Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23 August 2014, 14:30   #1
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: -
Make: -
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Hi from South East London UK.

Hi to ALL.

Ive had no history or has any of my family of boats.
My interest has always been on four wheels.
Currently own a Beach Buggy, an old 60's American Dodge van, Beetle, Karmann Ghia, building a traditional steel get the picture.


A few weeks ago I went on the River Thames on one of their taxi-cruise boats from Westminster to Richmond (I actually ended up at Teddington lock).
I live a five min drive from the River Thames & this was the first time I ever went on it (apart from crossing it on the Woolwich Ferry of course).
Instantly I cool would it be to park the Dodge van in somewhere like Putney, pull a small boat with a outboard out of the back of it, drop it in The Thames & cruise up the river & do some exploring

Now I do actually own a Challenger 400 Inflatable Dingy, which ive had for about 16 or 17 years I think.
Only used it a couple of times as a rowing boat, once at Camber Sands I think & once last year at Dymchurch.
I discovered a week or so ago that you can get motor mounts for Inflatable Dingys, so I unfolded my Dingy to see if it had motor mounts.
Alas......its so old that in needs the older style motor mount (the type that hooks into the two lower mountings & then uses the oar mountings as the top hooks.
Can I find one of these type of mounts new or used ?

So......bearing in mind I live in a terrace house with a teeny tiny front garden, no garage & no rear access to my enclosed garden.......Ive been limited to searching for a RIB.

This is why I joined this Forum.
I need some advise as I have absolutly NO idea what im doing to be honest ?

Im just trying to learn what all these boat types really are.
RIB I assume is "Rigid Inflatable Boat" ?
But some have solid floor, some dont, some are slatted, do they all fold away once deflated ??????
TENDER & DINGY Im starting to realise is what people just call small boats ?
Also some RIB's have a standard outboard on the back & some have a steering console.
Now Im really confused

Basically what I think I want (by searching Ebay, Gumtree, Google, Youtube, etc) is a 3-4 man size RIB (for me, the misses, one or two kids) that I can deflate & pack away to transport rather than using a trailer.
An Outboard engine that I steer manually from the back of the boat.
No idea on the HP or weather 2 or 4 stroke would be best suited ?
But i'm guessing somewhere between 2.5 & 5 HP is what I need ?

I would like to use it on the River Thames & maybe even take it down to the South East Kent beaches when the weather is calm.

I dont even know if I need a licence, insurance, permit ?
I really know nothing.
Apart from the realisation that the is a whole different part of England that Im missing out on.

Sorry for the rather HUGE introduction...........
But I want to have fun exploring, but at the same time be safe.

Any advise would be wonderful.

ALABAMA ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 10:04   #2
Bern Hanreck's Avatar
Country: UK - England
Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 882
Welcome to RIBnet

That's quite a confusing first post ! Whilst qualifications are not essential , you would be well advised to consider some basic Power Boat Training ( such as Power Boat Level II ) before you go to sea or tackle any large rivers like the Thames . Insurance will probably be desirable . Take a look at this thread....

It tackles the question of what may or may not be manageable .
Also try playing around with the search function to get lots of basic answers to basic questions .

I assume you can use your garage facilities for boat storage ? You are almost certain to need something storage-wise even if you have to hire it

Good luck . Perhaps ask one straight question at a time and replies may be more forthcoming . Bern
Bern Hanreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 11:00   #3
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Boat name: -
Make: -
Length: no boat
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Yeh I know.......
I did read it back & thought hmmm yeh a bit much.

The basics.
Yes I have garages, workshop, sheds, etc, but nothing to contain a boat or a trailer.
Hence thinking a Rib is best.
I'm thinking the thinner part of the thames & the Medway, plus can practice on Southmere lake in Thamesmead & practice launching on the launching jetty at Erith where there is hardly any traffic.
I was just confused about legalitys & different rib designs (floors mainly).
I have a Beach Buggy that.....well.....isn't really allowed on beaches.
Plus I had Gopeds which turned out to be totally illegal in the UK.
Just wanted to search out legalities, googling questions just mainly come up with loose guesses & confusing links to large boating clubs.
I might break the questions down & post separately.

ALABAMA ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 17:30   #4
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2,018
Go do the RYA powerboat level 2 course and most of your questions will be answered plus you'll have a great weekend and learn how to handle a boat and all the legalities. Cost is about £250 but will reduce the insurance cost for your boat when you get it.

I suggest a 3-4m SIB/Zodiac + 10-30 HP motor packed will fit in a large car small van, motor comes off to store (motor smaller than a wheelie bin) under 10/15hp IMO you'll loose interest after a couple of trips
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.