Old 09 May 2023, 20:14   #1

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Battery cable crimping tool

Hi Guys

Had to relocate my battery and need a longer battery cable, all sorted except I need to crimp one ring terminal and don't have the appropriate tool.

Anyone in the Fareham, Portsmouth, Southampton area have one that they could let me use?

Happy to pay in beer tokens.

Andy
Old 10 May 2023, 07:29   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Andy

Hi

I've got one of these (from Fernaux Riddell in Portsmouth):
https://www.furneauxriddall.com/coll...-crimping-tool

You are welcome to use it, and I'm based in Clanfield so not too far away, but am not at home now until after the weekend.

I have to say that for the price I've been really impressed with the tool, it's also easy to store being so small. You just need a solid surface and a lump hammer, so you can't really crimp in situ on a boat.
I've used it to make loads of battery cables for motorcycles, and recently used it for the first of the #2 battery cables for my 225 Opti, which it handled very well.
Old 10 May 2023, 07:52   #3

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Andy

Hi

I've got one of these (from Fernaux Riddell in Portsmouth):
https://www.furneauxriddall.com/coll...-crimping-tool

You are welcome to use it, and I'm based in Clanfield so not too far away, but am not at home now until after the weekend.

I have to say that for the price I've been really impressed with the tool, it's also easy to store being so small. You just need a solid surface and a lump hammer, so you can't really crimp in situ on a boat.
I've used it to make loads of battery cables for motorcycles, and recently used it for the first of the #2 battery cables for my 225 Opti, which it handled very well.
Have you seen the hydraulic cable crimps on ebay? My pal bought one & I was sceptical that it would be any good but I used it and its great, obviously expensive for a one off but for anyone doing a few its a no brainer at sub £30
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165564839...mis&media=COPY
Old 10 May 2023, 08:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Have you seen the hydraulic cable crimps on ebay? My pal bought one & I was sceptical that it would be any good but I used it and its great, obviously expensive for a one off but for anyone doing a few its a no brainer at sub £30
Aaaggghhhhhh, why do you guys do this too me?

First thing this morning I was perfectly happy and contented with my Anvil type Crimp tool, and removing cables each time to crimp the ends on a suitable surface.

Now, by the end of today I know I'll be £30 less well off but will be able to crimp in situ.
Why Can't I resist these things
Old 10 May 2023, 09:21   #5

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Have you seen the hydraulic cable crimps on ebay? My pal bought one & I was skeptical that it would be any good but I used it and its great, obviously expensive for a one off but for anyone doing a few its a no brainer at sub £30
Snap, I bought one years ago when renewing the cables on my Ribtec 9m - probably not much difference cost wise to having multiple cables and links made up for me and has been put to use numerous times since on the sailing yacht, cars, etc., so definitely worked out well overall!
Old 10 May 2023, 11:35   #6

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
If you have an electrical factors close by, most of them hire out crimping tools. If you only have 1 cable to do no doubt they will sell you a couple of suitable lugs and let you crimp them at the counter.
Old 10 May 2023, 11:37   #7

Thanks for the reply's, just gone ahead and bought one on Amazon with guaranteed delivery tomorrow. I was trying to resist buying one as I only need one end crimped but as I cant get the boat back together until I have it I guess its worth it.

Andy
Old 14 May 2023, 08:09   #8

How did you get on with your Crimping tool Wightdiver?

Mine from the above Ebay link arrived yesterday.
Over all it appears to be well constructed, but will need a little fettling before I'm happy.

I thought I'd give it a try crimping a tube terminal on to a piece of 16mm2 Oceanflex pre-tinned battery cable.
I have lots of that size cable and crimps around me from making up Battery and starter cables for my old Ducatis.

Using the 16mm2 die set from the box the crimp appeared good, I nipped it up until the dies touched as mentioned in the instructions.
However, when I put the terminal in the vise and pulled the cable it came out quite easily.
I used the 10mm2 die set and got a really good crimp, but it's on the border of being too damaged for my liking.

It looks to me as if I can get round the problem by taking a small amount off the mating surfaces of the dies, but will need to go easy so I don't take too much off in one go.
Old 17 May 2023, 15:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
How did you get on with your Crimping tool Wightdiver?

Mine from the above Ebay link arrived yesterday.
Over all it appears to be well constructed, but will need a little fettling before I'm happy.

I thought I'd give it a try crimping a tube terminal on to a piece of 16mm2 Oceanflex pre-tinned battery cable.
I have lots of that size cable and crimps around me from making up Battery and starter cables for my old Ducatis.

Using the 16mm2 die set from the box the crimp appeared good, I nipped it up until the dies touched as mentioned in the instructions.
However, when I put the terminal in the vise and pulled the cable it came out quite easily.
I used the 10mm2 die set and got a really good crimp, but it's on the border of being too damaged for my liking.

It looks to me as if I can get round the problem by taking a small amount off the mating surfaces of the dies, but will need to go easy so I don't take too much off in one go.
The one I bought was very similar to your first one, although a different make. I had to hit it three times with a lump hammer but the results were more than satisfactory. As you said its a good solution as long as you do not need to carry out the work in the boat. I only had one crimp to do so if you know anyone that needs a lightly used crimping tool........
Old 17 May 2023, 19:12   #10

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
The one I bought was very similar to your first one, although a different make. I had to hit it three times with a lump hammer but the results were more than satisfactory. As you said its a good solution as long as you do not need to carry out the work in the boat. I only had one crimp to do so if you know anyone that needs a lightly used crimping tool........

I have the same tool, I find that using a vice to close the crimp produces better results than the lump hammer.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2023, 21:45   #11

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
I’ve just used the same tool on my boat re wire, worked every time. I also stuck a bit of flux on the bare wire before crimping then after crimping dribbled a bit of solder down the hole.

I tested the holding power on one of them, I couldn’t get them to budge.