place. My name is Craig and I have a Zodiac MK4HD SIB with a Suzuki 115 glued to the transom. The hull is 12 years old but has little use and is still in resonable nick with the exception of a few battle scars. My problem is with the valves. They are the old metal types and I suspect they are not seating properly and therefore leaking. I have new rubber seals on order but suspect they need a jolly good service. They are a very simple device with two moving parts for crying out loud so how hard can they be to fix. But before I rip into servicing mine with some good old can-do kiwi attitude, I understand the value of wise council on such matters so I want to find a valve 'GURU' willing to impart knowledge to a willing student. A 'SWAMI' to teach the 'ways of the valve'. I figure after lapping the cones all you need is the right viscosity grease and the right torque setting on the nut holding the two cones together and they should be sweet. Right?????????? I have tried official Zodiac channels here in New Zealand but the agents are as useful as tits on a bull when it comes to military spec boats so any advice, tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac01.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	32806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zodiac02.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	32807  
Old 11 February 2008, 14:51   #2

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Beautiful boat. Those HD series Zodiacs are impressive SIBs that should hold up to alot of extremely heavy use. As for valve servicing, perhaps ' yorfuoj ' who posts here might be able to provide some sage advice.
Old 12 February 2008, 18:39   #3

Town: Auckland
Boat name: No Soft Option
Make: Zodiac MK4HD
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Hey thanks for the reply. I will hit up 'yorfuoj' for some advice. Yup shes a great boat but she does have limitations, so plans are afoot. Thinking of turning her into a rib with an alloy hull, If I can get the tubes sorted. If not then sell her and buy a rib. I cant complain though I brought the bare hull for $500.00 NZD on an auction site. It only stayed up for an hour or two so I got some glue and hypalon for $100.00 NZD patched it up and now its mint. All up including trailer i've spent about $9000.00 so far. A dam cheep boat I recon.
Old 12 February 2008, 20:02   #4

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
HI Craig
You have got what I wanted to do to my old Mk4 the central console, hand steering a 50 is a sod!
On the valves, they are quite special, the outer plate rotates around so you can fill the chamber to the left or the chamber to the right, or both or none. Basically I discovered this by rotating it round until I found the position and thus the option I was looking for. Its also a pressure release valve for both chambers.
The central valve can be unscrewed and you can the ports in the outer valve, if you have it set to blank it all you remove the stress on the initial valve and you can then take it out and clean it. All mine needed was a clean to remove 10 years of seismic survey abuse - washing up liquid and water, I was hunting for leaks at the time
It is possible to set all the valves to make it into one giant chamber then attach the air line and it all comes up in one go, but you must remember to reset it back to either one chamber or none for safety.

From rereading your post and knowing how hot its gets in Auckland this time of year it might just be the over pressure kicking in, due to the black tubes, I got this a bit in the UK in summer.
As for a full strip down I was never able to get that info off Zodiac either.
one thing I did find was that the valves for the futura runners being plastic threads it was easy to cross thread and damage and cleaning out under the deck was important to minimise wear even though it was a sod. The non return valves for the bilge are not spectacular but we just learnt to live with it . Somewhere I have a line drawing of the hull but no manual for it if thats any use pm me.
good luck
James