Old 21 February 2021, 16:41   #1

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Ugly Rib
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu30mfs
Avon Searider tube construction

Hi,
Excuse my ignorance but would somebody be willing to briefly explain the construction of the tubes on my early(unknown age) Avon Searider Sr4? There are two valves on port tube and one valve rear of starboard tube.Are there bladders inside the actual external tubes I e.three separate bladder chambers? What actually separates these 3 valves?
So I am actually asking in my honest to God ignorance because the starboard tube whilst being inflated made a rather large bang and the other side of the tubes inflated too!
Thing is she is now holding air really well but releasing any one of the valves and the whole thing goes flat!
Thanks,if anyone has the time for answering!
Old 21 February 2021, 16:59   #2

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyrib View Post
Hi,
Excuse my ignorance but would somebody be willing to briefly explain the construction of the tubes on my early(unknown age) Avon Searider Sr4? There are two valves on port tube and one valve rear of starboard tube.Are there bladders inside the actual external tubes I e.three separate bladder chambers? What actually separates these 3 valves?
So I am actually asking in my honest to God ignorance because the starboard tube whilst being inflated made a rather large bang and the other side of the tubes inflated too!
Thing is she is now holding air really well but releasing any one of the valves and the whole thing goes flat!

You’ve blown a baffle. The tubes are separated by internal baffles. It sounds like one or both have failed.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2021, 17:01   #3

Length: 7m +
Every RIB I've come across has its tubes separated into chambers using baffles. I've never come across bladders within the chambers.

The baffles can fail over time: allowing air to go from one chamber to a neighbouring one. I suspect this was your loud bang, transferring air into the other chamber.

I assume that one of the Port valves is a lot closer to the bow than the other? If that's the case then the middle one would normally be for the bow chamber and the ones either side for the Port and Starboard chambers.

In short by the sounds of it, the baffles in your tubes have failed. As long as its holding pressure I wouldn't worry, however if you lose pressure on the water expect for them all to go flat.
Old 21 February 2021, 17:21   #4

Town: Belfast
Boat name: Ugly Rib
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Tohatsu30mfs
Searider tube construction

Thank you for prompt replies.I can now say I am no longer baffled in every sense of the word!
I expect due to her age all baffled have now indeed gone.Thanks again for replies.
Old 21 February 2021, 21:07   #5

Town: suffolk
Boat name: not yet
Make: Gemini
Engine: Suzuki 140
Athough your large bang sounds terminal under normal circumstances the seperating baffle is not a tight tube diameter circle ,when inflated if you could see it would appear more !/2 egg shape (in the tube ) so if you think about it it would depend which way you have pushed the egg shape as to how flat chambers either side would be if punctured ,so a non punctured chamber could appear punctured as the neighbouring chamber pushes the egg shape into a emptieing chamber
sorry i am now baffled
Old 21 February 2021, 21:12   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin.higgins View Post
Every RIB I've come across has its tubes separated into chambers using baffles. I've never come across bladders within the chambers.

The baffles can fail over time: allowing air to go from one chamber to a neighbouring one. I suspect this was your loud bang, transferring air into the other chamber.

I assume that one of the Port valves is a lot closer to the bow than the other? If that's the case then the middle one would normally be for the bow chamber and the ones either side for the Port and Starboard chambers.

In short by the sounds of it, the baffles in your tubes have failed. As long as its holding pressure I wouldn't worry, however if you lose pressure on the water expect for them all to go flat.
Id definitely be worried about going any distance in a searider with all the baffles failed, that means zero residual bouyancy if you get one puncture, the idea of the baffles is if one chambers deflates then you can continue on with the remaining two, In the case of this boat one puncture and its going to sink like a stone
Old 22 February 2021, 09:30   #7

Town: Maybole
Boat name: Greylag
Make: AVON Searider
Engine: Outboard Petrol 70hp
SR Baffle Construction & Repair

Ignorance means a learning Monday - my 1988 SR6 Factory manual shows a construction detail and has a bit on repairing the baffles that appear to be fabric including the inserted cone - it may be the part that has blow through. The entire baffle may not have failed.
Best wishes and have a good week!
Iain
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ribnet 22-2-21 01.pdf (25.2 KB, 90 views)
File Type: pdf Ribent 22-2-21 Baffle 02.pdf (52.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 22 February 2021, 10:12   #8

Town: Stonehaven
Boat name: Sunday Best
Make: Tornado
Engine: Yammy 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyrib View Post
Hi,
I know this isn't what you asked... but just a general note that in future on a RIB when baffles are still in good condition, it is good practice to start inflating at the bow and work your way back, as doing it the opposite way can cause the cone to pop in to the chamber and it isn't great for them...
I always apply maNthematics to my purchases - tell her it cost a chunk less than it did, then tell her I got a chunk more than I really did for the one I sold... The new purchase seldom costs a penny...
SimonCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 15:16   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonCh View Post
I know this isn't what you asked... but just a general note that in future on a RIB when baffles are still in good condition, it is good practice to start inflating at the bow and work your way back, as doing it the opposite way can cause the cone to pop in to the chamber and it isn't great for them...
Agreed, that's certainly something I always advocate. Furthermore, I normally inflate to around half working pressure in all compartments, then do a final top up to full working pressure, again working from the bow aft.

As has also been stated above, using a RIB with all the baffles blown really isn't a great idea, especially a Searider which has minimal inherent buoyancy due to the flooding hull. You'll want to get that fixed.

Tags
avon, searider