Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 09 September 2023, 10:50   #1

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
12 months after Restoration..what has lasted.

Just over 12 months ago I finished the restoration of my 1980's Tornado and here is what has and hasn't held up.

So let's take it as a given that the tubes are still like new and I'm still thrilled with the Job that the boys at Xs/ribrutbe uk did.

I chose to wrap the console in gloss black vinyl and the dash panel, I covered in high quality Carbon affect vinyl and I'm pleased to report both are holding up really well and a quick wash down and it looks great.

The upholstery still looks new.

I put rubber flooring down ( the penny style) and that too is holding up really well and at around £80 for a 7 meter roll good value too. As a bonus it washes down easy and is resistant to oil and petrol.

The switch panel, I'm afraid to report has stood up to its cheap Chinese build quality reputation. At the beginning of the season not a single switch on the 6 gang panel worked. Having got a good soaking going around St Davids Head it turns out that they are neither water or salt resistant. So I binned it right! Nope I popped the switches out and cleaned the springs and brass connectors and sprayed them with wd40 and they all work again...if I get another season out of them I will be happy.

Cheap Chinese Nav lights and horn....still in good working order.

Selva Compass.....is in bit's hanging off the dash...for a company that has a decent reputation for what they do ,I was most disappointed with the quality of materials.

Danforth anchor from boatworld....still looks good and the galvanise is holding up well, including the chain.

The Garmin chartplotter that I purchased used right back at the beginning of purchase the boat, is not suitable for my use. First off the screen is too dull and too small and 2nd It’s too difficult to use. It would be okay in a cabin boat but not great in an open helm....to be fair it is very old 451s.
But I will purchase a replacement at Sbs next weekend.

The Standard Horizon vhf is still perfect.

Ducksback Cover. I didn't expect much from this at a cost of around £90 and fully expected to have the straps to rip off in the first puff of wind and I expected the fabric to rip, but im happy to report it is holding up really well and it's far exceeded my expectations. When I ordered it I purchased the wrong size (far too big) as according to the ducksback size quide I had to go for longer cover to get the right size beam width ( you have to take into account the A frame and console frame) so I think the size quide is a bit out. The happy accident of all this is the cover goes over the whole boat and trailer, it goes over the hitch and winch at the front and over the top of the outboard at the rear...perfect.

The large square plastic hatch cover is doing a great job on the front of the console and as yet no water has got by the seal.

The crewsaver automatic life jackets are great too....very comfortable to wear and they do work...as tested when My Son threw me my jacket and I missed. Grrr £40 tp recharge.

So in the perfect situation I would have purchased the best quality of everything, but as those of you know that restoration costs can soon get out of hand...hence why you see so many unfinished projects for sale. So some of the Stuff I know I will have to replace and the 2nd time around I will get the good stuff.

This winter my plan is to build an anchor locker....just to tidy up the bow and get new brackets made for the backrest frame as my original plan was to allow the backrest to fold flat to create a bathing pad .

The plotter/ fishfinder is on my shopping list at The Southampton boat show.

The Old two stroke outboard ( Mariner 75hp 1987) is running well and as I know I feel I know it well, as I went through it in the winter of 2020 I feel I want to keep it as long as it is reliable...and so far it's been great. But long term a newer fuel Injected four stroke outboard will be added but not just yet ( prices are still mental.))

I thoroughly enjoyed my rebuild and I'm pretty proud of my first boat restoration...not perfect granted but happy.....yet I find myself looking at projects on ebay....what's that all about....I know I will never get out what I put into my build, am I mad or has anyone else gone through this?
All the best Foxy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230909_103309.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	143571   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230909_103229.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	143572   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230909_103114.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	143573   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230629_172824.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	143574  
Old 09 September 2023, 16:29   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Intetesting thread.

Blue Sea or Carling for electrical switches, you get what you pay for and you really can't afford to be let down, so its worth the money in my book.

For the compass, try Osculati next. I've got stainless 316 navigation lights and quality is good.
Old 09 September 2023, 16:43   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Boat name: Wakey
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner 75 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Intetesting thread.

Blue Sea or Carling for electrical switches, you get what you pay for and you really can't afford to be let down, so its worth the money in my book.

For the compass, try Osculati next. I've got stainless 316 navigation lights and quality is good.
As I have proved lol. I will replace them with something more proven. I would love to make the switch gear like Harry Dwyer did on Goodwin but I have neither the money or inclination.

Going to see if I can't pick up new compass in Southampton.