Old 12 July 2021, 12:49   #1

Town: Broad Haven
Make: humber
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard petrol
Hi from Pembrokeshire and advice for newbie please

Hi everyone - I have bought a 4 m Humber Rib 2008 with a Mariner 25 HP engine. The rib is bare as in nothing in it at all. I got a cockpit with it that is not installed and is just a bare unit. Want to use the rib for a bit of local exploring.I have 3 kids aged 6, 8 and 11 and was wondering about seating/ cushions . etc what options there are. What would people do? Is the cockpit with a saddle seat worth installing - what would I put in it?
Suggestions welcome - I dont want to spend a fortune on it until we know how much we will use it
Old 12 July 2021, 15:44   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Throw some bean bags on the floor to sit on safer than on the tubes until you know bear in mind fixed seating for 4 will will take a lot of room. Or inflatable camping seats
Old 12 July 2021, 20:59   #3

Thanks

Hadnt thought of that - really appreciated !
Old 13 July 2021, 05:53   #4

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
Hi Neil and Hello back from Pembrokeshire - welcome aboard!
Is your boat already wheel or tiller steered and you're considering converting it to wheel? If it's tiller steered, I might be tempted to leave it that way for a while, esp with very young kids, for two main reasons, firstly as others have said, fixed seating will take up a lot of space in such a small boat and probably more importantly, they'll all be sat in front of you where you can clearly see them.
Feel free to drop me a PM as I'm also in Pembrokeshire (Pembroke) and would be pleased to offer you some advice if you're new to this boating lark... [emoji16]
Old 13 July 2021, 09:25   #5

Hi Jon

Thanks for your offer - I am a kayaker, surfer etc but am clueless with ribs and tbh the thought of launching it worries me! It has a trailer that looks like it can bend in the middle . I should be ok reversing as I worked on a farm as a kid.
It is tiller steered the thought of everyone in front really makes sense ! . I have just bought some beanbags for the kids to sit on . We live in Broad Haven but are wondering how much it costs to leave it somewhere it can be dropped in the water . Storage space is not a problem at ours , but do you know how much the storage and launch option is -
Neil
Old 13 July 2021, 13:48   #6

Hi Neil,
If you're new to this then I can't recommend strongly enough doing your RYA PB2 course. It will boost your competence and confidence hugely. There are several schools in Pembrokeshire but make sure your going to get some experience in tiller steered boats as most use larger wheel steered ribs.
Launching and recovering a small boat like yours is pretty easy once you've got the hang of it and I'm very happy to help you out with a first trip or two also if you like (PM me).
As for for "store and launch" locations - I'm not aware of any on your part of the coast but Rudders Boatyard in Burton offer a good store and launch service which isn't hideously expensive. Would probably be good for you to get some experience on the more sheltered waters of the Haven before heading into St Brides Bay so keeping the boat at Rudders for this season might be a good option.
Sounds like you might need to have a look at that trailer though before you go far from home!

J
Old 14 July 2021, 16:52   #7

i Jon that is a really kind offer - there is nothing wrong with the trailer just someone said that it looked like it had a pivot but it seems just to be a spring loaded catch that doesnt do anything!?
I have a mate who will check the moto
Im going to do an RYA are there any places you would recommend above others?
Neil
Old 14 July 2021, 18:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilAulehla View Post
i Jon that is a really kind offer - there is nothing wrong with the trailer just someone said that it looked like it had a pivot but it seems just to be a spring loaded catch that doesnt do anything!?
I have a mate who will check the moto
Im going to do an RYA are there any places you would recommend above others?
Neil
Neil,
My son did his PB2 with Dive Pembrokeshire and reconned they were pretty good so they'd be worth a call.

If the trailer has a spring loaded catch, it is a break-back trailer - they make launching and recovering a little easier but TBH with a 4m boat you'll be fine anyway. There are a few vids on googletube of how they work