Old 15 November 2019, 11:21   #1

Town: Shrewsbury
Boat name: Lady Edna
Make: Tiger Marine 550 Pro
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard 90 hp
Newby

Hi All, I am new to the forum and completely new to ribbing. I have just bought a Tiger Marine 550 Proline, to be delivered next week, don't have a motor yet and have never actually been ribbing but need a hobby and this attracts.
Aiming to start off Looe, Cornwall. Please tell, am I supposed to have some sort of course? Qualification?
Old 15 November 2019, 11:59   #2

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Welcome to the forum! Do you have any other boating experience? It's a bold move to buy a boat without previous experience but it's a fun hobby so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

As for qualifications, you do not technically need any to go out on the water however if you don't have any previous experience, I'd strongly recommend you do the RYA powerboat level 2 as a minimum. Most insurance companies will need you to have done this, or demonstrate other experience before you will get cover, so worthwhile. Boating can be dangerous so it pays to do the course. I'd also recommend you do the short wave radio license course. It's not vital but very good and allows you to use a vhf radio for routine calls (not just emergencies). You'll also need to consider the minimum safety equipment you'll want on board. There are numerous threads on the forum about this but as a starter, a means of calling for help, fire extinguisher, life jackets (to be worn), life ring, anchor, torch/lights, first aid kit etc. Search the forum and feel free to ask questions. The combined experience ont he forum is massive!

Phil
Old 15 November 2019, 12:13   #3

Hi Phil, thanks for your response and I agree entirely.
I do want to do this responsibly. I have been tempted by opportunity to do things in an unusual (wrong?) order, I'm sure it's sortable. This is exactly the boat that I wanted with a view to harbour-hopping, bay-bouncing, bit of fishing/crabbing, swimming and joyriding.
Do they do this course online?
Gotta sort a motor out and a trailer, then I can start looking into the safety gear.
A while before any risk of getting wet.
Old 15 November 2019, 12:18   #4

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Some theory can be learnt online but there is no substitute to getting out in the wet.
The powerboat level 2 is a 2 day course, mostly on the water driving boats, with some theory. Its a really good course to learn the basics of boat handling, rules of the road etc. the radio course is classroom based but usually involves practical use of a radio. I believe you can study online but will need to sit an exam in a center and demonstrate use of a radio.

Hope this helps,

Phil
Old 15 November 2019, 12:25   #5

Cheers Phil, I'll seek out the appropriate course at a suitable venue, ideally local to Looe as I'll be taking a base there for 6 mths next year, sure to have them in Torquay.
I'll check it out, cheers.
Old 20 November 2019, 18:37   #6

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
Not much choice in Torquay, if any. You could try Torbay Sea School in Brixham, a mate did his level 2 and VHF course with them about 5 years ago.
If you're going to be based in Looe, you will be much closer to Plymouth than Torbay, and have much more choice of course providers there.
I can't recommend anyone personally, but a quick Google search of powerboat courses in Plymouth shows there are loads.
Old 20 November 2019, 20:22   #7

Thanks so much for your response. I have Googled a list of instructors and there are some in Fowey that I hope still serve, haven't managed to get an answer to calls yet.
Need to acquire a boat trailer for an 18ft RIB, is it permitted to put out a request for such? Hope so.
Old 20 November 2019, 20:35   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
There is a RIB sales section and a wanted one,

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/

and some very knowledgeable trailer guys about and some dealers who do offers on new kit for members (check current market prices also)

Buying an un- rigged boat is an unusual enrptry most people buy a ready to go rigged boat from a dealer or private seller.

Certainly worth doing some on water training and most RYA schools do it in their own vessel you can purchase instruction on your own vessel but training craft have to meet certain specifications.

Plenty of places you can do the course not too far from Shrewsbury (Menai strait for example)

Insurance is normally required to launch from a harbour or council slipway and more and more are requiring a formal qualification to launch. There are also many private slipways and beach launches around the U.K.

Do you have a suitable towing and launching vessel?
Old 20 November 2019, 20:46   #9

That's brilliant, cheers.
There is a trailer with the RIB that I've bought but it's not really up to the job, ok for moving it round the yard but might as well do it right. I found the RIB that I want and the price was right, this also happened a few months back and it got snapped up pretty quickly so I didn't hang about this time.
Menai Strait is a great idea, never considered that.
Old 20 November 2019, 21:03   #10

Sea wake are good outfit
https://www.seawakepowerboattraining.co.uk/

You can do some courses online but in person is better for me. VHF can be done online with sea voice training but exam is in person

Plenty more up that way too and plenty of places to launch and explore places like Pwllheli, Porthmadog, Caernarfon, Llandudno etc etc etc

Plenty of videos too Watch too
Old 20 November 2019, 21:09   #11

This is a really useful forum, many thanks.
The only thing that I've actually bought is the RIB, the price was right, the RIB was right.
I'm still gonna need an outboard, a Suzuki 90hp (long) was recommended at point of purchase. I've been looking, not easy to find, would it be straightforward to sub an alternative?
Old 20 November 2019, 21:51   #12

Depends how the boat is/was rigged and what it’s rated for there should be a plate on the transom giving certified engine power and weights for the design. If already rigged with Suzuki remotes and gauges may pay to stay, if not Yamaha, mariner, tohatsu, mercury and many more will offer suitable motors. Sorting out the electronics could be the biggest headache/cost as the rest of motor is self contained, just hook up steering, throttle and fuel lines (internal tank or external?) add a battery (1 or 2 depending on load etc) and off you go but this can costs hundreds of pounds on top of the motor to complete and moving 90hp motors around isn’t easy without the right gear.
A DF90A is 155kg......

You should budget for a vhf radio, chart plotter, etc if not already fitted. Compass and possibly nav lights.

Possibly Need some other gear like anchor, fender, flares (check dates and dispose of old ones) first aid kit, cover, ropes etc

Then there is personal gear, life jackets, clothing (jackets, helmets, trousers) , plb/hand held vhf if running solo.

Then the fun stuff.......towables, skis, bbq, fishing rods etc etc etc
Old 20 November 2019, 21:58   #13

There was a Suzuki 90hp on it before, somebody bought it the day before I found the boat. It does come with those guages. So can I assume that the electronics headache is avoided if I go Suzuki?
Are these motors policed in some way? As it look as tho I'll have to spend £5K+ on a motor that some shifty could just lift when I'm not looking.
Old 20 November 2019, 22:10   #14

There are some registration schemes but yes theft of an outboard is a risk and what you pay insurance for so make sure you comply with insurers requirements for locks, etc

https://marine.suzuki.co.uk/owners/c...me-by-datatag/

You would need to make sure the gauges are compatible new engines may use different protocols so you need to check the compatibility and iirc Suzuki can be tricky as they used an odd system on some older units which is no longer available or supported.
Old 20 November 2019, 22:20   #15

So, security is an issue, good locks and good insurance is the established defence, thanks.
Plus, buying Suzuki isn't a guarantee of a straightforward fit there have been developments. The boat is only 2016 so hopefully things haven't moved on too far.
Many thanks for kindly taking the time to help.
Old 20 November 2019, 22:27   #16

I think the Suzuki system changed in 2015 so if it previously had a 2015 on engine a new engine is probably ok, the engines new have 5 year warranty and are circa £9k new (or were in 2017 ) http://www.dickies.co.uk/suzuki-marine/

Also lots of scams on outboards, never pay for a motor you haven’t seen and always try and pay by credit card etc. If a private sale pay and take it away never pay for a motor upfront and wait for seller deliver!

Check on here the seller is reputable as plenty of rogue sellers trying to part you from your hard earned.

Seems even more odd selling a 3 year old motor off a 3 year old rib.......
Old 20 November 2019, 22:32   #17

Some light reading

http://www.rib.net/forum/f37/getting...0-a-80718.html

Is this the boat ?

https://www.tigermarine.com/550pl

If so max hp 115 so if a deal on a 100hp engine was found you would be fine etc.

https://www.ashmarine.co.uk/shop/onl...tboard-engine/

Oddly there is one on eBay right now......

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264532211114
Old 21 November 2019, 07:05   #18

Town: Cornwall
Boat name: Matchless
Make: Ribcraft 6.8m
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 3.4l 225 V6
MMSI: 232028056
RIBase
Try Fowey Maritime Centre in Fowey for your Powerboat Level 2 and VHF probably the closest to you in Looe. The boys at Black Dog Marine (turbodiesel on here) very well regarded and very local to Looe having formally been based on the quay. they should be able to help on all other aspects and advice
Old 21 November 2019, 12:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

Oddly there is one on eBay right now......

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F264532211114
Actually there are 2 both new but not one with no warranty one with perhaps some warranty (if it can be transferred)

So they are out there