Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 September 2013, 08:27   #1

Town: London/Pembrokeshire
Make: Solent
Length: 5m +
Engine: 75hp Etec
Best launching spot in Poole area

I'm planning an outing from Poole to Lulworth this Saturday (and hoping the weather stays as nice as the long range forecast indicates!)

Have not launched anywhere near there before. I've done the usual trawl of places on BoatLaunch but there doesn't seem to be any "no brainer, that one's the best" slips. At least that I can find...! We're a 5.4m rib but not pulled by a 4x4 so slightly less gun-ho than I would be...

Does anyone with local knowledge have a view?

Cheers
Old 30 September 2013, 08:52   #2

Town: Poole
Boat name: Blue Ocean
Make: Ribeye 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 115
Hi HJones, you have a couple of options in Poole.

Starting with the cheapest, Baiter is a very shallow public slipway, so you are likey to need to move it up and down by hand to get deep enough to launch unless you want to get your wheels wet. It is a fairly good surface so should not be an issue with a couple of you and a 5.4m RIB. I think its about £17 for the day and you can park your trailer there and get Harbour dues. Don't forget you need to pay for harbour dues where ever you launch.

Second on the list, there is a slipway in Davis's yard, near Cobbs Quay. It is tidal though so check the tides as it may rule this out. The slipway is quite steep, but you should be OK depending on your car. There is a winch there. don't know the exact cost but somewhere between Baiter and Cobbs.

My favourite is Cobbs Quay, a nice medium concrete slip, all tide access and a fuel pontoon right next to it. You can park your car and trailer but it is expensive. £47 a day I think.

Launching at Cobbs or Davis will prob mean an extra 15/20mins to get to sea as opposed to Baiter. The bridges will be no issue for you.

Be aware of the speed limits in Holes bay until you get to to main channel (6knt) but the 10knt speed limit is lifted as of 1st Oct (for the main channel, not everywhere). However it does apply again when going through through the entrance past the chain ferry.

Have fun.

Andy
Old 30 September 2013, 09:53   #3

Thanks Andy - very useful.

Just had a look at Baiter again on Google earth and I think I'll plump for that - it can't be any shallower than Warsash at HT this past Saturday (I flipping hope!)... ended up with circa 30m of rope between trailer and car to get her out!

I tend to launch solo (ok, a bit of help from the better half with the occasional wave of "left!", "right!", usually in the wrong direction!) but the surface looks good so shouldn't be a problem.

Not a cheap part of the world clearly! :-) £47 for a day...wow.
Old 30 September 2013, 10:37   #4

Town: Poole
Boat name: Exodus
Make: Tohatsu
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude 150
Baiter is fine for most launches. Beware low tide recovery especially Springs, the end of the slip is marked by two posts, stay between them but do not go past them. It can get a bit choppy when the wind is in the south / south east over a f3.
There is a fair drop off the end of the ramp and you will really struggle to get over it, better to wait for more water than risk a snapped rope.
We generally use a rope to pull the trailer up after recovering but that's for a 7mtr Rib, smaller craft can generally be pushed to the water line to connect to the car.
You can pay the fees by phone and bank card if you haven't got the cash.
Parking in the summer can be crowded but this time of year should be easy.
Old 30 September 2013, 11:37   #5
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 140
I am not sure on this but doesnt MDL cobbs quay drop there prices for winter launching on the 1st October? It is a great slip with hoses to wash down.
Old 30 September 2013, 18:31   #6

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
We are Baiter park regulars, we happily drop our trailer off the end of the slip on spring lows, I can pull it back up the small 3-4" lip fine one handed, its a 1200kg rated 20ft trailer.

Its about 10 quid to launch at Baiter & that includes any harbour dues iirc. If its spring lows head out about 100m & take a right keeping to the slightly deeper channel & head to the right of the Conservatory on stilts until you find the main channel.
Old 01 October 2013, 17:38   #7

Thanks cptsideways & Into The Blue - very useful info.

AJ. - thanks. Will check-in with MDL too as the slip does look good. Had just be a bit cheaper! At least some change from two £20s would be nice....
Old 01 October 2013, 20:02   #8

Town: Gillingham Dorset
Boat name: Green Marlin
Make: Quickilver
Engine: 90hp Mariner
Baiter has a wash down area too - you will need a screw on tap to hose adapter
Old 07 October 2013, 14:00   #9

Thanks all for the tips last week - made it down to Poole on Saturday and decided to go for Cobbs Quay with an overnight berth whilst we camped. Weather was too good to miss and very glad we did both days... sunday was a millpond in the morning.