Old 17 January 2024, 15:36   #1

Town: Worcestershire
Length: no boat
Engine: 20hp Outboard
Getting a new SIB

Hello everyone

This is my first post on ribnet, I have a question for the community. I have recently purchased a 20hp outboard and I am now in the process of choosing a SIB to put it on. I have brought tickets to go to boatlife in February so I can see some options in person but I also thought I would ask here and see if anyone had any recommendations, I am looking for something under 4.2m ish one candidate was the Boatworld Carbon Pro 400. I am looking for something I will be able to pack away into my cars boot with the back seats down.
Old 17 January 2024, 20:20   #2

Town: Colchester
Length: 5m +
Honwave T38 IE3. Look no further
Old 17 January 2024, 21:06   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
Hi Max & welcome.

A bit more info about who, what, where, would probably give you better suggestions from forum members. Who's going to be using it, what are you using it for and where are you planning to use it?

Obviously some members will have their particular favourite, but it may not necessarily suit your needs.

What car have you got? 4.2m with a 20hp OB and all the other gear you need takes up a lot of room.

What 20hp OB have you got? I assume it is a short shaft?
Old 17 January 2024, 22:04   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Max, welcome from me too.

I would ask the same questions as Steve as to where you'd operate the SIB from your Worcs base, what type of trips, how many folks will be involved. Which 20hp did you buy?

Very few folks do more than one or two trips with an alloy floor 4m SIB and 20hp out the back of the car before they buy a trailer to save the weight and faff.

What I would say is there's a lot to choose from at Boatworld (the dealer) and there will be one that's right for your situation. There are positives and negatives to them all but with more info we can help guide.
Old 18 January 2024, 07:54   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
It's a tricky one - that is pretty much more than anyone would regularly want to unpack- set up, launch - a heck of a faff and effort even for two people. Hence most go air floor if packing away each time (check the 'Which SIB' topic to save repeating all the same stuff) and something around 3.5m.

Bigger and especially with a heavy old 20 you will want a trailer for sure as Fen says but that of course takes away much of the SIB attraction.

It's all a huge compromise.

Not familiar with Boatlife (trade show?) but what looks simple and neat on a show stand is a different matter in real life on a muddy launch site, rocky coast or gusty wind over tide launch over a steep beach etc.
Old 18 January 2024, 11:41   #6

Have a squint at this video and many others I have of the Honwave

Old 18 January 2024, 13:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
It's a tricky one - that is pretty much more than anyone would regularly want to unpack- set up, launch - a heck of a faff and effort even for two people. Hence most go air floor if packing away each time (check the 'Which SIB' topic to save repeating all the same stuff) and something around 3.5m.

Bigger and especially with a heavy old 20 you will want a trailer for sure as Fen says but that of course takes away much of the SIB attraction.

It's all a huge compromise.

Not familiar with Boatlife (trade show?) but what looks simple and neat on a show stand is a different matter in real life on a muddy launch site, rocky coast or gusty wind over tide launch over a steep beach etc.
Boat Life is the relatively new show at the NEC Worth a visit
Old 18 January 2024, 17:22   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Some videos on the slightly smaller Carbon Pro 365 (probably the absolute maximum size hard floor SIB I'd car boot/daily setup). Looks very smart...

Tags
sib