Old 19 May 2017, 17:25   #1

Town: High Wycombe
Length: 3m +
Hello

Hello, I'm Mark from High Wycombe. Have been browsing the forum for a couple of months now and thought it was time to register and say "hello". I have just purchased a Honwave T35 for a little fun on weekends and family holidays. It will be used mostly for inshore fishing and exploring. Still yet to decide on an outboard but think that a 10hp should be plenty as my water skiing days are long gone....
Old 19 May 2017, 17:30   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Hello mark welcome I would go 15 hp have that little in reserve
Old 19 May 2017, 17:35   #3

Hello Jeff, I did consider a 15hp but they seem to jump massively in weight if you go over 10hp and our favourite holiday destination has no vehicle access to the pebble beach. I'm a little worried that the Honwave launch wheels won't be up to the job....
Old 19 May 2017, 17:52   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
10hp and 15hp 2 stroke yam is the same engine I think Mercury is the same too
I assume your looking at 4 stroke but if weight is an issue 2 stroke would be better and as Jeff says will make the boat better
Old 19 May 2017, 18:12   #5

Hello Beamishken, I did consider a 2 stroke but would prefer a four as I'd like a new or nearly new engine. You've both now got me considering a 15HP instead...Many years ago when I was young and stupid, I took a little trip out in an old 13ft fibreglass boat with a 3hp. Turns out when you're against the tide with the wind in your face a 3hp is less use than an anchor...Thankfully the wind dropped or I would of needed my passport.
Old 19 May 2017, 18:48   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
Hello Jeff, I did consider a 15hp but they seem to jump massively in weight if you go over 10hp and our favourite holiday destination has no vehicle access to the pebble beach. I'm a little worried that the Honwave launch wheels won't be up to the job....
As beamishken has said they are the same engine just slight difference to get the extra power different carb in the old days electronics I guess. now there is a price jump but worth it as you say a good tide would knock 3 hp off a 10 hp 15 will give you redundancy and you won't be flogging the engine giving better range for your tank full
Old 19 May 2017, 18:52   #7

You still find the odd almost new 2 stroke about and there was a dealer in the channel Islands selling them new and shipping to wherever you wanted.
Yamaha make a limited range of 2 strokes for commercial use but not sure if the 15hp is one of them
I remember a thread on here about the dealer in the Channel Islands shipping to the UK ,it may have been tohatsu he was selling a search in might find the thread.
If your heart is set on 4 stroke it's maybe worth checking different brands as they are getting lighter all the time it seems every time an engine range gets revamped the engines get lighter
I just can't get past a nice simple two stroke myself
Old 19 May 2017, 18:54   #8

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
You still find the odd almost new 2 stroke about and there was a dealer in the channel Islands selling them new and shipping to wherever you wanted.
Yamaha make a limited range of 2 strokes for commercial use but not sure if the 15hp is one of them
I remember a thread on here about the dealer in the Channel Islands shipping to the UK ,it may have been tohatsu he was selling a search in might find the thread.
If your heart is set on 4 stroke it's maybe worth checking different brands as they are getting lighter all the time it seems every time an engine range gets revamped the engines get lighter
I just can't get past a nice simple two stroke myself
+1 Yamaha origin
Old 19 May 2017, 19:49   #9

Did a little research on channnel island imports and it seems that only the 3.5 and 9.9 are offered. On a different note, has anyone used either of these 2 sites. " outboardmarine.co.uk"
"topmarinemotor.co.uk". Seems unlikely that you would ever get what you paid for. Both sites have the same format, no exact address and no listing with "Companies House". One of them is offering a mercury 15hp for £1019 which, according to my research is about half price..I think my money would be better spent on the horses.......
Old 19 May 2017, 20:41   #10

Yep best of luck with those geegee's usually if it sounds too good to be true it is!
It might be worth ringing the guy in the channel Islands and see if he does any other sizes.
Or I think the 9.9 tohatsu is the same engine as a 15 which might make upgrading it possible
The 9.8 is a different engine which is way lighter, it may be this engine he is offering as it's very popular due to its very light weight .I'm sure the 9.9 15 and maybe the 18 are the same block
A few years ago My pal bought a 9.9 from a well respected yamaha dealer and they upgraded it to 15hp spec and it worked out cheaper than buying a 15
I'm pretty sure you can do the same with a tohatsu
Old 19 May 2017, 21:43   #11

Town: Scotland
Boat name: African Queen
Make: Honda
Engine: Tohatsu 20hp petrol
I have A t35ae pushed by a 20hp tohatsu. Great combination but needs careful handling when using it alone.
Old 20 May 2017, 09:34   #12

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Mark welcome to the forum from another somewhat landlocked member.

As you are discovering outboard choice in the 10-15-20hp range is a bit of a minefield.

It's always important to get the most power for the weight you have to carry. Back in the days when we were all buying 2-strokes the 10/15s were the same weight so it made sense to go for the 15. Now with the 4-strokes the 15/20s are usually the same weight so you might as well go for a 20.

I've owned a Honwave T35 alloy floor and used it with a Mercury 15hp 2-stroke which I've also had on several other SIBs. Due to the Honwave design and weight I found on the T35 performance was worse than any other SIB used with this same OB. So I'd be wary of going down to a 10hp on the Honwave or you might be disappointed.

I looked into the C.Isles guy just before I bought my new Suzuki 20hp last year. By the time taxes and delivery were taken into account he wanted more for a Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke than I paid for me Suzuki 20 locally.

As others have said the Tohatsu 9.9 2-stroke is too heavy... it weighs the same as their 18hp.
Old 20 May 2017, 16:41   #13

RIBase
Suzuki 10hp 39.5 kg 15 hp 44 kg
Old 21 May 2017, 07:09   #14

Thank you to all for the advice, I've now started hunting for a good deal on a 15 - 20hp four stroke. With a couple of passengers and a boat full of fish (wishful thinking), It sounds like the 10hp lumps might not be enough. Please give me a shout if you know of anything suitable that might be for sale...