Click Here to Login

Old 13 January 2006, 16:44   #1

Town: Farstad
Boat name: Searafting
Make: Humber Offshore 8,5
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250 Suzuki
Build quality of south african ribs

we got a good offer on an Prestige 900 but we have conserns regarding build quality when the boats are built in south africa.

The boat in construced by Ocke mannerfelt in Sweden, so we belive that construction quality is good, but what about the build quality of hull and tubes.

Today we have a Revenger 29 with twin 225 engines and this boat has benn working perfec with out any kind of problems.

let me here som facts about the south african rib boats please
Old 14 January 2006, 09:07   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by searafting.no
we got a good offer on an Prestige 900 but we have conserns regarding build quality when the boats are built in south africa.

The boat in construced by Ocke mannerfelt in Sweden, so we belive that construction quality is good, but what about the build quality of hull and tubes.

Today we have a Revenger 29 with twin 225 engines and this boat has benn working perfec with out any kind of problems.

let me here som facts about the south african rib boats please
Do a search on Ribeye and Ribtec on here - they are all built at the same factory as Prestige as far as I know.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2006, 09:15   #3

Make: FB 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by searafting.no
...and so you should! I have warned a number of people about the build quality of SA boats including a certain Greek, who has subsequently eaten humble pie and and finally capitulated. It would seem rather odd coming from a South African not to champion my country's products, but having been around the factory's and manufacturers a good part of my adult life I can tell you they have a long way to go to come anywhere near the standards of the mainstream builders in the UK. Tread carefully!
Old 14 January 2006, 09:38   #4

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
...and so you should! I have warned a number of people about the build quality of SA boats including a certain Greek, who has subsequently eaten humble pie and and finally capitulated. It would seem rather odd coming from a South African not to champion my country's products, but having been around the factory's and manufacturers a good part of my adult life I can tell you they have a long way to go to come anywhere near the standards of the mainstream builders in the UK. Tread carefully!
Whats your thoughts on Gemini there built in South Africa
Old 14 January 2006, 13:16   #5

Make: FB 55
Gemini have been around forever, they are probably better than most. Prestige are getting there ....
Old 14 January 2006, 13:41   #6

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct01
Gemini have been around forever, they are probably better than most. Prestige are getting there ....
Phew