Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 30 January 2012, 15:07   #21

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
I recently bought a second hand rib privately & the price advertised was very good I did try & knock him down & got a small amount off but it was very keenly priced in the first place & I would have paid the asking price in all probability!
I hate people asking me my best price & get it all the time at work, telling me they can get it cheaper else where, well if you can why are you not buying from them??
But then it is nice to get the chance to match a genuine price!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 15:19   #22

Town: Plymouth
I get your point and as a general basis I think we are in agreement. I still don't see your logic though in saying regardless of asking price if you don't get a discount you'll walk away - that's a bit foolish IMHO.

Regardless if it's a used car, house, bike or boat if it's priced right I just don't see the point in walking away if no discount is given! As a seller I'd let you walk, especially if I knew the price was already at a price you could not find elsewhere.

Lets say you see a boat for sale worth £20,000. They want a quick sale so market it for £16,000 (for whatever reason, either to get quick sale, or to avoid the hassle of negotiation etc). Your saving £4,000. Are you seriously saying you'd walk away from that saving if the seller refused to drop further on the asking price ? Then what would you do, go find another same spec/value boat up at £20,000 and hopefully drop him by 10% ? Your 2k worse off all because of principle ?

I've marketed boats both ways. High asking then dropping a bit and also very realistic price with very little movement. I prefer the latter. I've never been stuck with a boat once marketed, for any more than 7 days including brokerage. Most sell within 72 hours doing it my way. As you say though each to their own.

This from somebody who is as tight as they come by the way. I hate spending money. I always ask for discount, even to the point it embarrasses the other half. She now refuses to go shopping with me but when all is said and done if I know it's a good deal I take it even if it looks like I've "lost" the battle!

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 30 January 2012, 15:38   #23
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP
yes - it does get embarrassing asking for a discount in Aldi or buying petrol !
Old 30 January 2012, 15:39   #24

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
A great thread getting in to the psyche of boaters.

I have a theory for both buying and selling. I dont look at stuff I wont even enquire unless I would be willing to pay the full asking price(assuming things are in the condition etc as described, likewise If I sell stuff I think the buyer knows what full price is so I hope is willing to pay that .

However much like others I always ask for something off or a sweetner to the deal when buying, if you do it the right way the seller wont be offended and whats the worst that can happen - they can only say no !

As long as both parties realise its never personal and dont take personal offence its part of the fun.

Both parties are chasing the same thing in a deal - a fair price they can live with . Of course there are alway some parties who are looking to make an unfair killing.
Old 30 January 2012, 16:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR
yes - it does get embarrassing asking for a discount in Aldi or buying petrol !
Not for me it doesn't. I got 2p off my fuel the other day. Next time I'm going 10p over, well they did say every little helps

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 30 January 2012, 16:23   #26

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Not for me it doesn't. I got 2p off my fuel the other day. Next time I'm going 10p over, well they did say every little helps

You sure your not from Yorkshire?
Old 30 January 2012, 16:24   #27
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
surprisingly I got 2p of my petrol the other day too, I got £60.02 handed over 4 £20 notes and got one returned...

Tip don't use credit card ! it dont work! I would start at 5p though next lol

S.
Old 30 January 2012, 16:30   #28

The last time I handed over 3 notes they guy checked every one of them. Fair enough I thought, when he gave me a £10 note back as change I asked to borrow his pen and checked that too.

I think that upset him a little,

Does that sound like a Yorkshire man ?

Old 30 January 2012, 16:34   #29
RIBnet Supporter

Quite a few of my clients haggle a bit (or a lot). If they are pleasant about it then I go along with it and we cut a deal. If they are nasty then I cut them loose - life's too short to listen to too much crap.

Over here, boats tend to be seriously overpriced on the used market. However, we all know that there's a bit of wriggle room built into the price to allow for a discount. So you'd be mad not to try an offer here. Be nice about it. If the boat is £15k, tell them it's a nice boat, that you just sold your old one for £11k, you've got another £2k in the bank and the boat needs a grand spent on it to get it ready to use, so £13k in cash today matey or I'll go have a think about it while I look at another boat in the next county and here's me mobie number anyway....

Mostly, private sellers HATE the selling process, so a quick sale at a non-insulting price may be eagerly accepted - IF YOU ARE NICE
Old 30 January 2012, 16:42   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk
Quite a few of my clients haggle a bit (or a lot). If they are pleasant about it then I go along with it and we cut a deal. If they are nasty then I cut them loose - life's too short to listen to too much crap.

Over here, boats tend to be seriously overpriced on the used market. However, we all know that there's a bit of wriggle room built into the price to allow for a discount. So you'd be mad to to try an offer here. Be nice about it. If the boat is £15k, tell them it's a nice boat, that you just sold your old one for £11k, you've got another £2k in the bank and the boat needs a grand spent on it to get it ready to use, so £13k in cash today matey or I'll go have a think about it while I look at another boat in the next county and here's me mobie number anyway....

Mostly, private sellers HATE the selling process, so a quick sale at a non-insulting price may be eagerly accepted - IF YOU ARE NICE
Well said. Hear here!

Old 30 January 2012, 17:20   #31

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Obviously if priced at 15k and all other similar boats are 20k, it's a different scenario.

However if you're looking at any depreciating asset with running costs, that is priced around others in the market, I stand by buying lower than asking price, say 5%. I would walk as I'd know there are others.

If it is 15% lower than the others, there's something wrong with it or they're in financial trouble, but I'd be very wary buying something priced so far off unless I knew them.
Old 30 January 2012, 17:35   #32

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Obviously if priced at 15k and all other similar boats are 20k, it's a different scenario.
A bit late for caveats. You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
I just don't see the advertised price of any good on a second hand market as the price that I'd pay.
Old 30 January 2012, 17:45   #33

Still didn't say I'd pay it! Just a different scenario if it's genuine and he's in real trouble, "£14500 cash now, it's yours and the boats gone, deal?"
Old 30 January 2012, 17:47   #34

Either way, I don't even have £14500. £50?
Old 30 January 2012, 17:54   #35

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I get quite a few offers on vehicles with the comment: 'that's all it's worth to me'.

I have others that say they will be round with £ x amount even when I say they will be taking the money back with them because I won't be accepting that amount. Sometimes they even get quite offended.

People can be strange, and has been said sometimes you get on with a customer and can be more amicable. Others can be down right bloody arrogant, so much so that you don't even want to deal with them at any price!
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 18:32   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
Others can be down right bloody arrogant, so much so that you don't even want to deal with them at any price!
I know a guy who recently rolled his boat back into the shed rather than sell it at the provisionally agreed price for this very reason.
Old 30 January 2012, 18:52   #37

Town: Lancs
Boat name: Beretta
Make: Ballistic
Engine: 175hp e-tec
MMSI: 235035778
RIBase
Been a very good read - Thanks for all your input.

The reason why I asked this question. I am thinking of upgrading to a larger boat, and would like something like a 6.5 with a 175ish, and I was looking at £20-£25k but now I have worked out my money a little better and I will only have £15-20k
https://www.facebook.com/rib.beretta/
SteveHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 19:05   #38

Sell you ours for £40k. Though I may give you £5k cash back and 5% off if you have cash. Plus a further £150 if I like you.
Old 30 January 2012, 20:08   #39

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai

I know a guy who recently rolled his boat back into the shed rather than sell it at the provisionally agreed price for this very reason.
I quite often tell no-shows and Messers not to bother calling again.
I'll be there in an hour does not mean I won't show up today , i will ignore your calls and then i will ring back a few days later expecting you to be civil to me.

Tossers.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2012, 23:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizm View Post
I quite often tell no-shows and Messers not to bother calling again.
I'll be there in an hour does not mean I won't show up today , i will ignore your calls and then i will ring back a few days later expecting you to be civil to me.

Tossers.
In this case, they were just about at the point of counting out the readies, when the prospective buyer started to act the tw@t, so my pal told him the sale was off and asked him to leave.

I'd love to have been there.