Old 14 May 2013, 21:44   #1

Norfolk Newbie

Hey guys,

I have recently decided to buy a RIB. I have wanted a boat for years and years and never got round to getting one. I hired one when on holiday in Greece and had a blast.

So someone I know has offered me a 90hp, 6m rib that used to belong to his sailing club.

I have completed powerboat level 2 but it was a very long time ago.

So many questions for you guys!

Firstly if anyone has any info for what I need to launch in Norfolk (I have only leaved here 6 months). Or knows any good places to launch I'd love to hear from you.

LandyDave
Old 14 May 2013, 22:01   #2

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Mortston near Blakeney makes a great day out. You only have a four-ish hour window of oppertunity (2 hours before and 2 hours after HW) but take a picnic and head over to Blakeney point. Head a bit further round the corner and you'll see lots of seals sun bathing on the beach. Google "Norfolk etc" and you'll find the details of the sea school there - use their postcode to find the slip and carpark.

Southwold makes a nice place to head for lunch. Launch at Yarmouth next to the lifeboat station or Lowestoft at Oulton Broad near "Pets Corner" (involves paying £10 or so to go through the lock to get out to sea but a decent slipway and loads of parking). Tie up and head to The Ship on the quayside for lunch. Alternatively there's a couple of resonable slips here. It's only a half hour potter North to Lowestoft where lunch and a mooring can be found at the Royal Norfolk & Suffolk YC.

Launching is also possible at Sea Palling off the beach - google Beach Rock leisure - they will launch you with their tractor for a few quid. From here you can head down to Yarmouth or Lowestoft.

Another favourite trip of mine was to launch on the opposite side of the river to The Ferry pub at Horning (slip is at the far end of the Broads Authority carpark for Cockshoot Broad, near Woodbastwick). From here you can potter up the river (at 4mph!) to Wroxham, or down the river to Ranworth. Both very pleasant days out and lots of nice pubs to stop at!

If you're new to RIBs I would recommend launching at Oulton Broad for your first outing - its really easy. The others are all a bit more tricky, especially the slip next to the lifeboat station in Yarmouth as the tide runs through there quite quickly.
Old 14 May 2013, 22:03   #3

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
PS. If launching on the Broads you'll need something similar to a road tax disk for your boat, either an annual one or they do a short stay one. These can be picked up from any BA office.
Old 14 May 2013, 22:31   #4

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/norfolk-sibbing-47897.html check this thread out , some quality posts and a sterling review by siber
Old 14 May 2013, 22:40   #5

Thanks guys. Will have a look tomorrow I'm shattered.
Old 29 May 2013, 08:33   #6

Town: Lowestoft
Boat name: Spare rib
Make: Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
If you pay to go through the lock at oulton broad it covers use of the broad for the day too so no licence is needed. Also if you decide to get a short term licence either a day or a week you won't have the added expense of a boat safety certificate.