Old 16 June 2013, 17:25   #1

Make: Highfield
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 hp
Zoom SP400 vs Classic 2C vs Honwave T40-AE

I am looking to get my first SIB but want some advice. I have some experience with 5m Ribs and sailing dinghies. I plan to use it around the Scottish coast so it will not always be flat conditions, so typically a short 0.3m chop with a longer 1 to 1.5 m swell on top. The use will be mainly going around the North sea coastal areas small islands such as Bass Rock, possibly fishing but mainly looking at wildlife as well as a certain amount of general playing around and pulling the teenagers on a wakeboard, landing on beaches for a picnic.

I suspect that often it will be me only or just with my son, though could have a whole family of 4 people. Realistically using I am looking at using once a week or so through the summer and used for holidays as well.

Size wise I have been thinking that a 4m SIB is about the right size. I plan to put a 20 hp (Honda, or Yamaha, or Tohatsu) on the back. Tiller steered with possible electric start if I can afford it. A SIB would be packed away for the winter but would look to use a trailer in the summer.

The Zodiac classic is the best made but also the most expensive. If I went for the Zodiac Zoom or the Honwave would I see much difference in handling performance and durability. The zoom has glued seems, not sure about the Honwave.

Any comments or experience or thought on the Honwave or Zoom or the above plan?

Thanks,
David
Old 16 June 2013, 17:49   #2

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I have a zodiac mk2c with the aluminium floor, a trailer and a Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke.

I think it's a great package, even folding it away to use when I take the caravan away.

I also have the zodiac launching wheels which work well.

Craig
Old 22 June 2013, 17:25   #3

69mcw,
Thank you for your reply, that sounds like a good setup.
I went down to Bosun's Locker (Port Edgar) last week to have a look at the Honwave and they also had a Zodiac and an Areotech 380. But they also had the Highfield ribs, namely a Classic 360 that has an Ali hull and weights less than the T40. I've got the wife's approval for the Classic & F20 Honda so that is want I am going for. It is like a SIB but with a hard floor.

I note that you are also in Scotland. Do you do much coastal work such as going round the islands in the Forth etc? I've seen on some web sites that anything less than 4m is only good for inland use, what had you found using your set up?

Regards,
David
Old 22 June 2013, 17:32   #4

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
having had a few sibs and some experience of your waters and given the fact you will use a trailer anyway I would buy a small cheap rib they are better in every way especially if its not calm . unless you need the folded dimensions of a sib for a specific reason . A light rib like the 4.2 tohatsu with the tubes deflated is actually easier to store and shift about than a similar size sib its not much bigger than a kayak and could hang inside a garage in the winter .
Old 23 June 2013, 07:43   #5

Make: Destroyer 5.5/Ring18
Engine: Yam 90HP/Yam200HP
I have used my SIB in the Tay, up the West round about Fort William way and also over at Kyle of Lochalsh, it has performed great, small waves or chop were no problem, but if they were big waves I think it would be an uncomfortable ride.
I have not used mine for around 1 year due to being too busy and having other water "toys" to use.
I was thinking of selling it.

Craig
Old 23 June 2013, 12:29   #6

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
That looks like a great choice, never seen them before but look nice quality. Shame you cant be a member of 'Sib Club'
Old 23 June 2013, 16:26   #7

Thanks, I see it as a hybrid. It is the weight and size of a SIB but just has a solid floor. I just ordered it today so I'll post a review of it when I've got it and tried it out.
David
Old 23 June 2013, 18:19   #8

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidlan View Post
Thanks, I see it as a hybrid. It is the weight and size of a SIB but just has a solid floor. I just ordered it today so I'll post a review of it when I've got it and tried it out.
David
Looks very good good choice , I had not seen that range of ribs before . They even quote a deadrise andgle for the hulls The honda 20 is great too runs all day on about 10 litres of fuel and is really quiet .