Old 23 October 2020, 11:09   #1

Length: 3m +
Introduction and a first question right away :-)

Hi, I am new to the forum and would have a question to those of you with some experience right away.

I am currently considering the purchase of either a used Zodiac 360 Fastroller (built in 2016) or a new Zodiac Cadet Aero 350 (2020 model).

Any recommendations towards one or the other? I am really rather new to boating, my first impression is that the Fastroller belongs to a higher category in terms of market / target group positioning but I don't really know (yet) which features should be taken into considertation when comparing the two.

My intention is to primarily use it with a Torqueedo electric engine on one of the lakes here in Bavaria, Germany, so I guess weigth is one of the key criteria.

Thanks for any feedback and I look forward to sharing more once I've made my decision and have become a boat owner myself :-)

Stay safe!

Andreas
Old 23 October 2020, 11:13   #2

One limitation that I am not sure how to value is that the Fastroller is certified for a maximum of 10 HP while the Aero allows up to 15 HP. As written before, both would easily support the Torqueedo I am looking at for operation on our local lake, but I feel that if I ever wanted to upgrade to a stronger engine, I should probably keep as many options as possible, i.e. be able to go up to 15 HP which also is the limit here in Germany before having to get a licence.
Old 23 October 2020, 11:15   #3

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
the fastroller is quite a heavy sib and more suited to a larger powered outboard i had one with a 25hp yamaha on it was very entertaining .i believe the lighter cadet will be better suited to an electric outboard . though i would only be comfortable using it on flat inland water
Old 23 October 2020, 11:29   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
BB I think you are talking of a different SIB.... perhaps the Futura Fastroller??

The Fastroller 360 is very light at 44kg and only rated to 15hp.
Old 23 October 2020, 11:39   #5

BTW welcome to the forum Agrewing.

Those two boats are very very similar. The Aero 350 weighs 2kg less and the only real difference I can see apart from styling/minor details is that the Fastroller has a slightly deeper high pressure keel linked to the HP floor so inflates with it whereas the Aero 350 has a low pressure keel which is inflated with its own valve through a "hole" in the air floor.

In theory the Fastroller deeper/firmer keel design should provide better performance (more handling and ability in waves) but the difference is minimal.

There have been problems with the Fastroller keel design in that leakage of the hoe joining it to the floor can happen and sometimes the keel inflates off centre and is near impossible to re-align.

The Fastroller 360 and Aero 350 prices in the UK are very similar and there will be no quality difference... they are both at the lower end of the Zodiac range compared to the Classic and Futura models at twice the cost.

According to the Zodiac website both these boats are rated to 15hp maximum.
Old 23 October 2020, 13:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
the fastroller is quite a heavy sib and more suited to a larger powered outboard i had one with a 25hp yamaha on it was very entertaining .i believe the lighter cadet will be better suited to an electric outboard . though i would only be comfortable using it on flat inland water
Thank you very much for commenting on this so quickly. In fact, my impression was that the Fastroller was the more stable boat, however, the seller told me that it only supports outboard engines up to 10 HP (vs. the 15 HP that the Aero is certified for). I am reading just now that some of you said 15 HP is the correct number, which would eliminate a big part of my reluctance to go for the Fastroller.
Old 23 October 2020, 14:08   #7

Just Google both models on the Zodiac website to double check the engine ratings I've mentioned are correct.
Old 23 October 2020, 14:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Just Google both models on the Zodiac website to double check the engine ratings I've mentioned are correct.
Thank you, just did - it appears the seller confused the ratings for the Fastroller 325 and the 360.

However, my feeling is that the Aero 350 and electric Torqueedo motor are really the ideal combination from a positioning perspective and my primarily intended use on a local lake - plus I realized that on the used Fastroller I would very likely have zero warranty which for me as a beginner is probably not such a good way to go.

Thanks again to all of you who shared their views!
Old 23 October 2020, 16:41   #9

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure what the price difference will be between the 2016 boat and a new one but as you will quickly form your own opinion on what is good and bad about a boat and your needs from it, I'd be tempted to go for the 2016 one (if it's in good condition) and then you can learn your lessons on something where someone else has taken the hit on depreciation.
Old 23 October 2020, 17:23   #10

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
BB I think you are talking of a different SIB.... perhaps the Futura Fastroller??

The Fastroller 360 is very light at 44kg and only rated to 15hp.
you are correct i do apologies if i have confused the advice mine was a futura fastroller i didn't realize there was another fastroller model .op please ignore me