Old 01 October 2014, 12:28   #1

Town: Panama
Boat name: Bad waters
Make: Novurania
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard
Novurania 550 DL in Panama

Hi all,

I just purchased a 550 DL Novurania. The boat will be used to hop around islands in the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean.

It is of my understanding that Novurania of America used to set these boats up with twin 60 hp at the factory. I am considering the new F70's by Yamaha. The max suggested HP is 115. However, those new Yamaha's weigh only 257 lbs. They are just as light as other manufacturer's 60 hp models.

Althought the boat is a Class C it will see some light offshore activities. Is there something I should consider for the twin 70 hp Yamaha setup?

Thanks!
Old 01 October 2014, 14:16   #2

My fixer upper, she has a busted front chamber. I will be cutting that tube and installing a new one next month:

The goal is something like this:

Old 01 October 2014, 15:07   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Twin 70's will yield the equivalent of a single of about 100 maybe 110 hp, so you should be fine in that regard. Watch the max engine weight (if they have it listed), and you should be fine.

jky
Old 01 October 2014, 15:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Twin 70's will yield the equivalent of a single of about 100 maybe 110 hp, so you should be fine in that regard. Watch the max engine weight (if they have it listed), and you should be fine.

jky
Thanks!

I have not found any info on max weight. Typical 115 four stroke is around 400 lbs. This setup will be at 514 lbs.

I also have access to a single 115 Yamaha Tuna Special (E 115 AETL), those are the old style 2 stroke carburated simple engines found on tuna speed boats. It weighs around 338 lbs. They are not sold in most developed countries due to the emissions.

I love 2 strokes but the range with a 25 galon tank on the 115 Tuna Special will not be as good as with the twin 4 strokes. Also, I can avoid the premix and listen to some music while I cruise.

The 115 Tuna's are bullet proof, they start them dry as they launch the speedboats running to match the main vessel's speed. They drop them in freefall too!

I'm at a point where I need to make a decision soon. Any experecience with any of these engines or any other input is apprecieted.

Basically its 115 2 stroke + kicker (carburated, no DI) vs twin 70 4 strokes ... redundancy is key as their is no Sea Tow or other rescue service in our waters ...
Old 01 October 2014, 23:08   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
The European guys tend to run the larger 2-strokes more than we do in the US. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly.

jky