Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 21 July 2012, 13:55   #1

Town: london
Length: 5m +
Advice on Rib/Engine combination

Hello all I am new here and after some advice on what to buy...

My budget is £20-30k for all in for a Rib to keep on a Greek island.

I would like to be able to get into small beaches that could be rocky for general day trips. To go around the island would be about 80 miles so want to do that now and then. It does get choppy so needs to cope with 7 Beaufort or so.
How big a RIB and what size engine should I look for???

What sort of other extras like safety, radio, trailer etc should I factor into my budget. I intend to go to Southampton boat show in September and check out stuff then for a purchase in the new year.

Sorry for the beginner questions here but I am from a sailing background so don't know much in this area.

Any advise welcome!!!
Old 21 July 2012, 14:09   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Well... given the budget I'd either be looking for something 2nd hand that's big enough to anchor off a beach and carry a tender, or something new at around 5.8-6.5m,but you're still going to have to get ashore somehow.Bear in mind anywhere rocky is as much a no-no in a rib as it is a yacht, it's just that you get a bit better view of what you're about to hit

Given that you want to go 80 miles in one go, I'd be looking at the maximum recommended engine size for the hull as well.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 14:30   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
There are plenty of RIBs that will do all you need, but the best choice really depends on how you are going to operate and what the local facilities are like. If it's choppy or you're going a long distance you'll generally find that bigger is better, but that may not be the case when it comes to launching, beaching or fuelling.

Do you plan to keep the RIB on a mooring or a trailer? If on a trailer, what is the slipway like and what launch vehicle will be available?

What's the fuel availability like on your Greek island? Are petrol or diesel equally available?Can you get either on the quayside?
Old 21 July 2012, 14:40   #4

I would prefer not to carry a tender and there are sandy beaches around. Silly question maybe but, couldn't I beach a rib of this size or get fairly close to a sandy beach? What sort of draft am I looking at with that size Rib/engine? I do have a sea kayak and could throw that on for a camping trip...

Wouldn't I get 80 miles in a full tank at this size or carry some jerry cans?

Should I maybe look for something smaller that can be beached and then could trailer it to the other side of the island maybe?
Old 21 July 2012, 14:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
There are plenty of RIBs that will do all you need, but the best choice really depends on how you are going to operate and what the local facilities are like. If it's choppy or you're going a long distance you'll generally find that bigger is better, but that may not be the case when it comes to launching, beaching or fuelling.

Do you plan to keep the RIB on a mooring or a trailer? If on a trailer, what is the slipway like and what launch vehicle will be available?
There is a local harbour and someone that can maintain it over winter and then launch it when needed. So I would need a trailer and if I to can take it somewhere else.

What's the fuel availability like on your Greek island? Are petrol or diesel equally available?Can you get either on the quayside?
I'm sure both would be available.

Thanks.
Old 21 July 2012, 16:05   #6

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
[QUOTE=rib123;477308]
Wouldn't I get 80 miles in a full tank at this size or carry some jerry cans?

QUOTE]

All depends on size of tank/boat/engine a 7.5m rib with a 200hp engine & 90l tank, would just about make it in good conditions if you were steady on the throttle. A 5m boat with a 90hp & 90l tank would do it easily. It all depends on what you finish up with. Jerry cans are ok, plastic last longer in contact with seawater & are more boat friendly. If you are buying locally rather than importing, I'd look at what is available first, then ask for opinions on specific combos that are up for sale. If you are importing from the UK, the worlds your lobster with 20grand in your pocket.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 16:42   #7

Ok thanks all. I've had a look at some models from Zodiac 550 and Ribcraft 5.3. There doesn't seem info on draught... With this type of RIB approx what would that be? Would it be feasible to pull the engine up and beach on sand? Or would you guys recommend anchor and jump in!
Old 22 July 2012, 06:40   #8

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rib123 View Post
Ok thanks all. I've had a look at some models from Zodiac 550 and Ribcraft 5.3. There doesn't seem info on draught... With this type of RIB approx what would that be? Would it be feasible to pull the engine up and beach on sand? Or would you guys recommend anchor and jump in!
A lot will depend on the type of sandy beach you are looking to put onto...

If it gradually shallows then you will struggle to get close to the shore however if it falls away quite quickly then you will find it is possible to nose the rib gently onto the sand with the engine running and tilted up, then when everyone has jumped off you can easily back away a few meters and throw out an anchor. I have done this is a 6.5meter with no problem. However when there is big surf (+2 feet) forget it, things could very quickly go wrong.

Most 5-7 meter Ribs have a draft of less than half a meter if you dont include the leg of the outboard and are easily beachable.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote