Old 26 July 2013, 20:36   #1

Town: staines
Length: 3m +
Hello, new sib owner after info on the basics

Hi, im picking up my first sib tomorrow so im after a bit of guidance and practical information.

I started out with an inflatable kayak and moved on to a Seahopper folding boat with a British Seagull outboard but have now bought a 3.5 sib with an old 15hp Yamaha outboard.

Firstly im a little confused about registering it (for the Thames) and insuring it, i will admit i never had either for the Seahopper but now i'm into the sport i want to do it properly. One example of my confusion is does the larger hp motors cost more, from what i can see it is just on overall square foot? Do i need to name it? Transfer ownership like a car?

I'm reasonably happy with my skills on the river but i would like to take this boat along the shore of the south coast (not too far out) but have no idea about safety or the boats capability. I looked at the RYA courses but they seemed too much for what i want (and too expensive).

Will it be within my capabilities to take this along the cost if i have all the equipment such as life jackets, flares, etc or do i really need expensive radio gear?

A great deal of questions i know but now the reality of having a 'proper' boat has set in it all seems very confusing and i want to be safe and legal.

Please feel free to chip in with any advice you can give me!

Thanks!!!

Ben
Old 26 July 2013, 20:49   #2

Town: London
Length: 4m +
In terms of registration for the Thames, you only need to do that on the non-tidal section. As for the non-tidal section, I believe its fairly easily (although not always cheaply) done!

Personally I'm a big fan of the RYA courses, even if only the basic PB1&2, you may or may not already have covered some of the course, but will almost certainly gain something out of it (not sure exactly how it works, but you may be able to do it in your boat).

Someone else will be able to advise better than me about taking a SIB along the south coast, but I would be tempted to advise getting a handheld VHF (although this will involve doing another course admittedly), we have a fixed VHF on our RIB and if we were venturing offshore we would invest in a handheld one too.
Old 26 July 2013, 21:19   #3

Live in Staines so i would mostly be pottering to Windsor but i love the idea of going into central London and back, is that allowed? If im Thames registered can i go into central London?

I was just surprised that the RYA courses seem to be about £400, seem to remember it was about £200 to become a SCUBA diver which was over 5 weekends...

All i want from the coast is to go from cove to cove, not cross the Channel...
Old 26 July 2013, 21:59   #4

If you're in Staines you'll need to be registered, west of Teddington Lock there is no need for registration, so if you start in Staines yes you would need to be registered, however if you launched west of the lock you could theoretically go into Central London without registering.

That said, I'd thing long and hard about that with a 3.5m SIB, it can be done, but the currents are very strong and its not an easy place to navigate with a lot of choppy water and large high speed cats creating a lot of wash all the time.

£400, that's steep!! You should be able to do a PB1&2 course for under £300, if you look around you'll find some for closer to £250 (although not in London, you'll need to go to the South Coast for that, but even in London mine was sub £300 a couple of years ago).
Old 26 July 2013, 22:17   #5

Thanks for the advice, really dont want to look a fool in central London! Think for this year i will stay in the Thames.
Old 26 July 2013, 22:18   #6

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Check the rules on the tidal Thames as things have changed in respect of regs and laws, speed limits, requirements etc. As above I'd be wary in an 11ft rubber boat!

Most of us who venture to sea will advise doing PB2 and a VHF course. Do try a search as its been discussed many a time.
Old 26 July 2013, 22:39   #7

If you want to check out the latest rules for the tidal Thames you could check out the article I wrote in Powerboat & Rib a few months back :-)

Alternatively you could just check this:

http://www.pla.co.uk/pdfs/maritime/1...s_Byelaws1.pdf

In short, don't go above 12 knots (8 before Wandsworth bridge coming from your direction).
Old 26 July 2013, 23:00   #8

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
check for sibfests ..a great way of getting out on the water ,some top chaps too
Old 27 July 2013, 06:55   #9
Administrator

Town: Brighton
As others have said, the Thames in central London is something to be treated with a good measure of respect. It's no problem with a setup like yours, and I've been through London in SIBs several times, but it's not ideal if you're inexperienced and really isn't a great place to be testing an old motor!

A much better place to go is the section between Richmond and Teddington. It's semi-tidal and doesn't require any licence. Speed limit is 8 knots, so you can go a bit faster than on the non-tidal section. Launch at River Lane in Petersham.

Lunch at the White Cross in Richmond or White Swan in Twickenham.
Old 27 July 2013, 18:34   #10

Thanks for all the advice guys. Picked up the boat today and it looks fine, motor is a tad old but its a Yamaha is it hopefully will be well made.

I'm going to have a little play on the semi-tidal section on the Thames while i figure out how to register/insure it.

Think the RYA courses will be very useful to me so i'll have a shop around for better prices.