Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
any body heard of this today had a google but nothings came up

I herd it was two dinghies out from Largs. The two men in one righted but the two women I the other were in the water for about forty minutes. All ok.
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2018, 19:25   #4

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
I herd it was two dinghies out from Largs. The two men in one righted but the two women I the other were in the water for about forty minutes. All ok.
thats quite a bit of time to spend in the water I wonder if they were kitted out with a drysuit
Old 14 January 2018, 19:56   #5

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
RIBase
Quote:
thats quite a bit of time to spend in the water I wonder if they were kitted out with a drysuit

Yea. Report said there were no injuries or medical attention needed
Old 14 January 2018, 20:02   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:

This time of year I’d have thought at least a wet suit...

Jambo has done a much better job of getting to the facts but here is the “dramatic version” https://stv.tv/news/west-central/140...boat-capsized/
Old 14 January 2018, 21:20   #7

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
That report is absolute rubbish my daughter was in one of the boats and they had the situation under control untill the lifeboat came and took over.( doing 1500quid worth of damage to the boat in the process) dinghys often capsize but crews right them and sail on which they were doing they were wearing appropriate gear expecting to be in the water at some point
In this instance they would have been better off if the lifeboat had not attended
Old 14 January 2018, 21:32   #8

It was also originally 1 male and one female in each boat but my daughter's crew (who were both lighter than the other boat) swapped with the crew of the other boat to help right the boat and untangle sails they were on the verge of being able to sail back to the club unaided when the lifeboat arrived and took over
Old 14 January 2018, 21:35   #9
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
That report is absolute rubbish my daughter was in one of the boats and they had the situation under control untill the lifeboat came and took over.( doing 1500quid worth of damage to the boat in the process) dinghys often capsize but crews right them and sail on which they were doing they were wearing appropriate gear expecting to be in the water at some point
In this instance they would have been better off if the lifeboat had not attended

Was it really a F8? What sort of boat?
Presumably there was no club rescue boat around?

Nobody is required to accept assistance from the RNLI. Seems odd that the Cumbrae boat took one person ashore if all was OK, but also odd that the RNLI were worrying about recovering the boat if all was not OK.

But I doubt anyone will be surprised that the news source has perhaps misrepresented the reality. #fakenews !
Old 14 January 2018, 21:50   #10

No way was it a f8 it wasn't daft kids out sailing it was very experienced people. Both boats were RS200 they were practicing heavy weather sailing
The cumbrae rib was first on scene and stood by while they sorted sails in the water they were just about to right the boat having dropped the main and freed the tangled jib to sail in with the jib when the lb arrived they both got into the lifeboat but my daughter was cold having been in the water longest so they said take her back to the club in the cumbrae rib while we recover the boat
The other girl asked them to drop the jib and one of the lifeboat crew told the Cox to slow down as he was giving the boat a hard time but they carried on bending the mast and tearing the jib sail
They had sailed upwind and were drifting back towards the club
I'd volunteered to take a boat out for safety cover but they were happy the two boats could look after each other
The whole thing blown out of proportion
Old 14 January 2018, 21:57   #11

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I'd just picked up on the highly trained journalist's needless and incorrect use of the apostrophe and bad spelling - "two dinghy's" - surely "two dinghies"? I 'm sure the journalist had had the benefit of a university education!

Anyway, glad no-one was injured, and crews were properly attired for the conditions.

So much fake and created news about
Old 14 January 2018, 22:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelandterrier View Post
I'd just picked up on the highly trained journalist's needless and incorrect use of the apostrophe and bad spelling - "two dinghy's" - surely "two dinghies"? I 'm sure the journalist had had the benefit of a university education!

Anyway, glad no-one was injured, and crews were properly attired for the conditions.

So much fake and created news about
Lol didnt you spot the new spelling of aryshire? Couldnt even spell the county correctly
Old 15 January 2018, 07:40   #13

Town: Darlington
Boat name: Duo-diver
Make: Avon SR5.4
Engine: Mariner 90hp
RIBase
My local volunteer RNLI 'dismembered' a stranded yacht a few years ago, pulling off various bits and pieces.
There was a bit of a hoo-haa about it, but as I said it takes two to tango and the yachties could have simply waited for the tide to turn and float off, with boat in attendance, just in-case of damage, instead they secured the hawser to various insubstantial parts.
I still pick up odd bits of stainless steel when diving that site!
Old 15 January 2018, 15:44   #14
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
No way was it a f8 it wasn't daft kids out sailing it was very experienced people. Both boats were RS200 they were practicing heavy weather sailing
The cumbrae rib was first on scene and stood by while they sorted sails in the water they were just about to right the boat having dropped the main and freed the tangled jib to sail in with the jib when the lb arrived they both got into the lifeboat but my daughter was cold having been in the water longest so they said take her back to the club in the cumbrae rib while we recover the boat
The other girl asked them to drop the jib and one of the lifeboat crew told the Cox to slow down as he was giving the boat a hard time but they carried on bending the mast and tearing the jib sail
They had sailed upwind and were drifting back towards the club
I'd volunteered to take a boat out for safety cover but they were happy the two boats could look after each other
The whole thing blown out of proportion

Would they take a handheld next time and stand down the RNLI when they hear the mayday relay broadcast? (Presumably that’s what cumbrae responded to?)
Old 15 January 2018, 17:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Would they take a handheld next time and stand down the RNLI when they hear the mayday relay broadcast? (Presumably that’s what cumbrae responded to?)
Yes a hh would be the thing to take but they had eyes on the beach as there was 5 crew and only 2 boats, the plan was to return and swap crew after the first circuit (the guy on the beach is an mca surveyor) who could have called for help if required or jumped in a club rib. He was oblivious to the mayday as he didn't have a vhf either.
Yes the Cumbrae rib had responded to the c16 call but he could see everyone was ok and just stood by while they sorted the boat.
Old 15 January 2018, 18:10   #16
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Yes a hh would be the thing to take but they had eyes on the beach as there was 5 crew and only 2 boats, the plan was to return and swap crew after the first circuit (the guy on the beach is an mca surveyor) who could have called for help if required or jumped in a club rib. He was oblivious to the mayday as he didn't have a vhf either.
Yes the Cumbrae rib had responded to the c16 call but he could see everyone was ok and just stood by while they sorted the boat.

Aye, I figured they didn’t consider themselves in distress. I guess there is a learning point there about how other people ashore will perceive the situation and preempting a call.
Old 15 January 2018, 18:17   #17

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
RIBase
Always think it is better to respond than not at all. What would have been said if the reverse presumption was taken??
Old 15 January 2018, 18:23   #18
RIBnet admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Always think it is better to respond than not at all. What would have been said if the reverse presumption was taken??

Oh absolutely, if you were on the shore and didn’t call it in, and then it turned out to be serious you would regret it forever; and you have to expect the CG to respond and the LB to launch to a report of two dinghies capsized. When they respond though the CG usually broadcast a Mayday Relay in the area which could have alerted the sailors or the shore person to say “no immediate danger” - they may still have come anyway, or they may have said update in 10 minutes to confirm all now OK.
Old 15 January 2018, 18:28   #19

Town: Nottingham
Length: no boat
RIBase
Having run a sailing club my few pence worth...

RNLI sometimes show up attending capsized dingies, usually similar to this where a member of the public has seen something from the shore and called. I've been taken by surprise twice by RNLI boats appearing at capsizes where I'm just standing off waiting for the crew to right the boat themselves. As has already been said, I'd always rather they show up and aren't needed than the other way round...!

Secondly - towing modern high performance dingies (Inc anything with a skiff hull, such as a 200, despite its small size and PY) is much harder than it looks, especially downwind. Sailing club coxswains normally know how to tow these boat. My experience is most RNLI crews don't, since it isn't really their core business. Our standing instructions anywhere I worked on the coast were not let this happen unless absolutely necessary.
Old 15 January 2018, 19:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_Rs600 View Post
Having run a sailing club my few pence worth...

RNLI sometimes show up attending capsized dingies, usually similar to this where a member of the public has seen something from the shore and called. I've been taken by surprise twice by RNLI boats appearing at capsizes where I'm just standing off waiting for the crew to right the boat themselves. As has already been said, I'd always rather they show up and aren't needed than the other way round...!

Secondly - towing modern high performance dingies (Inc anything with a skiff hull, such as a 200, despite its small size and PY) is much harder than it looks, especially downwind. Sailing club coxswains normally know how to tow these boat. My experience is most RNLI crews don't, since it isn't really their core business. Our standing instructions anywhere I worked on the coast were not let this happen unless absolutely necessary.
The annoying thing is the lifeboat Cox is a club member and safety boat driver and knows full well how fragile these things are.
His reply to my daughter's crews request to take down the sail to avoid damage was 'don't worry her parents will buy her a new one!'
The two girls were fine my daughter had gone back in the Cumbrae rib as she was the coldest having been in the water the longest. There was no need to rush or be rough with the dinghy as it was only 1/2 a mile back to the slip.
Definitely a few lessons to be learned re vhf com's & safety boats
Although the guys she was out with could have taken a safety boat they don't like doing it as it wasn't a club event and it then opens a can of worms re who can use safety boats for what purpose.
I have a small rib sat in a shed which would have been ideal and I think the plan is get the tyres blown up on the trailer and service the engine and they can use that
After the insurance claim is settled of course!