Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 18 December 2011, 15:37   #61
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Anyone had experience with ''Laser Flares'' the Blurb looks good!? Make a nice pressie for the saftey minded,(Like all of us) and they dont go out of date!...That reminds me DOH!
Maximus,

I've not use them myself but have been tempted. AFAIK there are two general types:

The first (and oldest) is effectively a laser pointer which produces a line rather than a spot which you then scan around the horizon hoping to attract some attention. This is simple technology (so presumably fairly reliable) and are reasonably cheap (less than the cost or replacing my mini rocket flares the last time I checked). Could be particularly useful if you can see help coming and just need to guide it in, or if you can see someone to repeatedly paint in the hope of getting help.

The alternative newer technology has some "clever" optics and a motorised part inside that scan round for you producing something that to an observer is supposed to look much more like a handheld flare. Last time I checked they were something like £120. Although moving parts must mean they are slightly more vulnerable to damage they look pretty robust and chunky, and so long as you can turn it on and hold it it will work, whereas the other type require you to point/scan/wave it. Compared to pyro-flares which are gone in a minute the battery life is almost certainly longer than your survival time in the water!

The downside is the are only a "pinpoint" red flare (possible) replacement, so you will still probably want some parachutes and smokes etc - so the replacement and renewal issue is not removed.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 15:37   #62
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,919
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I hope you have made it multiple choice where all the answers are OK?
Well, something on that theme, it's more -

Choose one of the following:

A. Allow willk buy the Redbay of his dreams.
B. Don't and live with a morose, fault finding, cranky old git who follows you round the house, moaning about the quality of the dusting, the household expenditure, the number of cats, the excessive quantity of designer handbags in evidence, the unnecessary purchase of fine Sauvignon blancs from the Loire...

...oh, I think she'll make the right call.

and P., now that JK and NOS have taken the plunge, surely you're next?
__________________

__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 15:52   #63
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Well, something on that theme, it's more -

Choose one of the following:

A. Allow willk buy the Redbay of his dreams.
B. Don't and live with a morose, fault finding, cranky old git who follows you round the house, moaning about the quality of the dusting, the household expenditure, the number of cats, the excessive quantity of designer handbags in evidence, the unnecessary purchase of fine Sauvignon blancs from the Loire...

...oh, I think she'll make the right call.
have you guaranteed that they are mutually exclusive? personally I wouldn't have given her such free rein. Perhaps something more like:

"Roof or no roof" (possibly already knowing which answer she would go for and that you agreed!) and "8.5 or 9m" (knowing she will go for "smaller" and you get what you want!).

Quote:
and P., now that JK and NOS have taken the plunge, surely you're next?
Have I missed something, has Kennett become a real Ribnobber again? I'm obviously not reading enough of the forum these days.

i thought there was just maybe a chance that a major boat upgrade would happen in 2012, but she started a conversation yesterday with the words "How much do you think a new kitchen will cost?" (that was supposed to be a 2011 project but I managed to procrastinate on it long enough I thought it had been accepted it wasn't happening). I think I might need to bump off the inlaws for the inheritance
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:00   #64
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,919
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
have you guaranteed that they are mutually exclusive?
Good point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Have I missed something, has Kennett become a real Ribnobber again?
Here, less with the lese majeste, did Mr. Kennett (aka Lord Vetinari) not upgrade from a QS 310 to a very plush Bombard thingy?

There's no real justification for a RIB. Just do it.

You know you want to...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:09   #65
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Here, less with the lese majeste, did Mr. Kennett (aka Lord Vetinari) not upgrade from a QS 310 to a very plush Bombard thingy?


I thought you meant he'd gone for a proper boat not a slightly bigger dinghy!

The problem is Mrs P would happily upgrade to a Redbay with a lid of some sort, but thats outside the available budget! I'd happily go for something slightly more affordable but she needs a lot of convincing that it will be so much more warm/dry/comfortable.

In reality the 'tall one' probably has a sensible compromise - small boat for nice weather spur of the moment stuff and charter someone elses toy for the odd weekend when you want to plan far in advance.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:14   #66
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,919
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
dinghy!
I won't have that word used on here. It's disparaging!
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:19   #67
Member
 
jambo's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,162
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I won't have that word used on here. It's disparaging!
I agree for the use of that word he should put himself right in the bidges

J
__________________
jambo
'Carpe Diem'
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:26   #68
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,919
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I agree for the use of that word he should put himself right in the bidges

J
Shush! His ego is talking. His id WANTS to be bilged, and his super ego will do it if you force the matter...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:30   #69
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
I won't have that word used on here. It's disparaging!
Might have known you rubber duck owners would all stick together...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:36   #70
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,901
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Maximus,

I've not use them myself but have been tempted. AFAIK there are two general types:

The first (and oldest) is effectively a laser pointer which produces a line rather than a spot which you then scan around the horizon hoping to attract some attention. This is simple technology (so presumably fairly reliable) and are reasonably cheap (less than the cost or replacing my mini rocket flares the last time I checked). Could be particularly useful if you can see help coming and just need to guide it in, or if you can see someone to repeatedly paint in the hope of getting help.

The alternative newer technology has some "clever" optics and a motorised part inside that scan round for you producing something that to an observer is supposed to look much more like a handheld flare. Last time I checked they were something like £120. Although moving parts must mean they are slightly more vulnerable to damage they look pretty robust and chunky, and so long as you can turn it on and hold it it will work, whereas the other type require you to point/scan/wave it. Compared to pyro-flares which are gone in a minute the battery life is almost certainly longer than your survival time in the water!

The downside is the are only a "pinpoint" red flare (possible) replacement, so you will still probably want some parachutes and smokes etc - so the replacement and renewal issue is not removed.
Thanks for that Mr P.I was thinking of agmenting the standard range of flares, the type of lazer flare which I thought may be worth a look have a flat beam which at around 3Nm is something like 2000 yards wide,and can be seen ALOT further out than that.They are designed to act as a kind of flat plane light funnel,for the rescue helicopter to home in on. You use them by flipping into (and out!) of a rescuers vision. One thing for sure if anyone were in the water,out of Piro flares, at night,and fortunate enough to have a drysuit on, you may wish you had one!They are waterproof AND fit in the pocket,at about £70 may be a good investment!
I think I just sold one to myself!.. I'll let you know what I make of it when I get one.
Concerning survival times, some years ago some diver friends of mine in Diver grade drysiuts survived for over 16hrs in Lyme bay befor being rescued,after being thrown from thier RIB with NO kill cord attached.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 16:43   #71
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,919
RIBase
Maxi - get yourself a PLB! The helos can DF you with the 121.5 Mhz signal. A smoke in hand is no harm, but the PLB is the weapon of choice...

Did one of your diver buddies have a bust arm seal? I think I remember that one...
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 17:15   #72
Member
 
Ribochet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
the PLB is the weapon of choice...
One more for that - plus GPS
__________________
Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 17:21   #73
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,901
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Maxi - get yourself a PLB! The helos can DF you with the 121.5 Mhz signal. A smoke in hand is no harm, but the PLB is the weapon of choice...

Did one of your diver buddies have a bust arm seal? I think I remember that one...
I agree, and a new PLB is on the list for new boat kit,just like the thought of pocket sized back up, along with mini flares!-Yep The guy's were ok apart from Andy who's zip seal was faulty.Not from the cold,but lack of Bouyancey as his suit slowly filled.
The RNLI who computed where they SHOULD be, were looking completely in the wrong location,and the day was only saved by our regular dive charter skipper,John Walker ''Miss Pattie'' who relied on his intimate local knollege of the tides and went off on his own to find them,and did!
A bit of an insight is that apart from the fatigue they reckon they could have lasted alot longer if needed,and that they could SEE the rescue operation for most of thr time,with no way of signaling.
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 17:25   #74
SPR
Trade member
 
SPR's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,066
Laser Flare is good for guiding in help, buy a H/H radio, then PLB then Laser Flare.

This is non bias advice from a very bias source.

Regards

Scott

PS If you buy any one buys a Rescue Laser Flare, I will give you free pouch with it! just pm or email me . you might guess I am the UK importer Greatland Rescue Lasers....
__________________
SPRmarine / SPRtraining
RYA Training Courses & Safety Equipment Sales
SPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 17:30   #75
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,919
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Yep The guy's were ok apart from Andy who's zip seal was faulty
Yes, I remember them - they did an article in DIVER mag. I often think about that case.

My coastie contact never asks me if I'm packing flares on any of my escapades. He ALWAYS says "Bring that feckin' PLB and we'll come get you.."

I was listening to a MAYDAY recently where the entire crew of a crabber had to jump ship 15Nm north Malin. The CG were repeatedly asking them to bring/deploy their EPIRB, which they did not do (as far as I could tell). The helo had to fall back to asking them to do VHF countdowns to locate them, alongside flare deployments.

PLB in my pocket, flares in the Emergency Box.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 17:33   #76
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,901
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
[QUOTE=SPR;434564]Laser Flare is good for guiding in help, buy a H/H radio, then PLB then Laser Flare.

This is non bias advice from a very bias source.

Regards

Scott

PS If you buy any one buys a Rescue Laser Flare, I will give you free pouch with it! just pm or email me . you might guess I am the UK importer Greatland Rescue Lasers....[/QU
Will do
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2011, 17:43   #77
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,901
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Yes, I remember them - they did an article in DIVER mag. I often think about that case.

My coastie contact never asks me if I'm packing flares on any of my escapades. He ALWAYS says "Bring that feckin' PLB and we'll come get you.."

I was listening to a MAYDAY recently where the entire crew of a crabber had to jump ship 15Nm north Malin. The CG were repeatedly asking them to bring/deploy their EPIRB, which they did not do (as far as I could tell). The helo had to fall back to asking them to do VHF countdowns to locate them, alongside flare deployments.

PLB in my pocket, flares in the Emergency Box.
Pretty good advice! I'm just a bit of a ''Belt and Braces'' man when it comes to safety and in my experience most exits from Ribs are often fast and violent.
The same guy who was coxing the Ilfated Lyme bay escapade once dumped me and the rest of the crew from our club RIB after stuffing it (not driveing to the conditions) on the way back from a dive outside Plymouth sound.
I was the last one he picked up....gave me time to cool down...a bit
__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 02:43   #78
Member
 
Ian M's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Milton
Boat name: Jianna
Make: Osprey
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 E-TEC
MMSI: 235076954
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
PLB in my pocket.
+1
__________________
Ian

Dust creation specialist
Ian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2011, 05:34   #79
Member
 
Ribochet's Avatar
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The RNLI who computed where they SHOULD be.
Just to clarify that it is the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) who use an intregated SAR software system called SARIS as a search planning tool and not the RNLI.

This link gives a very good summary of the RNLI rescue process

The rescue process of RNLI lifeboats
__________________
Maximum Preparation - Maximum Fun
Ribochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2011, 05:58   #80
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
So now we are past the 'big day', what did everyone get ?

Me - new tool box ( everything fits ! )
Net book

so nothing boating at all unfortunately ....
__________________

__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.