Old 13 May 2004, 08:53   #1

Town: Maastricht
Make: Bombard
Length: 580
Engine: Yamaha F100AET
Avon Searider

Hello everybody,

I have a few questions about the Avon Searider 540.

I'm looking for a secondhand rib of about 5,5 m and have a budget of 10.000-11.000 euro's (about 7.000-7.500 pounds). I have seen one of 1991 on a trailer. It has an A-frame, lights, fishfinder and so on and has an 1991 Yamaha 90 two-stroke. The asking-price is about 6.500 pounds. It's in good condition according to the owner.

Can somebody tell me if it's a fair price?
What could be an alternative and isn't it better to look for a rib in England?
Does somebody have some suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Stephan
Old 13 May 2004, 09:15   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Hi Stephan,

I think that's a little expensive for an older Searider. ( I also think that Sea riders are the absolute best small boat) if you drop a few pounds pounds and it's in Holland then it's a bargain.

The hull and tubes are very tough on a Searider so unless they are visibly damaged then they are probably sound. If the bottom is antifouled it may be hiding a repair. Electronics fail after a while so they don't count for a large part of the value of the boat. It will probably need a rewire but that's just age.

The engine counts for a good part of the value of the boat and 90 Yamaha's are the best small 2 strokes made, or at least that's what I think. Buy te engine as if you are buying a car. service history, overall condition and get a proper Yamaha expert to check it out. Remember that most sea riders were bought as working boats and as such they would have had a hard life and the engine will have some hours on it

I love Seariders and I am really looking forward to getting mine in the water.

A lot of cloggies do buy there boats over here and they say that the only place where there are enough choices to make a buying trip worthwhile is on the South coast. Southampton + 50 mile radius.

If you want to come over and need somewhere to stay you are welcome to stay with the Jackeens! (or if you have a sense of humour you can stay with us!)

Send a couple of Digipicks

regards Stuart
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2004, 10:33   #3

Avon

Thanks for the information.

You can see the boat at www.marktplaats.nl

click on "watersport, boten..." and then click on "rubberboten"

If you search for "ex reddingboot" you will see the advertisement.

So it must be possible to find a boat for that price. I would like to come over some time but I'm quite busy working 5 days a week.

Does anyone have alternatives?
Old 13 May 2004, 11:21   #4

That's a nice Sea Rider. The Hull hasn't been antifoulde so it's easier to check
The A frame and console are the more expensive ones that Avon produce and it all looks good........providing that's a current picture...is this an austion house
Old 13 May 2004, 11:35   #5

Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4, Avon 3.4,
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90, Merc 30
yeah she does look hard as nails
Old 13 May 2004, 11:44   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
I think she looks expensive,have you seen this?http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4779

Des
Old 13 May 2004, 12:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Des
I think she looks expensive,have you seen this?http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4779

Des
Hi Des

I think the dutch sea rider is a tad pricey, but it's definitely worth a grand mare than the searider on ribnet.

I say this because it's a commercial spec hull and they build em a little bit tougher than the deluxe model. As a PAC owner I am sure you can go for that

The deluxe has bench type seats as opposed to Jockey seats I think jockeys are preferable in a Sea Rider

The A frame on the Dutch boat is a very substantial job. 1200 pound to buy from Avon

The console is a super console and can offer some spray resistance.

Also Ribs is dear in Holland so it will have a higher resale value than over here and you have to factor the cost of coming over to get it.

having said all that I think all sea riders are fab just some are more fabber than others

if you are reading this Stephan what does exreddingboat mean

Cheers
Stuart

You also have to consider that Ribs are dearer in Holland
Old 13 May 2004, 12:56   #8

Stuart
I take your point about Dutch prices but look at this http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/YOR047/ other that the A frame it looks the same and its got a newer engine, Ok it's only £500 cheaper but how much is a 4 year old Mercury 75 worth?
Des
Old 13 May 2004, 13:03   #9

Stuart

Given the price difference and the fact that Holland is only a few hours away perhaps we should start exporting a few, We’ll be rich by Christmas

Des
Old 13 May 2004, 14:44   #10

Thanks for all that info. I'll call the owner about the year the picture has been taken. By the way: ex reddingsboot means that it is een ex rescue boat.

I called the owner last week and asked him why he wants to sell it. He answered me that he had a sore back (he sounded like about almost 60 years of age) and his boys didn't want the boat. He said the whole combination is in a good condition but I have to see it first (and of course hear the engine).

All you seem to be very positive about the commercial Searider. Are there maybe alternatives?

And I think you're right. There are not so many ribs on the market here, so exporting isn't a bad idea.

Pleas let me know about alternatives for I am desperate to find a new boat. Last weekend I sold my 460 with the 50 Honda on a trailer for 8.000 euros. The combi was of 2001.

By the way: what about the 6 m Ribtec with a 140 2-stroke Suzuki with trailer for about 7.000 pound (10.500 euro). Look at www.marktplaats.nl and click on watersport/boten and then search for Ribtec.

greetings,

Stephan
Old 13 May 2004, 15:55   #11

MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
Hi Des

if you are reading this Stephan what does exreddingboat mean

Cheers
Stuart

You also have to consider that Ribs are dearer in Holland

It is 'rescue boat' according to the babel fish website. Borne out by it's appearance. Looks like a cracking boot too.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:00   #12

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Stephan, I would choose the Ribtec, certainly looks in good condition. My only problem with Ribtecs is they are very expensive new, but it will have a lot more space inside and feel like a much bigger boat at sea.

Pete
Old 13 May 2004, 16:18   #13

MMSI: Nope
The Avon searider....I have had another look at that photo on the auction website.

Call me cynical but...the boat is an ex- rescue boat, in the photo it looks pretty new, the photo was probably taken early in it's life.

If it was my money I would want to go and see it in the flesh before i bid on it to ensure it hasn't deteriorated in the interim 13 years or so.
It may well be a bit more of a project than it looks after 13 yrs of wear and tear.

Just a thought from an old tightwad
Old 13 May 2004, 17:27   #14

Stephan

heres a picture of 'Bugle Billy' which is our Sea Rider, I am getting a 5.4 on the water in about a months time and am really looking forwards to it.

I wouldn't buy the Ribtec Avons are much more fun.

http://www.firstwaveribs.com/images/...uglebilly3.jpg
Old 13 May 2004, 18:14   #15

Is that creature in the boat a halfling (yes, I've seen Lord of the Rings) or is it just a big boat. I think you wouldn't sell it for about 10.000 euros.

I'll call the owner and try to make an appointment with him.

I've got to find a boat before I go on holiday to Spain the 1st of july. Unfortunately my girlfriend is not as enthousiastic about buying a new rib as I am. By the way: I like the searider very much. But on the other hand: the Ribtec 6m is bigger and has a bigger engine.

By the way: I just called him. The hull is 1988 and the tubes are 1993. It's an ex border patrol and the man owns it since 1999. according to him it's in a very good condition and the picture has been taken a few weeks ago.
Old 13 May 2004, 20:06   #16

Town: Dublin
Boat name: ?
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 115
Stephen, You have got to go see the boat and check the usual things. You had a boat before so you should have n experienced eye. Check the hull and deck for cracks chips and grazing. Check the console condition, electrics, battery, fuel tank, fuel line, steering system and steering cable. Have a good look at the tubes and check all the valves. Pull at the seams especially around the transom and bow areas.

Check the engine or get someone to check the engine for you for condition, corrosion, mountings prop shaft, compression, spark etc.

Don't forget to have a good look at the trailer.

Get a sea trial.

Remember all the little things that need fixing add up to a lot of money. Build all the repairs, engine servicing etc into the price when you make your offer and hold out for the best deal.

The Seariders are a practical workhorse type boat and can stand up to a lot of use. Most people on this forum have nothing but praise for this type of boat.

I hope it works out for you otherwise... Happy hunting.
Old 13 May 2004, 20:36   #17

Thanks again for all those tips.

I sound a bit like a small child I guess. That must be the result of being too enthousiastic.

I'll keep you informed. I assume that the combination with the 90 2-stroke yamaha is ok (and the rib is not underpowered.)
Old 13 May 2004, 20:49   #18

Town: Dublin
Boat name: ?
Make: Avon SeaRider
Length: 5.4
Engine: Mariner 115
Yes the 90 horsepower is the max recomended for that boat. Although I notice Avon are now showing a max recommended weight rather than engine size. I suppose a 90 hp 4 stroke could be well over the max weight limit. I think the the boat you are looking at is called the offshore oil type. If you go to the Avon site www.avoninflatables.co.uk you can download all the spec sheets and details for each type.
Old 14 May 2004, 01:38   #19

I think i am gonna get Daithi to check over my next boat for me he knows what he is talking about.

Our Avon is an 8.4 metre but it's grounded at the moment but hope to have her back in the water soon.

I would rather have a 5.4 sea rider hull than a 6 metre Ribtec however the engine ( if it;s a 2001 model) makes the Ribtec a good deal in theory.
Old 14 May 2004, 18:27   #20
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave
I would rather have a 5.4 sea rider hull than a 6 metre Ribtec
I'd definitely go for the 6m Ribtec. That 0.6 metre makes a lot of difference when you're looking at this size of boat!

John