Old 24 August 2022, 19:58   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Blue lagoon ( not the film)

Itching to get back out, but with my boat in North Cornwall and me 300 miles away that itch is not so easy to scratch.
I'm planning on collecting My rib on Saturday morning as I was down in Cardigan last week delivering I thought how fantastic the coastline looked and i could make a weekend of it being the bank holiday.

I'm taking my Son and his mate and my son loves harbour jumping and I have seen the place called Blue Lagoon (Abereiddy, Haverfordwest SA62 6DT) in fact Harry Dwyer went there in part 11 in his around the UK tour on Goodwin.....so I thought I would surprise my son as it's his last weekend of the summer holidays and a last blow out before he starts his exam year.

I'm looking for a nice spot to launch from somewhere around the Pembrokeshire coastline......somewhere I can launch from park the car and trailer and leave it for a couple of days.
We are going this weekend so if any of the Welsh Contingent or anyone who knows this coastline have any suggestions I would be grateful.
Hope your all having a great season......foxy.
Old 24 August 2022, 20:33   #2

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Are you looking for North Pembs (Abereiddy area) or South (Cleddau estuary)?
Old 24 August 2022, 20:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Are you looking for North Pembs (Abereiddy area) or South (Cleddau estuary)?
Ideally somewhere in St Brides bay but I would like to launch no further south than Milford Haven and no further north than Fishguard.
I have picked this area because of time constraints bit I plan on doing much more of the welsh coastline
These plan's of course are all weather dependent.
Old 24 August 2022, 21:12   #4

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Engine: E-TEC 150
Hmmmm, not an easy bit of coastline and not one I know intimately. Options that spring to mind are Little Haven, Solva, Porth Clais (St. David's. All are very tide constrained though...
Porthgain might be your best bet, unless you want to go right to your North or South limits and go for Fishguard, Dale or Milford Haven
Old 24 August 2022, 21:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Tallis View Post
Hmmmm, not an easy bit of coastline and not one I know intimately. Options that spring to mind are Little Haven, Solva, Porth Clais (St. David's. All are very tide constrained though...
Porthgain might be your best bet, unless you want to go right to your North or South limits and go for Fishguard, Dale or Milford Haven
I looked at Solva they have a rowing and water sports club with slipway.....but I will havd to call them as it may be private! Cheers.
Old 25 August 2022, 10:58   #6

Town: St Davids
Boat name: Mellifera
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
You can launch at porthclais around 2-3 hours either side of high water easily and lower if you are prepared to drive and launch over gravel and sand. It is a nice trip round from porthclais to the blue lagoon taking in Ramsey sound, St Davids Head before heading up to the lagoon.

You can even enter the lagoon around hw, and the years red bull cliff diving has been there I’ve done it to watch. Or just anchor off and swim in.

The Porthclais Harbour master (Alun) is very nice and accommodating, I am sure for a small fee he would be able to arrange trailer and car parking for a few days. ( I can DM you his number if required)

Solva is accessible at similar times although it’ll be a slightly longer trip. Not sure about parking here though, especially over bank holiday weekend.

Porthgain is the closest and has a hard slip around hw or sand launch on a tide.

The only thing to be mindful of is wind against tide through the sound and around St Davids head. If there is a decent swell running it can go from very easy going to very interesting with the turn of tide.
Old 25 August 2022, 15:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonStDavids View Post
You can launch at porthclais around 2-3 hours either side of high water easily and lower if you are prepared to drive and launch over gravel and sand. It is a nice trip round from porthclais to the blue lagoon taking in Ramsey sound, St Davids Head before heading up to the lagoon.

You can even enter the lagoon around hw, and the years red bull cliff diving has been there I’ve done it to watch. Or just anchor off and swim in.

The Porthclais Harbour master (Alun) is very nice and accommodating, I am sure for a small fee he would be able to arrange trailer and car parking for a few days. ( I can DM you his number if required)

Solva is accessible at similar times although it’ll be a slightly longer trip. Not sure about parking here though, especially over bank holiday weekend.

Porthgain is the closest and has a hard slip around hw or sand launch on a tide.

The only thing to be mindful of is wind against tide through the sound and around St Davids head. If there is a decent swell running it can go from very easy going to very interesting with the turn of tide.
Thanks for that info. I would be grateful if you could dm me the harbour masters number. I will look at the forcast later tomorrow to make a final decision....St David's head best hit at slack tide then?
Thanks again buddy.
Old 25 August 2022, 19:44   #8

Town: St Davids
Boat name: Mellifera
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
RIBase
Blue lagoon ( not the film)

No problem. PM sent with the details.

As per passage the tide is a bit weird round these parts and tends to continue flooding up to two hours after HW, same on the ebb. So slack water is about two hours after the turn in the tide.

It’s worth seeing the sound in full flow if you can, and seeing the bitches in full flood is pretty impressive. Plenty of wildlife to see and over falls to play in.

Slack water isn’t required for the passage, especially if you have a capable vessel but the comment was to keep an eye on the wind and swell as it can stack up quickly as the tide races here.

If your son likes jumping there are quite a few places you can access by boat too.
Old 25 August 2022, 19:50   #9

Quote:

As per passage the tide is a bit weird round these parts and tends to continue flooding up to two hours after HW, same on the ebb. So slack water is about two hours after the turn in the tide.

It’s worth seeing the sound in full flow if you can, and seeing the bitches in full flood is pretty impressive. Plenty of wildlife to see and over falls to play in.

Slack water isn’t required for the passage, especially if you have a capable vessel but the comment was to keep an eye on the wind and swell as it can stack up quickly as the tide races here.

If your son likes jumping there are quite a few places you can access by boat too.
My Son loves the cliff dives....he just backflips them like it's nothing.
If I can spot a few seals and puffins I will be made up....that whole coastline looks so interesting..
I will take a few snaps and do a bit of a write up.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 01 September 2022, 11:21   #10

Quote:

First thing First....thanks for the recommendation Porthclais was perfect. Although that tide goes out super quick ( went for a coffee at the car park and the boat got beached lol.) The slipway was busy but everyone was super friendly with nobody getting humpty . I took a look at the bitches bit decided not to go through them as i figured it was rocks kicking up the white water. We decided to go around Ramsey....a bit choppy but fine until you get to the northside ....bugger me did it get fun. The boat handled it fine but it made my backside twitch lol. I rode the waves perfectly......bar one! I lept off the top of one wave into the void only to punch through the next wave...yes we got a little damp lol. That part of Pembrokeshire is stunning and we came across all sorts of wildlife. The blue lagoon was amazing and my Son and his friend had no hesitation jumping off the big jump. I have a feeling this will not be the lsst time I go to Pembrokeshire. All the best... Foxy ps couldn't get hold of Alun and the fella in the van at the car park said he went to some boat race.....so he took £10 off me to park launch and park the trailer at the side of the slipway....bargain..