Old 16 June 2015, 02:34   #1

Town: barbados
Length: no boat
Getting a RIB

Hi to all from Barbados, now I have been offered a Aluminium Rib ($500) hull looks good inboard engine(no engine) has Mercury jet pump tubes are outer fabric and inner rubber tube
I think engine was Mercury 120 or 175 sport jet, Is this a good one to get and can you help me ID this RIB thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150504_093613.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	106091   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150504_093600.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	106092   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150519_092046-1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	106093  
Old 16 June 2015, 09:05   #2

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Say it as I see it mate, it looks like a pile of junk that will end up being a money pit for you. I would save a bit more cash and buy something newer, just my opinion not trying to offend.

JonD
Old 18 June 2015, 00:11   #3

Town: barbados
Length: no boat
Thanks for replying I am not offend, opinion are good and sometime help. Barbados is very expensive place to get on the water for people like me.
Old 18 June 2015, 00:35   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar View Post
Thanks for replying I am not offend, opinion are good and sometime help. Barbados is very expensive place to get on the water for people like me.
If thats the case try and get some local advice to the cost of getting this up and running before committing to it. Old tubes may inflate ok on land but after hitting a few wave etc might start to fail which is where you dont want things to wrong.

Just like here in Australia you are exposed to way more damaging sunlight on those old tubes. Mechanically are those parts readily available at a reasonable price, even things like steering etc on an old boat only have a certain life span. The boat does look quite old but if you love tinkering around and can do most of the work yourself things aren't quite so bad.

Make sure replacement tubes are available and how much they might cost. When I looked into a few ribs out here In Aus at about 10 years old most needed new tubes which where more than half the price of a new boat.

By the way I have an old school mate living somewhere over there who repairs sails and lives on his yacht (great lifestyle).

A rib is more costly to maintain than a regular run-about style boat and this one is at the end of its life where it needs money, at the end of that cash injection it will still be a heavy bulky boat with a limited resale value compared to an equivalent runabout style boat (non rib).

JonD

Tags
rib