Old 08 June 2021, 12:52   #1

Town: Lynmouth
Boat name: Gandalf
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100 HP Outboard
Best Repair for Leaking seam

Hi,

I recently purchased a second hand rib and I have discovered that at the taped seam where the cones join the rear of the tube there is a leak. Would it be best to try and squeeze glue into the leaking area (about 1/2 cm long) or to patch over the top?

Cheers all
Andy D
Old 08 June 2021, 13:10   #2

Town: Chatswood
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDove View Post
Hi,

I recently purchased a second hand rib and I have discovered that at the taped seam where the cones join the rear of the tube there is a leak. Would it be best to try and squeeze glue into the leaking area (about 1/2 cm long) or to patch over the top?

Cheers all
Andy D
Hi Andy, any chance you could post a photo? Squeezing glue in won't work. the proper adhesive (is it PVC or Hypalon?) works like conact glue... they have to dry to almost tack free before the two sides adhere to each other by mechanical force. If it's the last seam before the cone there's unlikely to be a baffle there so you could expose more of the seam and patch it (if the leak extends past the seam), or (if it doesn't) glue the seam back using the proper adhesive and method. Bear in mind leaks from under seams can be misleading as sometmes the air is leaking elsewhere and channeling along the seam to a point where it can escape. Hopefully that's not your case
Old 08 June 2021, 13:34   #3

Town: Lynmouth
Boat name: Gandalf
Make: Ribeye
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100 HP Outboard
Thanks. I'll take a picture and post it later or tomorrow. I believe its PVC rather than Hypalon.

Tags
repair