Old 03 June 2022, 09:18   #1

Length: 3m +
Hello all

Hi all new here and new to boating so was hoping to plug in to your wealth of knowledge and gain some advice for my problem!!

Last year I purchased a second hand Mercury Quicksilver 340 Air deck SIB and a new Tohatsu 8hp 4t outboard which my family and I have been using on the river and it has been great fun!

However, after getting the boat out of storage and putting some air in her, there seams to be an air leak around the access hole in the deck/floor for the keel valve (please see pics). It’s coming from the taped joint looks like the glue has given up. It is in a crease line when deflated.

Given the high pressure involved is a repair possible and would have to be a professional one? The cost of a new floor would be greater than the value of the boat, if I could even source one given its age. I am a hands on guy than rebuilds motorcycles amongst other hands on hobbies so I wouldn’t be afraid of having a go if I had a plan of action and the right tools/materials. I am afraid of making worse as to prevent a professional repair, if that is at all possible.

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	140738  
Old 03 June 2022, 09:30   #2

Town: Kent
Boat name: ever dry
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Yamaha 15hp 2 stroke
I think I would be tempted to give Stormsure a try there, if it doesnt fix it then nothing lost. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stormsure-C.../dp/B0025UQB60
Others will be along to offer advice shortly.
Old 03 June 2022, 09:43   #3

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm just south of Peterborough so guess not too far from you.

I wonder what's the age of your SIB? Glue does have a life and often once you find a leak there will be more to come. But lets hope your leak is just a one-off weak join.

It's a difficult location to glue. The by the book way would be to heat that whole circular seam and prise it apart with a plastic scraper then clean with MEK and re-glue with a proper inflatable boat two-part glue. Taking note to follow the very specific instructions re temperature an moisture levels.

However were it mine as Oldman2 says I'd use Stormsure/Stormseal...

https://www.roostersailing.com/produ...CABEgL9bPD_BwE

Inject it in so it is right through the width of the seam.

I have used this to repair my HP air floor and it's been fine for years despite my initial reservations.
Old 03 June 2022, 10:50   #4

Thanks Oldman2 and fenlander.

Oh yes I’ve used that stuff on damaged waders and wellies before!!

Yes it seams we are close in location, it’s a small world!

I guess the boat is 2010 ish and now you have said it I have noticed other parts of the boat where the glue has failed although only cosmetic at mo. Hope I can get a bit more life out of it as it is very tidy and well looked after. I’ll have a go with it but failing that would you advise a professional repair or is that very expensive?
Old 03 June 2022, 11:25   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
In truth best get the use out of this SIB with DIY small repairs and if you still like its concept and being on the water then sell it on at an appropriate price with faults honestly declared and move up to a better one. The cost of pro repairs not really worth it on a 12yr old SIB.

Do you go on the dyke out to the old Nene or go up to the main Nene in town?