Old 22 September 2009, 21:42   #1

Town: clifden
Boat name: outbound
Make: avon 6m\ osprey 6,25
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard suzi df140
avon 6m searider, help

just joined t forums and have many questions ,.first of all i love ribs.all t years that i owned ribs i always wanted an avon 6m searider, having used t sr4 and used many 5.4 and owned a 5.4 i thought surely t 6 would be t business. finally t situtation arose and i got t useof a 6m with a 150 yam 4 stroke. t dissappointment was beyond belief. this boat just did not handle ,it was terrible, a dry boat but drove like a roller coaster. imoved t engine up , down ,back and over all useless only a fish box of sand would put her under some control, but that seemed counter productive lpg andstuff like that. i removed t 150 and put on a suzi df140 now she ran different,but still this boats really a pig. i know there tuff but i can tell you for me it ends there. dead flat water trim up she runs well any little chop its trim down ,fall 2 t left and bang bang bang. does anybody know more about these boats and able 2 help or is it a case of t silk purse sows ear.also ran a viper 6.25 with a yam f100 super handler. perfection really but i be drier in t ocean. looking foreword 2 some replies. thanks nan-ber
Old 22 September 2009, 22:00   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
How much do you want for your Yam 150?
Old 22 September 2009, 22:20   #3

it aint looking good on t searider questions, but sorry t yam was sold 2 weeks before t owners 225 ficht exploded.now he cant get a 150. typical.
Old 22 September 2009, 22:26   #4

A couple of guys on here have run 6m Seariders, so you'll probably get a response, if you hang around a little while. They were originally intended to run with twin outboards, so I wonder whether there was a balance issue running her on a single, which may have caused the handling problems? Is it running an extra long outboard? Where is the cav plate relative to the underside of the hull?

Sorry to answer your questions with more questions, but some more info on set-up should help.
Old 22 September 2009, 23:02   #5
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan-ber View Post
225 ficht exploded.
Thats an everyday occurrence for a evinrude ficht.

James
Old 23 September 2009, 08:03   #6

cheers downhilldai. a friend of mine has one with twins and she does t same.tends 2 porpoise and roll 2 t left, personally i think t hull is at fault. i run t cav plate level with t hull but also tried it a bolt hole higher with little difference, i now have a set of dole fins on, my 1st set in 22 years of boating and i really dont see any improvement, hopefully we ll get some use full info here. keep watching.
Old 23 September 2009, 11:16   #7

One of the South West toob makers had a SR6 with a DF140, which he sold around a year ago. I think it was Ribraff? He may be able to provide some input.
Old 23 September 2009, 12:13   #8
exspyrd trayd membir

Town: inn wiliks hed
Make: Redbay 6.5
Engine: Twin Etec 90hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I think it was Ribraff?
i noe orl dem devun hilbillillys luk de saim butt i fink itt woz de uvver nobbur mr. att

Quote:
. i run t cav plate level with t hull
arr yew shewer yew aynt fromm yawksher
Old 23 September 2009, 12:38   #9

Town: Courtown
Boat name: Patches
Make: Avon
Engine: Outboard, 75hp x2
Howya fella i have an sr6 with twin mariner 75 two strokes, i totally love the thing she is the business, i havent come acoss a sea it cant handle comfortably yet, i can get the leaning at high speeds when trimmed too low like way too low . if i trim up just a tiny bit this is solved straight away . it also depends how she is loaded in relation to aftermarket gear e.g. seats and stuff. i have never seen one with a single engine . anything else let me know. hope this helps.

Cheers
+353 (0) 863514977
Patches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2009, 13:02   #10

patches, hows it going. as you said t boat canhandle any sea. no probs there. just t harsh ride would kill a horse. it may be t single engine set up. but like wise trim 2 low and she ll roll left a touch up runs sound but any chop and its bow up and wont run level.standard sewting bar an 80 lt tank under t seat and i always keep t weight foreword. cruising is bruising in this baby. downhillda, how d you find t osprey. is she wet on t beam. mine is good in rough but power shower would be jealous.
Old 23 September 2009, 13:08   #11

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
I have a SR6 with a 1983 150hp Evinrude, standard (24in) shaft with a 12inch setback plate, compression runnig about 110psi. Empty the boat does have a tendency to porpoise. This was somewhat reduced when we carry our dive gear, it is all placed in the bow. I also noticed a 5mph increase with the addition of the dolphin and the porpoising also seemed to diminish. Top speed loaded 45mph at 4k RPM WOT.

On another note I have found an 2001 Evinrude 150hp Ficht that I was considering purchasing. Am I hearing that I should pass it over?

Jeff
Old 23 September 2009, 13:54   #12

Quote:
downhillda, how d you find t osprey.
I try to remember where I left it.
Old 23 September 2009, 14:14   #13

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I try to remember where I left it.
I found one in my garage this morning.
Old 23 September 2009, 18:10   #14

t b.thanks 4 t input.whats t 12 inch plate you have. a word on t ficht, is k i s s. as in keep it simple st---d. these do not work. i live in a small area a friend got one of these against my advice. it was a 225, 50 hours on a set of plugs, he only used it himself and it was looked after , it still blew up , 2 pistons 1 liner all 4 no reason. he has since bought a 98 200 merc 4 1800 euro, and is delighted , well at least it runs and cheap 2 buy. if you want comfort either a suzi or a yam 4 stroke or stick 2 what you have if its running, may be sore on fuel but they are a tuff engine. no ficht or e tec all i hear are horror stories. keep in touch.
Old 23 September 2009, 19:15   #15

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I dont know if this would make any difference but i was told that due to the transome angle being more verticle than some boats it stops the outboard from being able to have the desired trim effect and years ago it was common practise to have a tramsome plate wedge shaped to kick the prop end in further.It was an old seadog who use to test trail ribs told me
Old 23 September 2009, 21:09   #16

cheers peter. have heard that before. but again its all experiments and im in t real wild west and stuff like that has 2 be hand made . there s alot of dont knows. maybe all work with no answers and i have plenty of that already. hows t pacific now thats a tuff rib but i love outboards
Old 24 September 2009, 12:24   #17

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
Went home and removed my trim stop rod to see if that extra inch may make a difference next time out. It was in the last set of holes closest to the transom.

Anyone have an opinion if this is a good idea or not? It seems every other boat I have had, I have left the pin in at some position. But the idea on the transom angle interreges me. I removed it completely because it looks as if there are some stop(or resting) pads molded into the casting of the unit.

Jeff
Old 24 September 2009, 12:27   #18

Town: Dartmouth
Boat name: TIDEL III
Make: AVON SEARIDER
how much offset have you got my 6mtr searider handled very well with a single suzuki 140 fourstroke ,cavitation plate 30mm up from base of transom ,40mm offset if i remember rightly .console was quite well forward ,standard location from avon who had no idea where to mount the engine as they had only fitted twin 90s
Old 24 September 2009, 19:29   #19

paul, engine is centre, cav plate is level with bottom of hull. will have 2 redrill 2 lift. will try that , if your happy with your set up. what prop size you running. mine is a 19 x 14 and i think its a bit much, with 2 adults shes hard 2 lift in a heavy sea state it takes a lot of throttle. console is standard avon.
Old 24 September 2009, 19:59   #20

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
I have pm,d you the pac,s doing fine.i did however have the chance to drive a Hallmatic made 24 with twin 200hp mercury 2 strokes.I am still on cloud nine