Old 12 March 2024, 11:43   #1

Town: Athens
Boat name: Okialos
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: OUtboard
RIBase
About Zodiac Hurricane 630

Hi all! I am about to buy a used Hurricane 630 with an 200hp outboard. Does anyone has experience with that boat? As I read they are very capable boats specialy in the rough, but someone just told me that their ride is not dry at all. Since it is going to be used as a family rib, should I avoid it? Thanks all!
Old 19 March 2024, 10:34   #2

RIBase
Nobody?
Old 22 March 2024, 05:11   #3

Town: San Diego
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard, Diesel
Hi George,

The hurricane 6m line of boats are very similar to the 7m line. They are night and day different from the 5m line. I’m more partial to 7m and larger but the 6m is a great boat as well. The fact that it’s just a bit more compact than the 7m tends to help out with storage and trailering.

Ok, that being said. Every hurricane out there takes on water when the winds are strong and the seas are coming at you. The question you need to be asking yourself is… on days when the weather is rough, should I be taking my family out in the first place.. I can speak from experience that in 25-30kn winds and 4-6’ seas, my wife and kids were soaked to the bone and were not happy boaters… I was as well but nobody cares about me being soaked.

BUT!!!!! The hurricane WILL ALWAYS get you home!! I call it the 4X4 of the ocean. It can climb any wave and maneuver you through anything that comes its way. A rogue wave can crash over the boat and you don’t have to worry about it sinking… but you do have to worry about getting ripped out.

On calm days the hurricane line are super fun and dry boats.

Few questions for you here:
The outboard is a single 200. Does the boat have a bracket, or is it bolted direct to the transom?
What model is the outboard?
How old is the outboard?
How many hours?
Where is the console located (forward, midship or back aft)?
What year is the boat?
What year are the tubes?
What condition do the tubes appear to be in?
Are these zodiac Hypalon tubes or wing polyurethane tubes?
What’s the seating arrangement look like?
How’s the bilge look??
Have you completed a full mechanical once over - assuming you’re knowledgeable here and can turn some wrenches?
Is the keel of the hull in good order or has it been beached or beat up on rocks?
Most keels are direct from the mold. Some keels are actually rubber or even stainless steel. You’ll know simply by looking at it.

Power wise, a single 200 will be okay. It won’t take the boat anywhere near its limits though. Twin 135’s would be better down the road if you’re open to re-powering. Also, the extra engine is just a bit of security if one goes down. But as we all know, more motors means more cost when it comes time to service them.

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I’ll send you some videos of both good days, and bad ones in all of ours. I just can’t seem to figure out how to share them here.
Old 22 March 2024, 10:37   #4

RIBase
Thank you for the extensive answer. Of course I have no reason to go out with the family in bad weather, I've just been told that this particular model splashes even at 3bf, which can get annoying over long distances. This is a 1999 boat that was originally designed for outboard use and has a stainless bracket. She previously had 2 X 115 2 stroke engines which were replaced by a 200hp Yamaha built in 2022. The boat has been in storage for many years and for the last 5 has been operated as a dive boat. I will also pm you my Email. If you want I can send you photos and let me know what you think. Thank you very much for the help!!

Tags
zodiac