Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 June 2021, 00:07   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Banbury
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Hello from Oxfordshire

Hello all,

I dont have a boat at present although I am actively looking, have been through various hulls throughout the years from wood to fiberglass to Aluminium. I'm now retired and moving down towards the south coast around Christchurch and looking forward to getting out with something light and manageable for exploring the area and fishing.
__________________

__________________
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 02:03   #2
Hat
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West wales
Boat name: Mannassa
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 90
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 10
Morning, welcome to the site,plenty of helpful people.
__________________

__________________
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 02:11   #3
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 819
RIBase
Welcome
__________________
You get what you settle for!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 03:34   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,777
Hi and welcome to the forum. Is something light an inflatable or a small rib on a trailer?
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 04:11   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Length: no boat
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 152
Hi welcome to the site. I am sure you will get plenty of good advice here. These below seem popular by members on here.
If looking for inflatable lighter weight set up like a sib there are lots of options but seems on my research the Elling KB 350 and the Honwave air flow range are the lightest (and potentially lighter outboard to move them along).
Followed perhaps by the Excel Volante (with seperate air floor) and then the Excel Volaire ( which I am just waiting delivery)
On the next level are your removable solid floors which most brands seem to do, or an option like a F-rib. The next is really down to trailering which in my opinion and for my use I would then be looking at a small rib rather than sib.
As with everything it might mean a compromise between weight, finance, practicality and this year in particular.....supply!
Goodluck in which ever way you go
__________________
Brinormeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 12:44   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Banbury
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Hi Fenlander,
I'm thinking along the lines of a SIB at the moment as parking space is rather tight at my partner's house, she will probably join me on most trips out so I will look at boats in the 3.8 range that's suitable for fish in the solent area.
__________________
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 12:52   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Banbury
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinormeg View Post
Hi welcome to the site. I am sure you will get plenty of good advice here. These below seem popular by members on here.
If looking for inflatable lighter weight set up like a sib there are lots of options but seems on my research the Elling KB 350 and the Honwave air flow range are the lightest (and potentially lighter outboard to move them along).
Followed perhaps by the Excel Volante (with seperate air floor) and then the Excel Volaire ( which I am just waiting delivery)
On the next level are your removable solid floors which most brands seem to do, or an option like a F-rib. The next is really down to trailering which in my opinion and for my use I would then be looking at a small rib rather than sib.
As with everything it might mean a compromise between weight, finance, practicality and this year in particular.....supply!
Goodluck in which ever way you go
Hello Brinormeg,
Thanks for your input, I have been looking at the honwave which I like the look of , but I will visit a few dealers an look at as many as I can before I make the final decision.
__________________
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 13:25   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 15HP
MMSI: 235924407
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by billc View Post
Hello Brinormeg,
Thanks for your input, I have been looking at the honwave which I like the look of , but I will visit a few dealers an look at as many as I can before I make the final decision.
Hi billic, normally I would fully agree with the way you're thinking - "I will visit a few dealers and look at as many as I can". I managed to do that at the end of the first lock down in June 2020, but even then there was very few dealers with SIBs.
Covid, Brexit, Staycations (being to hate the word!) has created a shortage of new SIBs and pushed up used prices to stupid levels. You may find it difficult to veiw SIBs at dealers as they may not have what your looking, or have any on display, or have any stock.
I would suggest you research as much as you can (the forum is a mine of information) and narrow your preferred choice down to 2 or 3 (not many SIBs are light and manageable at 3.8mtrs so it shouldn't take to much research) then contact dealers to see if there are any available.
__________________
Steve509926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2021, 14:47   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Banbury
Length: no boat
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
Hi billic, normally I would fully agree with the way you're thinking - "I will visit a few dealers and look at as many as I can". I managed to do that at the end of the first lock down in June 2020, but even then there was very few dealers with SIBs.
Covid, Brexit, Staycations (being to hate the word!) has created a shortage of new SIBs and pushed up used prices to stupid levels. You may find it difficult to veiw SIBs at dealers as they may not have what your looking, or have any on display, or have any stock.
I would suggest you research as much as you can (the forum is a mine of information) and narrow your preferred choice down to 2 or 3 (not many SIBs are light and manageable at 3.8mtrs so it shouldn't take to much research) then contact dealers to see if there are any available.
Hi Steve509926,
Yes I've noticed the covid tax on everything that floats plus a few other things. I am not in a desperate hurry as I have various building jobs to do so the remainder of this year will be for research and recce of the area and hopefully things will improve by next year.
__________________

__________________
billc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.