Old 06 January 2018, 20:15   #1

Town: Torrance
Boat name: Lynne
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, 35HP
New SoCal SIB owner with 13' 1979 Avon w/ 35HP

Hi Guys,

I'm the proud new owner of a 1979 13' ft Avon (hypalon) with removable wooden floor. It's powered by a 35HP Evinrude outboard. I'm in Torrance, CA and frequently launch out of San Pedro or Redondo Beach.

A buddy recently gifted it to me after having it in storage since about 1989. So far I've managed to get it registered (no small feat), converted a small flatbed trailer into a SIB trailer, completely rebuilt the engine after an overheating incident, rebuild the aft section of flooring with a stronger design since the original kept coming apart, and applied a few patches. I keep a bunch of photos of this project in the following google drive location. I haven't taken time to annotate the photos, but most are self-explanatory of the trailer build, engine rebuild, etc.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HBVvIaJvtYR7qpHD2

I have a decade of experience with large boats but this is my first SIB. I plan to use it for goofing off and freediving off the coast of SoCal.

The latest project is to fix a broken valve. I put a post in the SIB section regarding that.

Cheers,
Ross-O
Torrance, CA

Tags
avon, sib