Old 20 May 2011, 16:41   #1

Town: Beverley
Length: no boat
Newbie - Considering Revenger or Scorpian

Hi new to the site, been into hard boats in the past but leaning towards a rib now I am getting older!!!!, looking at something like a Revenger (bit expensive), scorpion, etc once was taken out in a Phantom Evo which was very impressive. My main question that new Leeway boats seem very good value for money against the rest (WHY)?. Are cougar ribs any good, which would be good as an all rounder? Scorpion, cougar. looking to go fast now and again but cruise when required.

Thanks
Old 20 May 2011, 18:26   #2

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
You really are looking at the top end of the market with that RIB manufacturer line up, with exception of Leeway.

There are plenty of RIB manufacturers that are between budget and top line models. Look at Ribcraft, Ribquest, Parker, Red Bay, Solent and Osprey but to name a few.

This list will give you better value for your money.

I would lean towards the Parkers, Ribcrafts and Osprey Vipermax.

Do a search of the RIBnet database for more information.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2011, 14:27   #3

Town: I.O.W
Boat name: Leeway
Make: leeway 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250hp = 73mph :0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron View Post
Hi new to the site, been into hard boats in the past but leaning towards a rib now I am getting older!!!!, looking at something like a Revenger (bit expensive), scorpion, etc once was taken out in a Phantom Evo which was very impressive. My main question that new Leeway boats seem very good value for money against the rest (WHY)?. Are cougar ribs any good, which would be good as an all rounder? Scorpion, cougar. looking to go fast now and again but cruise when required.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your search for a rib that will suit your needs.

I strongly advise a English designed and built rib as I have repaired many different import ribs and yes they seem good value most are not good for English waters and seem not to be built to the high standards we have here in the UK.

I advise if you get chance take a test run in a Leeway! You will not be disappointed..

good luck and welcome again
Old 24 May 2011, 15:23   #4

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieron View Post

Thanks

Having had both Scorpion and Cougar ribs they are both very good boats! You dont say if you are buying new or used or what sort of budget you are looking at .

The Cougar is a faster hull with the twin step but the Scorpion is more forgiving to the less experienced helm in my view! they are much of a muchness in terms of build but like for like, the Cougars will be cheaper than the Scorpions

There is a cracking Cougar R8 for sale on here currently which is "set your hair alight" fast or if you want to spend a little less i could be persuaded to part with our R9 (inboard diesel version of the R8) for the right money.

Get yourself out on the boats and you will feel the difference between manufacturers. if you want a look at an R9 let me know and can arrange a time!h
Old 24 May 2011, 15:38   #5

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Whatever happens, get one because you like it. Best way to figure that out is go for a burn, plenty of cruises going on, someone is bound to have a spare seat going.

....and welcome!