Old 14 March 2004, 11:21   #1

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 suzuki
Antifoul procedure

I know there has been a recent thread on this subject and all the info was taken on board.
I have spoken with 2 companies and the more experienced one have said that there is no need to apply a primer. They rub the hull back and apply International Ultra. I am concerned that without a primer, the result will be more work for me later. Has anyone any experience of this application ?
I want to do the job the correct way, so any guideance would be appreciated.
Old 14 March 2004, 11:34   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Peter, I've received the same advice from a reputable source, but can't verify it personally.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2004, 12:44   #3
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
We use both International Ultra and Trilux. I have found that if you do not use primer the paint tends to not stick an rubs off by the end of the year.
Old 14 March 2004, 13:10   #4

Town: Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Pendragon
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 suzuki
Thanks.
To do the best job possible, what do you recommend I do ?

I have been told to use a 2 pack primer then Blakes hard Race Antifoul x 2. Is this as good as it gets?
Old 14 March 2004, 16:42   #5
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Persnoally I would use International Trilux. It is a non copper based antifoul which is safe to on aluminium. Plus it gives excellent anti-foul properties. We've had boats that come out of the marina after a year with nothing more than a green slim on the hull.

First key the hull with some wet n dry. Then apply 1 or 2 coats of International primocon (may not be spelled right). Once dry add two coats of Trilux and your set for the year.

Bear in mind you will be paying £80 for 2.5ltr of Trilux
Old 16 March 2004, 15:52   #6

Town: West Wickham
Boat name: Aries IV
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 250
MMSI: 235036477
International Trilux

I think this was the "new improved" version of MPX that was released 2-3 years ago.

I used this and Interspeed (in its various guises) over the 14 years that I owned my last boat "Aries II" (non-RIB, I'm afraid).

Tue - You certainly wouldn't get away with just "green slime" if you moored your boat on the Hamble! Even Interspeed Ultra (2 coats of the stuff) couldn't really cope with the nasty crustations that live on that river.

Having said this, I did used to paint the "boot top" (apologies if this is a "yachtie" expression - I am not a "raggie") with Trilux but I frequently cleaned it with a nylon scratchy pad, so I had probably rubbed most of the paint off before the end of the season.

I don't really think that Trilux was that great for the sterndrive either, as the paint had a job to stay "stuck" for very long. But there's not a great deal to choose from these days.

If you decide to use Interspeed, do make sure that you leave a gap (I think 1" is recommended by those who are supposed to know) around the o/b bracket or other such mounting, as Ultra will attack the aluminium. Well worth keeping a close watch on the anodes too!

I did strip the paint right back to the gelcoat once but I really can't remember if I primed the hull before antifouling. I did epoxy it though (6 coats - preventative reasons), so I might have used this as the base. Sorry - Not much help, I guess!

Happy painting!

Chris.