Old 16 August 2014, 07:49   #1

Town: Punta Kriza
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 100HP
Hello from Croatia

We just bought our 2nd RIB within one month.
The first one came from a bookkeeper type of guy. It was snow white, had lots of accessories but a lousy engine that was 4 years older than the guy said it was. We had some leverage and when I threatened to report him for tax evasion he paid back every EUR and got his boat back.

The one we have now must come from the same Chinese source: a white no-name 5.60m RIB with offset console, this time with a marvelous Yamaha F100 commissioned in 2009, 320 engine hours. This boat came with just a Garmin Fishfinder, nothing else. It looked incredibly dirty from the reddish Sahara sand we sometimes get during rain from the south.

By now I discovered the dirt is there to stay. The surface is sticky from exposure to sunlight and simply cannot be cleaned with soap, shampoo or other water based cleaners. Even paint thinner removes only some of the grime, so I probably have to paint it.....
Old 16 August 2014, 07:59   #2

Length: 3m +
Have you tried the Legendary Fairy Power Spray? Also known as Dawn Power Spray in the US and Yes Power Spray in Sweeden... Its nastier than soaps but has a good rep with some elbow grease for cleaning up gungy toobs.
Old 16 August 2014, 12:58   #3

Does the label say what the active ingredient is?
As far as I know it is not available here, at least not under the brand names you mention.
Old 16 August 2014, 13:41   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
or TFR (truck wash or Traffic Film Remover) solution?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2014, 01:17   #5

Town: St catharines
Boat name: Seafox
Make: Nautica
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin evinrude 90 ete
Back a few years ago i had a 18 foot nautica and the tubes were discolored and really weathered. Although you have to be careful, i used regular bleach, apply it to a rag and wipe the surface a few times, let it soak in for a maximum of 2 minutes and then spray wash with water, then wash again with regular soap and it turned put as white as when it was new. I recommend you use rubber gloves when working with bleach and goggles and a mask to protect your eyes and mouth.
Old 17 August 2014, 07:17   #6

Linky to MSDS

http://www.allianceonline.co.uk/prod...PowerSpray.pdf

There are sellers on fleabay who would ship to Croatia...
Old 17 August 2014, 09:47   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If the tubes have gone sticky (sounds like PVC tubes with plasticiser migration?) then it may not be something you can "clean off". I'm never a fan of painting, but preparation is always key and sticky tubes doesn't sound like what you would be aiming for.
Old 17 August 2014, 11:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
If the tubes have gone sticky (sounds like PVC tubes with plasticiser migration?) then it may not be something you can "clean off". I'm never a fan of painting, but preparation is always key and sticky tubes doesn't sound like what you would be aiming for.
I must have had a blackout when I bought it, but I concentrated on the engine after the previous experience with a Honda doing only 2700 rpm at full throttle.
Not only are the tubes sticky and dirty, there also is a leak under a strip that covers a vertical seam. The previous owner said his kids always stepped on the tube so he had it "repaired". A sloppy job with dark brown stuff protruding. I'll try Acetone or MEK to clean it and peel off the strip to see what's wrong.
Old 22 August 2014, 07:50   #9

My intentions are to restore this rib to a better-than-new condition, so I already ordered Veneziani "gummipaint" with and without anti-fouling additive. Their special thinner 8360 turns out to be the ultimate cleaner for sticky and dirty pvc.
Where I used a bit to dissolve the dark brown glue the surrounding surface became white without any effort and the stickiness disappeared like magic.

Of course this means that the surface layer gets thinner, so this is not something you should do too often.