Old 21 December 2020, 12:06   #1

Town: Edinburgh
Length: 4m +
Boat Insurance and Storage

Hi All

I am struggling a bit. I am currently storing my boat in a friends farm shed. It is tucked in the corner but the shed is open and I am trying to work out if there is anyway that I can insure it whilst it is there.

I have spent hours online trying to understand whether the policies available will actually cover it but it is confusing the hell out of me.

Is anyone in the same position and how have you solved it? The wheel is clamp and the hitch is locked.

Thanks for any advice!!!
Old 21 December 2020, 12:19   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoscoops View Post
Hi All

I am struggling a bit. I am currently storing my boat in a friends farm shed. It is tucked in the corner but the shed is open and I am trying to work out if there is anyway that I can insure it whilst it is there.

I have spent hours online trying to understand whether the policies available will actually cover it but it is confusing the hell out of me.

Is anyone in the same position and how have you solved it? The wheel is clamp and the hitch is locked.

Thanks for any advice!!!
My pals keep their boat at our farm & get insurance no problem they used to use craftinsure but switched to another recently without issue. What seems to be the issue for you?
Old 21 December 2020, 13:11   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi and welcome to the forum. Surely may here will have fully insured boats standing out with no building at all, on drives etc, so yours ought to be ok as long as the anti theft measures such as wheel/hitch/outboard lock meet insurers requirements??
Old 21 December 2020, 13:25   #4

Town: Abersoch
Boat name: vanishing point
Make: phantom, Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200hp
We insure with GJW Direct, give them the address where the boat is kept (storage barn) lock the boat with the required hitch and wheel clamp on the trailer, take photos of the boat in storage with the security devices fitted [emoji106]
Old 21 December 2020, 14:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
My pals keep their boat at our farm & get insurance no problem they used to use craftinsure but switched to another recently without issue. What seems to be the issue for you?
I think that the biggest issue for me is interpreting the wording of the policies to try and make sure that if the worst happens that I am covered.

It sounds like you guys have a very similar setup and Craftsure might be the answer for me too

Do you know who they have moved to for insurance now?
Old 21 December 2020, 14:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum. Surely may here will have fully insured boats standing out with no building at all, on drives etc, so yours ought to be ok as long as the anti theft measures such as wheel/hitch/outboard lock meet insurers requirements??

Thanks for the welcome. My concern was that it is stored on a friends farm rather than my own drive or land where it could potentially be named on a property insurance. But from other respondents it might be that craftsure can cover it.
thanks
Old 21 December 2020, 14:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskylee View Post
We insure with GJW Direct, give them the address where the boat is kept (storage barn) lock the boat with the required hitch and wheel clamp on the trailer, take photos of the boat in storage with the security devices fitted [emoji106]
I will have a look into these guys thanks!
Old 21 December 2020, 15:22   #8

Well as an update to this. I now have 2 quotes which are vastly different. One from Craftsure for £45 who requested very little details and one from GJW Direct for £150 who ask for details of all of this items being insured. £100 the difference so it is tough not to go with Craftsure but did like that GJW wanted to know details.
Old 21 December 2020, 15:51   #9

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Well as an update to this. I now have 2 quotes which are vastly different. One from Craftsure for £45 who requested very little details and one from GJW Direct for £150 who ask for details of all of this items being insured. £100 the difference so it is tough not to go with Craftsure but did like that GJW wanted to know details.
If it looks too good to be true it probhably is !!!
I have two boats with gjw ,and rate very highly athough never had to claim
there is a massive difference which i keep banging on about on here probhablly without any body listening however here goes again !
Gjw is agreed value insurance ,meaning if you agree a value with them ,thats what you get if it dissapears ,,dont take my word for it ask them on a phone !
Old 21 December 2020, 16:41   #10

Town: Basildon
Boat name: SIByl
Make: SeaSearch
Engine: Mercury OB
Boat insurance

I have mentioned on here before, about five years ago I bought a 30 ft twin diesel cabin cruiser. Insured it through GJW at a better rate than other quotes.

On my way home with the boat on the River Trent hit a stolen car that had somehow been dumped in mid stream and not visible. Both props damaged, one repairable , other too bad, bent propshaft. broken rudder skeg.

Had to be hauled out and repaired , Big quotes and subsequent big bills. GJW Immediately gave OK for repairs and paid boatyard direct apart from my excess. Great service from them, Especially that the accident happened less than a week after taking out the insurance.

I had my SIB also insured by them as well

I would defo recommend them
Old 21 December 2020, 17:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orwell boy View Post
If it looks too good to be true it probhably is !!!
I have two boats with gjw ,and rate very highly athough never had to claim
there is a massive difference which i keep banging on about on here probhablly without any body listening however here goes again !
Gjw is agreed value insurance ,meaning if you agree a value with them ,thats what you get if it dissapears ,,dont take my word for it ask them on a phone !
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogM View Post
I have mentioned on here before, about five years ago I bought a 30 ft twin diesel cabin cruiser. Insured it through GJW at a better rate than other quotes.

On my way home with the boat on the River Trent hit a stolen car that had somehow been dumped in mid stream and not visible. Both props damaged, one repairable , other too bad, bent propshaft. broken rudder skeg.

Had to be hauled out and repaired , Big quotes and subsequent big bills. GJW Immediately gave OK for repairs and paid boatyard direct apart from my excess. Great service from them, Especially that the accident happened less than a week after taking out the insurance.

I had my SIB also insured by them as well

I would defo recommend them
Sounds like I will be going with GJW. Thats exactly what i was hoping for from this post....personal experiences. Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

Tim
Old 21 December 2020, 18:49   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
If the quotes are so different are you sure they are like for like covering the same things?
Old 21 December 2020, 18:52   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
If the quotes are so different are you sure they are like for like covering the same things?
Its hard to tell to be honest with the Craftsure one as they ask so little information. I am going to go with the more expensive one as it is clearer and I am sure about what they are covering.
Old 21 December 2020, 20:28   #14

Quote:
We have 4 boats in the family insured with craftinsure one boat is covered @ £90k & lives on a swing mooring in the summer. We have made 3 claims at separate times, 2 in excess of £10k which they settled without quibble and very fairly, you can ring them and speak to a real person in the uk & they are very helpful so dont be put off by the lack of questions, it does work
Old 22 December 2020, 10:00   #15

Town: Bristol/Devon
Boat name: Nella
Make: Ballistic
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 130
Beamishken - what happened to the premium the next year? I ask because I'm about to insure my new toy, have been with craftinsure for years.... but......

I claimed through my craftinsure policy for a damaged sail on my RS Aero, and they then increased the premium 50% at renewal!
Old 22 December 2020, 11:56   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
Beamishken - what happened to the premium the next year? I ask because I'm about to insure my new toy, have been with craftinsure for years.... but......

I claimed through my craftinsure policy for a damaged sail on my RS Aero, and they then increased the premium 50% at renewal!
It didnt go up appreciably on any of the policies iirc not even enough to shop around the next year tbh
Old 22 December 2020, 12:43   #17
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Its hard to tell to be honest with the Craftsure one as they ask so little information. I am going to go with the more expensive one as it is clearer and I am sure about what they are covering.
the detail is in the policy documents not in the questions they ask before issuing the policy. There probably is a difference in cover, but it might be for something you don't need. e.g. an agreed value policy may not be critical to you if there isn't going to be a big dispute in value; or one may cover only helms over a certain age, or with a PB2 which if you are over the age and have a PB2 and never let others use your boat may be irrelevant, other big risk factors are the top speed, towing toys etc.

That said - the Craftinsure policy is much cheaper than mine for a 4m boat stored in a locked building in a locked compound not far from you.
Old 22 December 2020, 14:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
the detail is in the policy documents not in the questions they ask before issuing the policy. There probably is a difference in cover, but it might be for something you don't need. e.g. an agreed value policy may not be critical to you if there isn't going to be a big dispute in value; or one may cover only helms over a certain age, or with a PB2 which if you are over the age and have a PB2 and never let others use your boat may be irrelevant, other big risk factors are the top speed, towing toys etc.

That said - the Craftinsure policy is much cheaper than mine for a 4m boat stored in a locked building in a locked compound not far from you.
Yeah I have not gone with Craftsure this time but will have another look in a years time.